Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #1921
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Are you sure that the gas taxes don’t cover road budgets in Canada? I’ve heard this before but never seen it mathed out

https://twitter.com/CBCEdmonton/stat...735473162?s=20

Alberta Transportation has a $468M operating expense, on top of ~$1.4B/year in capital projects.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3c46...ry-2021-24.pdf

(Tried to filter out the non road-specific projects like LRT and Water Management that was also part of Alberta Transportation's allotment. While there might be certain wastewater projects done specifically to protect road infrastructure, there's really no way of knowing with the data available).

So pushing well past the fuel tax amount before we get to the municipal operating and capital budgets.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #1922
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Why can’t you store other things on the roadway? Because for a motor vehicle to be on the roadway, it must be registered, insured, and moveable?
We have shipping containers that are registered, insured, and moveable already. Would happily pay the $85 to register it for being allowed to park on a street on top of it. Our last one was dropped off by the same tow truck that took away a vehicle so movability isn't an issue.

Quote:
Fuel also carries a heavy tax that goes to fund infrastructure you can choose to cycle, walk, bus, or otherwise use.
A heavy tax that still doesn't make up for the lost land value that goes to subsidizing storage space.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #1923
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'd be down with getting a shipping container sat out front.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #1924
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'd be down with getting a shipping container sat out front.
Convert it into one of those parklet ones the city has out this year, great space to get together with friends while furthering the "War on Cars".
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #1925
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How is this parking tax to work? If both my wife and I park in our garage would we still pay the tax? I'm actually for a tax like this if it makes people start parking in their driveways and garages. I've always been surprised how many people in my community park in the street instead of their driveways. I get that a lot of people use their garages for storage but it to see residential streets lined up with cars while driveways are empty and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If the street in front of your home doesn't have a "No Parking - Except by Permit" sign posted on it somewhere (or any other parking restrictions), there are no restrictions and anyone can freely park there whenever they want. This is the situation for the overwhelming majority of homes in Calgary.

If the street in front of your home has a permit-only parking restriction, you are required to have a permit in order to park on that street. This requires you to register your vehicle with the city so that it won't be ticketed by the automatic enforcement vehicles. Currently, the resident of any home that is adjacent to such a road can register up to 2 vehicles for free. You can also get one visitor permit for free that can be used by anyone visiting you for a short period of time. It currently costs a little over $100 every two years to register any additional resident vehicles beyond the free 2.

Starting in 2023 (unless something else changes before then), there will be a small fee to register vehicles in this system. Each resident will still be able to register one vehicle for free, but any additional vehicles and visitor permits will cost $15 per year to register.

An option for those who don't want to pay this registration fee is to request the city remove the permit-only parking requirement from their street.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #1926
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
An option for those who don't want to pay this registration fee is to request the city remove the permit-only parking requirement from their street.
... or just park off-street in your garage/carport/pad/driveway.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #1927
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

https://twitter.com/CBCEdmonton/stat...735473162?s=20

Alberta Transportation has a $468M operating expense, on top of ~$1.4B/year in capital projects.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3c46...ry-2021-24.pdf

(Tried to filter out the non road-specific projects like LRT and Water Management that was also part of Alberta Transportation's allotment. While there might be certain wastewater projects done specifically to protect road infrastructure, there's really no way of knowing with the data available).

So pushing well past the fuel tax amount before we get to the municipal operating and capital budgets.
Not sure that’s a fair conclusion without having any of the data indicating what capital projects aren’t related to public use roadways, let alone transit oriented improvements.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #1928
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
... or just park off-street in your garage/carport/pad/driveway.
If you have one.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #1929
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm finding this entire parking discussion entertaining but the origin was that I said it's going to be a tough decade for Calgarians. Province is cutting back and our city is struggling for revenue and so they are going to increase taxes and/or start charging for things that used to be free, like parking in front of your home.
1) The provincial government is not so much "cutting back" as they are taking a bigger share of the property tax revenues. It's an indirect provincial tax increase. In essence they're taking money from the municipalities' budgets in order to pad the provincial tax revenues, and pushing the blame for "raising taxes" on the municipalities, even though the municipalities overall revenues will ultimately be relatively flat year-over-year. No doubt the ignoramuses among us will go along with the province's finger-pointing and blame the municipalities.

2) "Parking in front of your home"—which is to say permit-only parking that forbids other people from parking in front of your home—has never been free, it's just been buried in general spending. Why shouldn't this be a "user fee"? It always should have been, and like getbak I was surprised to learn it wasn't already!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #1930
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If you have one.
Bylaw says you have to have one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #1931
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to add to the paid parking. I live in the beltline and have a parkade, but i needed to move my car for cleanings about twice a year so i applied for a parking permit outside my building.

I was actually blown away i didnt have to pay anything for it. Seemed like a missed opportunity at the time... until i parked on the street for 5 days and mistakenly parked in a paid zone. They got about 5 years of parking permit fees off the tickets i paid
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #1932
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bylaw says you have to have one.
My friend's place in Ramsay is so old that it actually does not have one. It has the curb entry to accommodate one, but the City has filled it with grass.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #1933
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Gary Bobrovitz will announce his candidacy for the Ward 8 seat tomorrow morning. Interesting move as his name recognition is through the roof, he was on tv five days a week for almost forty years.
Power lifter Gary Bobrovitz?

https://twitter.com/user/status/534047846438547456
Old 07-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #1934
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My friend's place in Ramsay is so old that it actually does not have one. It has the curb entry to accommodate one, but the City has filled it with grass.
Alright, so there may be some incredibly rare exceptions because of grandfathered conditions...

Almost all of the houses in Ramsay have an alley with detached garage in back. You could probably count the number of properties in the neighbourhood without off-street parking on one hand. That's true of most of the inner city.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #1935
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Alright, so there may be some incredibly rare exceptions because of grandfathered conditions...

Almost all of the houses in Ramsay have an alley with detached garage in back. You could probably count the number of properties in the neighbourhood without off-street parking on one hand. That's true of most of the inner city.
Except literally all the inner city row houses being built with 8 units (4 primary with 4 basement secondary suites) that have 4 on site parking spaces. As noted earlier in this discussion, those are done with parking requirements explicitly relaxed on the basis that street parking is available.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #1936
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Gary Bobrovitz will announce his candidacy for the Ward 8 seat tomorrow morning. Interesting move as his name recognition is through the roof, he was on tv five days a week for almost forty years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
TV Gary Bobrovitz is Power Lifter Gary Bobrovitz.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #1937
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
TV Gary Bobrovitz is Power Lifter Gary Bobrovitz.
I know, I saw something about it many many years ago and didn't know if he had kept doing it or what. I guess he still was even a couple of years ago.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #1938
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Except literally all the inner city row houses being built with 8 units (4 primary with 4 basement secondary suites) that have 4 on site parking spaces. As noted earlier in this discussion, those are done with parking requirements explicitly relaxed on the basis that street parking is available.
Also, ain't no one fitting two cars in a 20x20 inner city garage.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #1939
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I know, I saw something about it many many years ago and didn't know if he had kept doing it or what. I guess he still was even a couple of years ago.
A long, long, long time ago (I'm guessing around 38 years ago), my brother and I joined a gym downtown owned by a weightlifter who garnered some success in the bodybuilding world. I'd see Gary there every once in a while, and it was one of my first encounters with celebrity.

I always assumed he was just trying to stay fit, but looks like he got serious. Pretty cool to see his accomplishments!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #1940
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Where exactly is this "noted earlier in this discussion"?

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat