Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 11:12 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Kings 4 Flames 1

Kings 4 Flames 1

- Flames down 3-0 early
- Markstrom battled hard
- Huberdeau breaks the shut out
- Some help on the out of town scoreboard
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 07:04 AM   #2
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Flames can move into the 7th spot if Ottawa keeps their pace and finishes at 77 points, and the Flames go 0-3-1 in their final four.

Calgary has to win out to not draft 8th (and even then it's down to tie breakers).

I think fans can stop worrying about winning hockey games.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 07:15 AM   #3
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Flames can move into the 7th spot if Ottawa keeps their pace and finishes at 77 points, and the Flames go 0-3-1 in their final four.

Calgary has to win out to not draft 8th (and even then it's down to tie breakers).

I think fans can stop worrying about winning hockey games.
But if we lose out, we could still move up to 5th? All 3 teams behind us picked up points in their most recent game?

Ari and MTL 2 points back with 3 games to go.
Ott 1 point back with 2 games to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course. But it seems to me we should still be cheering pretty damn hard for losses.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:44 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
But if we lose out, we could still move up to 5th? All 3 teams behind us picked up points in their most recent game?

Ari and MTL 2 points back with 3 games to go.
Ott 1 point back with 2 games to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course. But it seems to me we should still be cheering pretty damn hard for losses.
I go on pace.

Sure you could pencil in Ottawa winning out etc and that would change everything.

Ottawa at .468 is on a 77 point pace. Calgary at a 79 point pace, to get Calgary to 76 in 4 games would take a 0-3-1 record.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 08:02 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night's loss eliminated PIT, WAS, DET, and PHI from our grasps. We can now only reach 83 points so the worst we can finish is 12th.

If the Flames win out (4-0-0): they can finish as high(?) as 12th, if MIN loses all 4 of their games in regulation. Otherwise, the Flames can only get as high as 11th.

If the Flames finish 2-2-0 or worse: the highest they can finish is 9th, and that requires SEA to lose all 4 of their games in regulation (which is a possibility).

If the Flames lose all 4 games in regulation (extremely unlikely): ARI can pass us by getting at least one point in their 2 games with the Oilers. OTT plays MTL Saturday. If OTT wins, they are already past us. If OTT loses in OT, they need one more point against NYR or BOS to pass us. MTL would need 3 points from OTT and their home and home with DET.

In other words, the Flames can still finish as low as 5th and as high as 12th, but is almost certain that they finish 8th or 9th.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 08:02 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I go on pace.

Sure you could pencil in Ottawa winning out etc and that would change everything.

Ottawa at .468 is on a 77 point pace. Calgary at a 79 point pace, to get Calgary to 76 in 4 games would take a 0-3-1 record.
with 2 to 4 games left for each team, pace doesn't apply
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 08:08 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
with 2 to 4 games left for each team, pace doesn't apply
I hear you.

But I think it's still a better indication than the mental gymnastics of Montreal and Ottawa winning out and the Flames losing out to get to a magical place that is unlikely as hell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 08:28 AM   #8
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames schedule is way too easy in the next 4 games. Key game is losing to Arizona. If we can choke against 1 of the Ducks or the Sharks and lose to in Vancouver, we have a chance to slip still.

Montreal plays Ottawa so whoever wins that game is the team to watch and Arizona if they beat us. Arizona plays the Oilers twice, but they may be cemented in 2nd, If not, they might play to win the division.

Ottawa plays Boston and Rangers Both teams could clinch 1st in the division soon. If that happens, they could rest players.

The Flames need some teams to get eliminated or clinch their division.

Montreal plays Detroit twice, but Detroit could be eliminated from the playoffs by the last game.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:33 AM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest concern is SEA. They play four good teams: DAL, STL, WPG and MIN, and all 4 are still fighting for playoff position.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:12 AM   #10
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
My biggest concern is SEA. They play four good teams: DAL, STL, WPG and MIN, and all 4 are still fighting for playoff position.
I don't think the Flames are going up, they are 5 and 12 since the Hanifin trade. They are pacing to be a 48-point team with the current roster.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:23 AM   #11
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hear you.

But I think it's still a better indication than the mental gymnastics of Montreal and Ottawa winning out and the Flames losing out to get to a magical place that is unlikely as hell.
I doubt we get into the 5 spots, to me that is very unlikely.

But the odds of slipping are still likely. The teams behind us are young teams, with young players really breaking out of late and excited to come to the arena each day. management will want to keep that momentum going. Cooley and Guenther, they are on fire of late. Slafkovsky, Suzuki and Cauflield are playing great. Ottawa has Tkachuk, Batherson and Stutzle all playing great and Chabot back and healthy. These teams have never been in the race but playing good of late and all because of the future of the team.

Flames have been playing 48-point pace hockey since the Hanifin deal, a team with a lot of vets carrying them and those vets were playing for the playoffs and then trades happened. They are still playing hard, but it has to be much harder come to the arena every night now and play hard to win game than it was around a month ago.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:25 AM   #12
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a matter of two months I've gone from "they won't make the playoffs but what if" to "they won't win the draft lottery but what if".
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:36 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I doubt we get into the 5 spots, to me that is very unlikely.

But the odds of slipping are still likely. The teams behind us are young teams, with young players really breaking out of late and excited to come to the arena each day. management will want to keep that momentum going. Cooley and Guenther, they are on fire of late. Slafkovsky, Suzuki and Cauflield are playing great. Ottawa has Tkachuk, Batherson and Stutzle all playing great and Chabot back and healthy. These teams have never been in the race but playing good of late and all because of the future of the team.

Flames have been playing 48-point pace hockey since the Hanifin deal, a team with a lot of vets carrying them and those vets were playing for the playoffs and then trades happened. They are still playing hard, but it has to be much harder come to the arena every night now and play hard to win game than it was around a month ago.
I'm hoping too!

But I just don't go down the "everything goes our way" path. Never ends well.