Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Feels like at the end of every season we're left wondering if Monahan is sick or injured. One year he most definitely was. The others? Somewhat surprisingly, no.
I think he's just a really good 2nd line center that's miscast in a 1st line role. He does one thing well and that finish around the net but when he's not doing that he has little impact on a game. The reality is that the biggest flaw with this team is that they simply lack a 1st line center that can impact games himself. Gaudreau is a really good LW but it's a lot to expect a small player to carry the offensive burden when he has to carry his center on his back.

The team is probably going to trade Gaudreau this summer but I really don't see the fortunes of the team changing much as long as Monahan is centering the first line.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #222
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Gallant is going to the Wings, Laviolette doesn't want to live in Canada, so I guess we are right back to Darryl as our coaching oprtion.
One more reason Alberta should dump Quebec and the Trudo lovers forever and join USA!!!
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #223
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
One more reason Alberta should dump Quebec and the Trudo lovers forever and join USA!!!
No. Just no. As in NO.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #224
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also felt bad for Elias Lindholm yesterday. All those comparisons to Bergeron in the media prior to the game. Some unexpected pressure dumped on his back right before puck drop.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #225
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
9/10 ****posting. Next time try to include the term 'snowflakes.'
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #226
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
9/10 ****posting. Next time try to include the term 'snowflakes.'
Bonus credit if libtard was tossed in too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #227
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I guess, one playoff victory (plus whatever this year adds to that total if the Flames make the playoffs) in five years is a pretty damning indictment on this current management group though. That is just not a great place to be in when 90 percent of your competitors have more playoff victories than your franchise over the last half decade. Whether fans are ok with it depends on ones perspective but it is hard to find quantifiable indicators of success in the last half decade.
Yeah this franchise has sucked
I don’t think I claimed otherwise
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #228
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get this political crap outta here
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #229
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think he's just a really good 2nd line center that's miscast in a 1st line role. He does one thing well and that finish around the net but when he's not doing that he has little impact on a game. The reality is that the biggest flaw with this team is that they simply lack a 1st line center that can impact games himself. Gaudreau is a really good LW but it's a lot to expect a small player to carry the offensive burden when he has to carry his center on his back.

The team is probably going to trade Gaudreau this summer but I really don't see the fortunes of the team changing much as long as Monahan is centering the first line.
I hope they keep Johnny and get an extension done. I think Monahan is the core piece that should go. He is too slow and useless when he is not scoring. He doesn't have another gear.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #230
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I hope they keep Johnny and get an extension done. I think Monahan is the core piece that should go. He is too slow and useless when he is not scoring. He doesn't have another gear.
Can’t be called a giveaway machine if you never carry the puck to begin with

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #231
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's hard to defend Monahan lately.

I get sometimes confidence is lacking but the guy seems more resigned than working to turn it around. We cant have him being invisible and getting dominated in big games, if he's working on being a better 200 foot center then he should be able to stem the tide a little better in those matchups.

I have more faith in Gaudreau making an impact from what I've seen through all this team adversity.

Maybe something lateral like Monahan for Reinhart is worth making calls about. Some kind of core transplant probably has to be made by the off season and I'm hesitant to put Gaudreau at the forefront of that when we would in all likelihood lose that trade.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #232
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
how are y'all just coming to this conclusion...
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #233
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
how are y'all just coming to this conclusion...
they should change your username to "Sanctimonahan"

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #234
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at this game, nobody is 'angry' that the Flames lost to the Bruins. For the most part, they did play well. Some players didn't look like they were performing, however. Still fine considering that the Flames played well over-all. There was a lot of good things that happened in that game - effort level, some individual contributions, Bennett still looking good as the 3rd line centre... There really isn't much to complain at all about in losing to the Bruins. They are the elite team in the NHL this year.

What people are fed up with is:
- Even being spotted a 2 goal lead, Flames were unable to lock it down at all
- Yet another loss at home
- Yet more defensive breakdowns
- Flames look like they are losing their playoff position

I think it was a fairly good overall game and effort for the Flames, and you just have to move onto the next one.

Aside from the game, what I don't like is that after 7 years of rebuilding, this team not only isn't a contender, but they are no better than a bubble team. I think coaching has been an issue over these years, but there is more than ample room to put some blame on the roster itself. GMs (Feaster, Burke and Treliving), Coaches and players.

That's why I hope that the Flames are not buyers - at the very least, not for rentals. A team should never buy a rental just to make the playoffs. It is robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

I am ok with anything else. Standing pat. Player for player trades. Selling.

I expect a lot of change in the off-season. All I wished for this deadline was a 'hockey trade' involving Hamonic who I really don't want the Flames to re-sign, but his injury has put a stop to that wish.

I will cheer them on, and I will be hopeful for the best, but I am preparing myself for the Flames to miss the playoffs. Flames are 4-6-0 in their last 10. There are no more 'good losses' left in the schedule like tonight's game where they enjoyed a 2 goal lead. Did they play well? Sure. But they lost the game and are 4-6-0 in their last 10, are clinging to the last playoff spot and have Nashville and Minnesota with 2 games in hand and 2 and 3 points respectively behind the Flames.

It is a weird season as the Flames are just 4 points back on first in the division, but that's a pipe dream with Vegas being 7-2-1. Edmonton has a better record in their last 10, even with McDavid out. Vancouver is playing mediocre, so we will see.

Time is running out, and there are no more 'good losses' against any team, especially if the Flames find themselves ahead in a game.

This will be a very interesting trade deadline for the Flames.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #235
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I don’t know what this means.
Expected goals percentage.

Brodie-Stone got caved in and yet got all the minutes.
Kylington-Brodie were absolutely suffocatingly dominant and it was an afterthought, probably only to keep Yelesin on the bench.

Stone sucks, Brodie on the left sucks, so we keep em together.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #236
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If you look at this game, nobody is 'angry' that the Flames lost to the Bruins. For the most part, they did play well. Some players didn't look like they were performing, however. Still fine considering that the Flames played well over-all. There was a lot of good things that happened in that game - effort level, some individual contributions, Bennett still looking good as the 3rd line centre... There really isn't much to complain at all about in losing to the Bruins. They are the elite team in the NHL this year.

What people are fed up with is:
- Even being spotted a 2 goal lead, Flames were unable to lock it down at all
- Yet another loss at home
- Yet more defensive breakdowns
- Flames look like they are losing their playoff position

I think it was a fairly good overall game and effort for the Flames, and you just have to move onto the next one.

Aside from the game, what I don't like is that after 7 years of rebuilding, this team not only isn't a contender, but they are no better than a bubble team. I think coaching has been an issue over these years, but there is more than ample room to put some blame on the roster itself. GMs (Feaster, Burke and Treliving), Coaches and players.

That's why I hope that the Flames are not buyers - at the very least, not for rentals. A team should never buy a rental just to make the playoffs. It is robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

I am ok with anything else. Standing pat. Player for player trades. Selling.

I expect a lot of change in the off-season. All I wished for this deadline was a 'hockey trade' involving Hamonic who I really don't want the Flames to re-sign, but his injury has put a stop to that wish.

I will cheer them on, and I will be hopeful for the best, but I am preparing myself for the Flames to miss the playoffs. Flames are 4-6-0 in their last 10. There are no more 'good losses' left in the schedule like tonight's game where they enjoyed a 2 goal lead. Did they play well? Sure. But they lost the game and are 4-6-0 in their last 10, are clinging to the last playoff spot and have Nashville and Minnesota with 2 games in hand and 2 and 3 points respectively behind the Flames.

It is a weird season as the Flames are just 4 points back on first in the division, but that's a pipe dream with Vegas being 7-2-1. Edmonton has a better record in their last 10, even with McDavid out. Vancouver is playing mediocre, so we will see.

Time is running out, and there are no more 'good losses' against any team, especially if the Flames find themselves ahead in a game.

This will be a very interesting trade deadline for the Flames.

I expect this to be a very boring deadline for the Flames. We aren’t good enough to buy, aren’t bad enough to sell. I have a feeling that the team we have is the team that will have to make a push for a playoff spot.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #237
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
We aren’t good enough to buy, aren’t bad enough to sell.
We're 20th in a 31 team league. I think that's bad enough to sell if the ultimate goal is to build a contender.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #238
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We're 20th in a 31 team league. I think that's bad enough to sell if the ultimate goal is to build a contender.
I agree, but given our injury situation and being in a wild card spot for the time being it puts us in a tough spot.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #239
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny how quickly expectations change.

We almost beat the best team in the league.

A year ago a win on home ice against BOS would have been expected. We were supposedly an elite team heading into the playoffs.

A year later and it’s back to accepting mediocrity as the norm.

Prove me wrong Tre and make big changes this summer.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #240
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Funny how quickly expectations change.

We almost beat the best team in the league.

A year ago a win on home ice against BOS would have been expected. We were supposedly an elite team heading into the playoffs.

A year later and it’s back to accepting mediocrity as the norm.

Prove me wrong Tre and make big changes this summer.

Exactly.

Flames organization has lowered the bar back down to the point where we're supposed to be thrilled with moral victories again.

Yay! We gave an actual elite team a run for their money on home ice and didn't get embarrassed!

Well whoopty doo
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote