Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #181
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Valimaki with a strong game tonight, hit crossbars, drew penalties. 1a +2 in a 3-2 shootout loss to Seattle.

Since coming back from injury:
4gp 0g 3a +4
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #182
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Valimaki with a strong game tonight, hit crossbars, drew penalties. 1a +2 in a 3-2 shootout loss to Seattle.

Since coming back from injury:
4gp 0g 3a +4
Don't forget to mention he's a shot-generating machine. Had 9 shots on goal last night. Averaging over 4 shots a game. Amazing
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #183
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Feb 9:

Joly was injured at the end of January. He hasn't played since then but the injury is reported not to be serious.

Sarnia's game against Kitchner was postponed

Gawdin scored 2 goals in a 5-1 win over PA. 14 game point streak in which he has scored 14g+12a in that span and averaged 3.6 shots per game.
Gawdin is now tied for 1st in WHL points, 3rd in WHL goals, 4th in assists, 2nd in PP goals, 5th in PP assists, tied 2nd in GWG, and tied 2nd in +/-
54gp 46g 53a 99pts +45

Valimaki had 0pts -1 and 8 SOG in a 3-1 loss to Portland
24gp 5g 18a 23pts +9

Dube had Kelowna's lone goal and 8 SOG in a 6-1 loss to Victoria.
36gp 24g 28a 52pts +12

In that same game Phillips had 2g +2 5 SOG. Phillips on a 16 game point streak where he has scored 13g and 18a in that span averaging 3.3 SOG. Phillips is 5th in WHL points and 5th in WHL goals
56gp 41g 49a 90pts +19

Nick Schneider made 41 saves on 45 shots in a 4-0 loss to Medicine Hat.
48gp 3.70GAA .886sv% 15w-25l

Zach Fischer had 0 pts in a 2-1 OT win over Evertt. 4 straight games without a point.
45gp 22g 14a 36pts +13
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #184
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Also a reminder as to where these prospects can play for the 18/19 season:

Must be returned to their respective CHL clubs unless they make NHL roster as they will be under 20 years old or haven't played at least 4 seasons in the CHL:
Joly*, Ruzicka*

Eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL next season as they will turn 20 before Dec 31 or have 4 or more season played in the CHL but still can be returned back to their CHL clubs as an over-ager:
Valimaki, Dube, Phillips

No longer eligible to play in the CHL and free to play in the AHL/ECHL:
Gawdin, Schneider, Fischer*

*indicates Flames have yet to sign prospect to NHL contract.

Hard to imagine that Valimaki, Dube, or Phillips get sent back to the WHL because it looks like they don't have much left to learn in that league. Even if any of them struggle in training camp, most likely will be given some AHL time before the Flames consider sending them back.

Fischer is interesting as I wonder if he has done enough for the Flames to offer him a NHL contract or if they will offer him a AHL/ECHL deal next season and see how it goes (see Ollas Mattson/Stefan Falkovsky). I think it is most likely the latter. Flames draft rights expire June 1st 2019.

Schneider is kind of disappointing as it looks like he hasn't progressed much when the Flames signed him out of camp as a free agent (Although he has played well of late and he had a good brief showing in the AHL). Flames have another 2 years on his ELC so are committed to finding a spot for him to play.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-09-2018 at 11:42 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #185
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glenn Gawdin had a goal and two assists tonight and was first star in Swift Current’s 4-2 win over Brandon. My rough calculation totals up 34 points in a 17 game scoring streak.
Nice totals, for sure, but I used to get excited counting up Max Reinhart’s points back in the day too.

Hoping this turns out better!��
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #186
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joly 1a with a fighting major + instigator in a 5-3 loss. Joiy has 2 pts in his last 2 games since return from injury. Joly has also managed to put up a new career high this season in 24 less games.
42gp 16g 33a 49pts

Ruzicka has 1a in a 3-0 win over Saginaw. After going hot for a 2 week period where he put up 10g+5a in 6 games from Jan 17 to Feb 1st, Ruzicka has gone cold. Only has 1g + 2a in his last 5 games. Kyrou has also gone relatively cold.
51gp 31g 29a 60pts +19

Gawdin remains hot. 1g+1a in a 6-2 win over Hat. 18 game point streak where he has scored 18g + 18a and 3.44 SOG in that span. At time of posting, Gawdin is 1st in WHL points, 3rd in WHL goals, 3rd in WHL assists, 1st in PP goals, tied for 1st in +/-
58gp 50g 59a 109pts +52

Valimaki currently 0 pts +1 where tri city is trailing 4-2 with 7 mins left in the 3rd.

Dube has picked up his 26th goal of the season, early in the 1st vs Kamloops.

Phillips has picked up his 44th goal of the season, just started the 2nd in a 1-1 tie. Phillips on a 20 game point streak.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #187
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

CHL update for Friday night:

Ruzicka had 3 even strenghth assists in a 6-3 win over Flint. 63pts in 54g, tied for 20th in the Q.

Joly's team didn't play Friday, but on the 21st he had 1g, 2a against Shawinigan. 54pts in 45g.

Dube was 1st star with 1g,1a in a 5-4 win over Seattle. 64pts in 43g, tied for 38th in the Dub.

Fischer has missed a string of games with an injury.

Valimaki first star with the game winning goal (Plus-2) in a 4-2 win over Kamloops. 29 pts in 31g.

Matthew Phillips was third star with his team's only goal in a 2-1 loss to Portland. 100pts in 62g, 5th in the dub.

Gawdin's team did'nt play tonight, but he still leads the league with 112pts in 60g.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #188
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Feb 24:

Joly had 2g and was named 1st star in a 5-4 win. He is having quite the February: 6gp 4g 5a 9pts 6 game point streak.
46gp 20g 36a 56pts -3

Ruzicka had 0 pts and -2 in a 2-1 loss.

Gawdin named 2nd star and had 1g in a 5-3 loss. 21 game point streak, 20g+20a in that span.
Still leads the WHL in points by 7. 3rd in WHL Goals., 3rd in WHL assists. Tied for 1st in PP goals. leads whl in +/-
61gp 52g 61a 113pts +53

Dube scored two goals. On a 3 game goal streak. 3rd period still going on.
44gp 32g 34a 66pts +12

Hat trick for Valimaki 3g +4. Game in 3rd period. Tri City up 6-1
32gp 11g 21a 32pts +16

Phillips 0 pts. Game tied 2-2 in 3rd period.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #189
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

22 game point streak on the line for Phillips.

15 minutes left in the third
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #190
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dube added an assist. Kelowna wins 6-5.

No more points for Valimaki

Phillips ended up with 0 points snapping his point streak.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #191
WAFlamesFan
Draft Pick

Valimaki with a hat trick last night. Looking real impressive right now.
WAFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #192
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Feb 25:

Joly is Mr. February. 2g+2a +4 in a 7-1 win. Named 1st star. Now up to 6g+7a in 7 February games. 7 game point streak.
47gp 22g 38a 60pts

Ruzicka had 1g+3a +3 in a 9-0 win. 1g+1a was on the PP. 2a at EV.
56gp 33g 34a 67pts +23

Gawdin named 1st star after scoring 2g+2a +5 in a 8-0 win over Edmonton. 22 game point streak, 22g+22a in that span.
At time of posting he now holds the WHL point lead by 8 points. Moves up to 2nd in WHL goals. Still 3rd in assists, 1st in PP goals, and 1st in +/-
62gp 54g 63a 117pts +58

Schneider got the night off for the Hitmen and dressed as the backup.

Fischer hasn't played for Spokane since Feb 10.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #193
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice if Gawdin turned out to be something. Don't know why the blues passed on giving him a real shot.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #194
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of CHL tonight:

Ruzicka had a goal and an assist in a 6-3 loss to the Rangers. 69pts in 57g.

Joly's team did not play.

Gawdin first star with a goal and 2 assists in a 6-4 victory over our Hitmen. 119pts in 63g to go with 101PIMs. Real deal?

Dube no pts, minus 1 in a 4-1 loss to the Cougars.

Valimaki had a tough night with no pts, minus 4 in a 9-0 spanking to Portland.

Fischer still injured.

