Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #501
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's going to be either a bank or a telco. There's really not much else in this country willing to drop that much money. That, unfortunately, is why they are only anticipating $2.5 million in naming rights per year. Scotiabank is paying $20 million in Toronto. Though only $1 million for the Saddledome.
Watch for Telus to make a big bid.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #502
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I actually think that Scotiabank pays US$32 million per year in Toronto....
lol, don't mind my math. The deal is $800 million over 20 years, so $40 million annually. Or, yeah, about $32 million American.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #503
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
One thing is for sure, it will take less time to build than a garage.
2 years, the clock is ticking!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #504
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I actually think that Scotiabank pays US$32 million per year in Toronto....
Dumb question - who would get the revenues from the naming rights to a new arena - city or Flames? And are the rights to the dome really only $1M/year?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #505
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Dumb question - who would get the revenues from the naming rights to a new arena - city or Flames? And are the rights to the dome really only $1M/year?
Under this deal, the city says they will get $2.5 million over 10 years for the naming rights for the new event center/arena.

Sounds like that is fixed regardless of whatever the naming rights deal ends up to be. It didn't specify what happens after 10 years.

And yes. From the information I can find, Scotiabank agreed to pay $20 million over 20 years for the naming rights of the Saddledome in 2010.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-23-2019 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #506
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
And yes. From the information I can find, Scotiabank agreed to pay $20 million over 20 years for the naming rights of the Saddledome in 2010.
So would this deal transfer over to the new arena, or does it end when the Saddledome gets ripped down?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #507
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So would this deal transfer over to the new arena, or does it end when the Saddledome gets ripped down?
No, it wouldn't transfer. The City and Scotiabank will certainly terminate the deal when the Flames move. There's no value in holding the naming rights to a closed arena scheduled for demolition.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #508
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post
Perhaps a dumb question - but why does the Saddledome have to be demolished in all of this? And what will go up in its place?

Thanks
The Saddledome has to be demolished for a couple of reasons:

- The land it sits on was traded to the Stampede Board for a parcel north of the dome that they currently own (for the new arena), and the dome land is a part of the future Stampede expansion plan.

- Barry Munroe said in the council meeting afterwards that the dome is at the end of its useful life and has significant structural issues that cannot be fixed, not to mention the ongoing costs of keeping a facility like that in good nick. Whether or not that was just a selling point or accurate, I don't know.

Last edited by ricosuave; 07-24-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #509
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Has any building in North America been built with the inverted bowl?

I'd be wary of being the first.
I didn't find any reference of any buildings already built with that design, so we certainly could be the first... I'm fairly certain Little Caesar's is not this design.

In the literature and videos, they state a significant reduction in space needed, construction costs, HVAC etc costs with this design compared to a traditional arena, and it looks like the one block parcel of land in the design is meant to accommodate just that design.

I'm personally pumped if it will be this design and look forward to it being a jewel among NHL arenas for that reason. The C of Red will be even more impressive!

Last edited by ricosuave; 07-23-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #510
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

You would think they should be able to get around $5 million per year on the new arena. The Flames/City will make sure to name the new arena something generic. <Sponsor> Arena, <Sponsor> Place, <Sponser> Centre, etc. They don't want the same problem with people just calling the Scotiabank Saddledome the Saddledome or dome.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #511
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
You would think they should be able to get around $5 million per year on the new arena. The Flames/City will make sure to name the new arena something generic. <Sponsor> Arena, <Sponsor> Place, <Sponser> Centre, etc. They don't want the same problem with people just calling the Scotiabank Saddledome the Saddledome or dome.
I think that's actually the difference between a presenting sponsor and a title sponsor. So, a presenting sponsor would be what we have (Pengrowth Saddledome, Scotiabank Saddledome). Whereas a title sponsor could change the full name (Pengrowth Place, Scotiabank Centre).

So, if they go the title sponsor route, they likely wouldn't name it anything because the sponsor chooses the full name. If they go presenting, they probably do pick an "iconic" name (Saddledome, Coliseum, etc.)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #512
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think that's actually the difference between a presenting sponsor and a title sponsor. So, a presenting sponsor would be what we have (Pengrowth Saddledome, Scotiabank Saddledome). Whereas a title sponsor could change the full name (Pengrowth Place, Scotiabank Centre).

So, if they go the title sponsor route, they likely wouldn't name it anything because the sponsor chooses the full name. If they go presenting, they probably do pick an "iconic" name (Saddledome, Coliseum, etc.)
Is there really a difference?

I thought the move to <sponsor> place/center/whatever was simply to make the sponsor more prevalent as was suggested. No one is paying 5 million a year to have everyone call it the dome (or whatever name). Like how people in Edmonton call it Rogers. Thats what the sponsor is paying the money for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #513
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about the split on:

1) concession revenues
2) parking revenues
3) property taxes (I assume the team won't pay since it's a city owned building)?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #514
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anybody know how this compares to what the flames are currently paying for the dome? I remember a while back reading that they have a pretty sweet deal, but don't remember the specifics.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #515
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about the split on:

1) concession revenues
2) parking revenues
3) property taxes (I assume the team won't pay since it's a city owned building)?

1) Flames operate the building, get the money
2) Stampede will share the revenues from event center events with CSEC (share isn't clear)
3) no property taxes

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #516
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about the split on:

1) concession revenues
2) parking revenues
There's no split, and no taxes as far I can see. They're projecting property taxes from other businesses that sprout up around this though.

Which is one thing that I really hope comes to be. One of the major problems with the Saddledome is there's not much convenient to have dinner/drinks before or after the game. I know they have Duttons, but outside of that, there's basically nothing. It would be great if there were a lot of options nearby to satisfy the 19,000 spectators for these events.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #517
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There's no split, and no taxes as far I can see. They're projecting property taxes from other businesses that sprout up around this though.

Which is one thing that I really hope comes to be. One of the major problems with the Saddledome is there's not much convenient to have dinner/drinks before or after the game. I know they have Duttons, but outside of that, there's basically nothing. It would be great if there were a lot of options nearby to satisfy the 19,000 spectators for these events.
The bars/restaurants downtown and on 17th hope otherwise.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #518
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there really a difference?

I thought the move to <sponsor> place/center/whatever was simply to make the sponsor more prevalent as was suggested. No one is paying 5 million a year to have everyone call it the dome (or whatever name). Like how people in Edmonton call it Rogers. Thats what the sponsor is paying the money for.
That's why there is a different cost associated with being a presenting sponsor vs. a title sponsor, AFAIK.

With the presenting sponsor, you don't have a choice, you have to keep the original name but you attach yours on to it. With the title sponsor, you can call the thing whatever you want. Arena, Centre, Dome, whatever. Whatever generic "sounds good" with your corporate entity, presumably.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #519
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The retail businesses on the outside of the new building will pay property taxes, and the Flames will be responsible for the provincial portion of property taxes once the Community Revitalization Levy is up (since it's a City building, it obviously doesn't pay the municipal portion of the taxes at all).
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #520
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That's why there is a different cost associated with being a presenting sponsor vs. a title sponsor, AFAIK.

With the presenting sponsor, you don't have a choice, you have to keep the original name but you attach yours on to it. With the title sponsor, you can call the thing whatever you want. Arena, Centre, Dome, whatever. Whatever generic "sounds good" with your corporate entity, presumably.
Yah I guess I meant is there ever a new building anymore that isn't a "title sponsor"?
Closed Thread