Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #7301
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Managing to sign Hall and Petro this off season and then flipping Gaudreau and Hanifin for futures would be an asset management dream scenario in my eyes.

Older and more expensive team sure, but it would still be a very competitive team and the prospect cupboard would be restocked nicely for the future.

I just don't see any way the Flames would be anywhere near Petro's radar at all unfortunately.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #7302
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, not sure why Pietroangelo would sign here unfortunately
Old 09-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #7303
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Andy Strickland saying Pietrangelo was asking for $9.25 mil/yr from the Blues.
Yeah, figured he was asking in the 9s.

I expect he will sign in the 8s (unless he takes a 1 or 2 year deal to get past COVID)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I would much rather have Pietrangelo at 9.25 than OEL at 8.25.
The different in quality is far greater than the difference in cap.
Plus no acquisition cost. No comparison at all.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #7304
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, figured he was asking in the 9s.

I expect he will sign in the 8s (unless he takes a 1 or 2 year deal to get past COVID)

Plus no acquisition cost. No comparison at all.
I don't think Hall or Pietrangelo will be doing 1-2 year deals, I just don't see it.

Both will have options with teams who have owners committed to winning and willing to off them term and money. Plus, if Pietrangelo takes a 1 or 2 year deal - he's signing at 31/32 - that'll cut term off his deal as no one is going to be into paying him 9M while he's 39. There's simply no guarantees, and they'll be best served to lock in term while they can.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #7305
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I refuse to believe that OEL has anything other than negative value with his contract.
Even at his current age, he barely deserves 8.25 mill. Never mind OEL as a 37 year old...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #7306
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don't think Hall or Pietrangelo will be doing 1-2 year deals, I just don't see it.

Both will have options with teams who have owners committed to winning and willing to off them term and money. Plus, if Pietrangelo takes a 1 or 2 year deal - he's signing at 31/32 - that'll cut term off his deal as no one is going to be into paying him 9M while he's 39. There's simply no guarantees, and they'll be best served to lock in term while they can.
I don't either, because I think they'll be the 2 most coveted FAs. Thus, SOME team will be willing to bite the bullet and give them full price/term

I do think that a good chunk of the FA class will end up on short deals though (as there just won't be as much money to spread around this year)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #7307
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

contract wise it's looking like a trade for Dumba might make the most sense no? We have to give up an asset but at least we wouldn't be looking at some crazy $8-9M contract....
Old 09-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #7308
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't either, because I think they'll be the 2 most coveted FAs. Thus, SOME team will be willing to bite the bullet and give them full price/term

I do think that a good chunk of the FA class will end up on short deals though (as there just won't be as much money to spread around this year)
Yeah for sure - some players are going to get squeezed and that may open up some nice deals for thrifty general managers but I still look at the big goal producing players getting paid. Hoffman will get a Neal-like deal, Dadonov will manage to get paid etc.

...saying all that, Montreal still paid 3.75M for Edmundson and that's an overpay for 5/6 defenceman in my eyes.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #7309
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Zadorov? , granted he is a lefty but plays the right side sometimes. Also takes a million penalties.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #7310
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
contract wise it's looking like a trade for Dumba might make the most sense no? We have to give up an asset but at least we wouldn't be looking at some crazy $8-9M contract....
Problem is that Minnesota wants centers and the Flames do not have an extra
Old 09-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #7311
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Absolutely, this is retirement contact time for both of them.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #7312
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only lower to mid tier guys are going to take shorter deals due to covid...top guys will get what they can. It would be incredibly risky to assume everything will be "normal" in a couple years not to mention a guy could get hurt at any time.

Good luck bridging top end players (cough Vancouver) try that and you will probably end up with an offer sheet. If the flat cap does anything it will be because big money teams will be taking advantage of the situation.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #7313
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed.

The top free agents can always find a home, they will still get 7 year deals at good value so they don't have to take a 1-2 year deals.