Schneider had a front row seat to witness Gawdin's exploits, surrendering 6 goals on 34 shots. Pretty ugly 3.72 GAA with an .884 SV% for the year.

Phillips' team did not play.

Last edited by Sandman; 02-28-2018 at 02:30 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #195
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It would be nice if Gawdin turned out to be something. Don't know why the blues passed on giving him a real shot.
Is this a pure overage taking advantage of being more physically developed VS his peers? Credit to him for having an amazing year, but it sure seems weird for the blues to let him go.

Perhaps he's a good junior player that potentially has a low probability style of play to translate at the next level?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #196
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Is this a pure overage taking advantage of being more physically developed VS his peers? Credit to him for having an amazing year, but it sure seems weird for the blues to let him go.

Perhaps he's a good junior player that potentially has a low probability style of play to translate at the next level?
I am not sure on either as I haven't watched him much- but just looking at his height/weight it doesn't really seem like a physical development thing. He's pretty average size, if anything he's a bit of a lightweight at 6'1 and under 200 lbs. Also I seem to remember him playing a sort of energy forward style at training camp- am I wrong on that? That sort of game generally translates pretty well as it involves a lot of effort.

Anyone who watches him frequently care to give insight? This isn't another Bryan Cameron situation is it?

Last edited by Monahammer; 02-28-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #197
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Portland is really really good. I watched them play the Royals last week and they have 3 or 4 guys that will be in the NHL. Although, I would expect Tri-City to put up a better fight
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #198
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I am not sure on either as I haven't watched him much- but just looking at his height/weight it doesn't really seem like a physical development thing. He's pretty average size, if anything he's a bit of a lightweight at 6'1 and under 200 lbs. Also I seem to remember him playing a sort of energy forward style at training camp- am I wrong on that? That sort of game generally translates pretty well as it involves a lot of effort.

Anyone who watches him frequently care to give insight? This isn't another Bryan Cameron situation is it?
IMO, he wasn't signed by the Blues because of the fact that his size, skating, offensive output, and ability to consistently play a heavy game (which were all good, but not elite) didn't really appear to progress enough in the 2 years after he was drafted to warrant spending a contract spot on him-that is to say, he probably won't ever be a top-six forward in the NHL. I agree to a certain extent with Bubbsy's comment above that his numbers are a bit inflated this year due to the fact that he's an overager, but even so-his numbers are still impressive. He was a very high draft pick in the bantam draft.

I had the opportunity to watch him a lot at this years rookie camp, and I think he stood out for a lot of good reasons. He showed he can play a gritty, physical game (his skating looked just fine to me) but the best thing about him is his attention to the defensive side of the game, and he's always been known for his great face-off prowess. He takes his defensive responsibilities very seriously, almost to a fault as it kind of eats into his scoring opportunities. I think he has a great chance to develop into a good bottom-sixer and we as fans will really appreciate him. Just my opinion....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #199
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
IMO, he wasn't signed by the Blues because of the fact that his size, skating, offensive output, and ability to consistently play a heavy game (which were all good, but not elite) didn't really appear to progress enough in the 2 years after he was drafted to warrant spending a contract spot on him-that is to say, he probably won't ever be a top-six forward in the NHL. I agree to a certain extent with Bubbsy's comment above that his numbers are a bit inflated this year due to the fact that he's an overager, but even so-his numbers are still impressive. He was a very high draft pick in the bantam draft.

I had the opportunity to watch him a lot at this years rookie camp, and I think he stood out for a lot of good reasons. He showed he can play a gritty, physical game (his skating looked just fine to me) but the best thing about him is his attention to the defensive side of the game, and he's always been known for his great face-off prowess. He takes his defensive responsibilities very seriously, almost to a fault as it kind of eats into his scoring opportunities. I think he has a great chance to develop into a good bottom-sixer and we as fans will really appreciate him. Just my opinion....
The biggest indication about his future ability will come next season when he most likely plays for Stockton. If he can produce there then we may have gotten a very useful player for nothing. Will be interesting to follow
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #200
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't think this has been mentioned here, but D'Artagnan Joly was named player of the week in the QMJHL:

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/ultramar-...dartagnan-joly

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 03-01-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post: