Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #61
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The key is to pick the server with the dumbest name, people flock to servers named SkullCrusher etc.

From that list I like
Ehmry Bay or
Yak’s Bend

I would stay away from Gate of Madness, lol.
I vote for Yak's Bend......just because it makes me giggle
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #62
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a little advice to those wanting to join the stress tests. The lag is horrible on purpose as they are pushing the boundaries of the servers to help ensure a smooth launch. I just don't want newer people to expect this type of performance on launch day. The beta weekends, on the other hand, have been near flawless.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #63
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hrmm ok I restarted the game and my loading problems seemed fix.. still taking a bit of time, especially the borderlands.

This happening for anyone else or is it my old balls computer?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #64
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I vote for Yak's Bend......just because it makes me giggle
I would second Yak's Bend.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #65
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Hrmm ok I restarted the game and my loading problems seemed fix.. still taking a bit of time, especially the borderlands.

This happening for anyone else or is it my old balls computer?
Stress test side effect likely.

Considering this game...more of a "role player" than competitive player though. How much fun is there in a game like Guild Wars if I'm not exactly excited by multi-accounting for PvP (and likely not going to play with optimized builds)?

If I join, I third Yak's Bend. And call dibs on the name "Trolli Jokinen"
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Stress test side effect likely.

Considering this game...more of a "role player" than competitive player though. How much fun is there in a game like Guild Wars if I'm not exactly excited by multi-accounting for PvP (and likely not going to play with optimized builds)?

If I join, I third Yak's Bend. And call dibs on the name "Trolli Jokinen"
I hadn't played my GW1 account since maybe 2006, but when I logged in the other night I found my old Ra/Mo named Dijon Phaneuf.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #67
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yak's bend is where I have told a few of my friends.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #68
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's officially unofficial! Yak's Bend can be the CP server.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #69
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yak's Bend was the server I chose for the stress test

Played for a few hours, did a few levels and took part in some events. Got to run around in the Borderlands for a bit as well which eventually loaded.

Overall seems like a well polished game, lots of content and variety which I like, looking forward to release.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #70
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm pretty much sold on pre-purchasing...tonight!

I've been watching videos, reading this thread and Googling as much info on it I could find. THIS is the MMO I have been waiting for.

So...are we all agreed on 'Yak's Bend' as being the CP server? I think it would be great to play together or start a guild.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #71
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

never played Guild Wars, but pre-ordered this after watching a good number of those behind the scenes features and trailers.

Pretty excited!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #72
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

If you want to be on the "winning" server and have a ton of fun doing it, I will post the name a couple of hours prior to release.

In the beta our guild has been pretty much cleaning up WvW.

www.teamlegacy.net
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #73
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
I'm pretty much sold on pre-purchasing...tonight!

I've been watching videos, reading this thread and Googling as much info on it I could find. THIS is the MMO I have been waiting for.

So...are we all agreed on 'Yak's Bend' as being the CP server? I think it would be great to play together or start a guild.
I would offer to start a guild but having no in-game knowledge I probably wouldn't be the best candidate.......well that and I would name the guild "The Matt Stajan Fan Club"
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #74
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I would offer to start a guild but having no in-game knowledge I probably wouldn't be the best candidate.......well that and I would name the guild "The Matt Stajan Fan Club"
The Fractured CP States of Jay Bouwmeester
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #75
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If you want to be on the "winning" server and have a ton of fun doing it, I will post the name a couple of hours prior to release.

In the beta our guild has been pretty much cleaning up WvW.

www.teamlegacy.net
That looks pretty intense.. one thing I wonder about this game is whats stopping people from just jumping ship to your server if you are dominating?

At least in DAOC you would have to re roll and lose your realm ranks.

They should strip gear or something if you switch sides.. there needs to be a harsher penalty. They have that limited time can't participate in PvP rule, but thats weak.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #76
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I think you have to pay for server transfers, don't you?

I mean there will be 3 servers pitted against eachother each week and I think it scales based on population / results, so you'll have certain "tiers". I.E. the worst server likely wont ever be matched up against the top one.

There will be multiple winners I think based on that.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #77
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I think you have to pay for server transfers, don't you?

I mean there will be 3 servers pitted against eachother each week and I think it scales based on population / results, so you'll have certain "tiers". I.E. the worst server likely wont ever be matched up against the top one.

There will be multiple winners I think based on that.
Im pretty sure I read somewhere server transfers were free, but the ranking thing I forgot about.. thats true, and it switches week to week so there isn't a huge point in jumping ship because the flag might be for a weeks worth of WvW you can't take part in.

Really enjoying these videos on your guilds website, I like how this guy is breaking down each stage of the fight. I feel like such a nub in this game, and I love it... brand new world it feels like which is a nice change of pace from RIFT feeling like WAR that felt like WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAEUX...layer_embedded

You seem to be quite knowledgeable Caramon, whats the fastest way to level?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #78
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so confused.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #79
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

For GL:

WvW is extremely fast for leveling, but only if your on a team which is constantly storming down objectives / capturing places - supply camps, keeps, you name it. You will also level up when defending objectives as well, so if someone is sieging a keep over a period of time, rush over there and help out. You get XP for time spent defending. You only get XP when you capture something (not while sieging), so keep that in mind.

You can take an undefended camp with 4-5 people pretty easily. Keep needs like 10ish + Flame Rams to siege.

If you're just fighting in small back and forth skirmishes in the open field not near an objective, then it isn't worth it for experience.

Go PvE during the deader times and then group up during the busy times.

During PvE, you need to make sure you always get in on the global events (so if notification pop up, drop everything and run over there), a lot of times they overlap with the "heart" quests, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Completing your class storyline also gives you big XP and they are pretty fun too.

Doing "everything" when PvEing really helps, you get big bonuses for XP when you do random daily things like "use a gathering skill 10x" or "Kill 10 rodents", "craft X of X" - those are daily bonuses you just end up getting them while questing around.

Always good to hit resource nodes whenever you can as well, good XP there.

BTW whenever you level in WvW, you get a skill point, but not when you do in PvE, you need to find the skill point tags (usually pretty easy to get).
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #80
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So with a good group WvW is a great way to level and probably the way that say you and your guild would do it. But for a guy coming into this game for the most part solo you really need to mix the two and take advantage of a good group when you find it.. pugging is so painful.

I know that they promised this game wouldn't be one of those where you are just racing to finish so you can finally start playing. So I expect the leveling experience to be the most fun out of any game I have played so far. Big shoes to fill! :P

Watching some of these videos I get a big reminder of UO in the sense of timing for PvP. In UO, being good came down to just being able to time your combos and know when was the right time to use what ability. Pretty simple in theory, and the players that understood it could handle 2-3 guys at once, and win. This game seems to be very similar to that with fewer WoWlike I win buttons.