I could see some of the mid-tier players signing shorter deals though, for three reasons:

A) Try to get a bigger / longer term salary when the league financials are a bit more normal

B) Avoid the risk of signing and then getting exposed in the expansion draft if they can't negotiate for a NMC

C) Have a better season if they had a bit of a down year this season

Some names that I think could fit the bill of a 1-year contract this offseason:

Forwards
- Mikael Granlund (This one intrigues me for the Flames)
- Craig Smith
- Erik Haula
- Conor Sheary
- Jimmy Vesey
- Cody Eakin
- Wayne Simmonds
- Alex Galchenyuk

Defense
- TJ Brodie (think he will want a NMC on a long term deal and may not get one. Might sign a 1 year deal to avoid Seattle)
- Tyson Barrie
- Sami Vatanen
- Justin Braun
- Brenden Dillon
Old 09-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #7314
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't see why Pietro would choose the flames unless it came down to money, but frankly Pietro is the exact type of player we should be willing to back the truck up for. He's everything that makes Shea Weber still a top tier D man but young enough to be reasonable for us to pick up. He's big, plays very solid D, has a good shot and excellent puck distribution skills. Plus he's got leadership experience on a cup winning squad. IMO it would be a damn foolish move not to at least throw an offer at him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #7315
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Managing to sign Hall and Petro this off season and then flipping Gaudreau and Hanifin for futures would be an asset management dream scenario in my eyes.

Older and more expensive team sure, but it would still be a very competitive team and the prospect cupboard would be restocked nicely for the future.

I just don't see any way the Flames would be anywhere near Petro's radar at all unfortunately.
Yes this would be insane. Or if another team with some upcoming UFA core players does it.

But yeah, likely more like a LSD dream scenario.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #7316
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Agreed.

The top free agents can always find a home, they will still get 7 year deals at good value so they don't have to take a 1-2 year deals.

I could see some of the mid-tier players signing shorter deals though, for three reasons:

A) Try to get a bigger / longer term salary when the league financials are a bit more normal

B) Avoid the risk of signing and then getting exposed in the expansion draft if they can't negotiate for a NMC

C) Have a better season if they had a bit of a down year this season

Some names that I think could fit the bill of a 1-year contract this offseason:

Forwards
- Mikael Granlund (This one intrigues me for the Flames)
- Craig Smith
- Erik Haula
- Conor Sheary
- Jimmy Vesey
- Cody Eakin
- Wayne Simmonds
- Alex Galchenyuk

Defense
- TJ Brodie (think he will want a NMC on a long term deal and may not get one. Might sign a 1 year deal to avoid Seattle)
- Tyson Barrie
- Sami Vatanen
- Justin Braun
- Brenden Dillon
I want RHS as a priority for the Flames. So the likes of Vatanen, Schultz and Barrie on D are just fine to me.

From that list yes, Granlund is like a top choice for me for the Flames to target. He is versatile positionally and is a safe bet production wise. Could be a fit at C to push Backlund to 3c. Or wing, just a ton of options there.

A cheap flyer on Galchenyuk is okay too. I said, a cheap flyer. He either produces or he doesn't, if the contract is right, no big loss. Theres a lot to like to signing him, but there's equal parts to dislike.

Not a ton of desirable UFA RHS forwards so I'd look at the RFA class and see if I could shuffle the deck chairs a bit. Mangiapane comes to mind in that department.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-21-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #7317
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What about Zadorov? , granted he is a lefty but plays the right side sometimes. Also takes a million penalties.
Zadorov might sign in Calgary, just so Lucic won’t beat him up.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #7318
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
I’m old enough to have watched all the players you guys have been talking about.
Forbort is no Tabby or Brathwaite, Freddy’s name was chanted through the Dome During his hey day. I don’t recall the chants of FORBORT FORBORT last season😁
A 20,000 strong chant of “Bort! Bort!” would be pretty epic tho.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #7319
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Maybe you flip one of those guys for a goalie and consider yourself a contender.

Of course most every team in the league are thinking they'd like to sign two elite players at reasonable contracts and flip redundant players for assets.

Like how signing Tavares would have been a game changer.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #7320
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe you flip one of those guys for a goalie and consider yourself a contender.

Of course most every team in the league are thinking they'd like to sign two elite players at reasonable contracts and flip redundant players for assets.

Like how signing Tavares would have been a game changer.
Signing Tavares would have been a game changer, if Dubas had the guts to sign Marner for 2M less, and trade Nylander once he sat out before deserving the contract that he eventually signed. It wasn't really the Tavares part of the equation that messed things up for them.
Closed Thread