Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #81
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will have to stop giving dollars (especially with term attached) to non-core players.

They need to be careful not to handcuff themselves for later (Bennett, Tkachuk, and Backlund) as well as have some wiggle room to add a potential core (or highly complimentary) piece if one becomes available.

I like Versteeg, but he doesn't fit that definition for me. I would like him re-signed for next season, but he is not a guy you throw dollars and term at any longer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #82
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They also shouldn't be giving top dollars to supposed 'core' players until they actually prove that they are 'core' players.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #83
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine where this team would be if their "core players" were playing to their potential? Get Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie and Giordano going, and this could be a scary hockey team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #84
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Imagine where this team would be if their "core players" were playing to their potential? Get Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie and Giordano going, and this could be a scary hockey team.
And a goalie...
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #85
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Versteeg is good, but he is clearly a stop gap. We need to make chances available for young scoring wingers next year like Poirier, Mangipane and Klimchuk to take spots. If any of these guys don't cut the mustard, then we look at more stop-gap options.

Other option is we find a long-term solution on the RW from another team, or at least one that is NHL ready and can potentially be part of the core. We just don't have that bluechip RW prospect that hasn't been in the system for a long time.

MOD EDIT: For posterity, this is the 6 millionth post!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

@adater: Duchene and Landeskog remain firmly on trade block, but price is high. Sakic getting multiple offers though. Fluid situation
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #87
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Landeskog makes a ton of sense to me, plays with a ton of jam and has pretty much three straight 55 + points seasons. (Ninja edit, pims as points lol... Still though Landeskog/Bennett combo would be a nightmare to contain)

Jankowski instantly is part of the deal and I think the 1st Rd pick as well. What else does it take?? Jokipakka and Andersson/Kylington they're looking for D so it's there... They are taking Kylington obviously.

Then maybe you think bigger, Iginla is looking for a last chance, would be cool no doubt if he got it here. Trade Stajan and Bouma for Iginla - we are paying a heavy price for Landeskog so give us a good story in Iginla and take two contracts in Stajan and Bouma which still have a year left, it helps Calgary going into the off-season.

To Calgary
Landeskog
Iginla
3rd round pick

To Colorado
Stajan
Bouma
Jokipakka
Kylington
Jankowski (edit, forgot him and feels like a lot now which means this is pretty close to what it would cost)
1st round pick

Gaudreau - Monahan - Iginla
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Landeskog - Bennett - Brouwer
Ferland - Hathaway - Versteeg
Chiasson

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Wideman
Kulak - Engelland

Johnson
Elliott

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 01-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #88
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
To Calgary
Landeskog
Iginla
3rd round pick

To Colorado
Stajan
Bouma
Jokipakka
Kylington
Jankowski
1st round pick
I think they would prefer one high end guy coming back. I wouldn't trade one of our good young guys for that package.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #89
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love that trade if we could keep Janko.

Sounds like teams are more interested in Fox, so maybe him instead of Kylington.

And Stajan and Janko inclusion hurts.

Might be a balanced enough trade to happen. I'd make that trade. Landeskog is legit.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 01-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #90
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, you can't just add players until it feels like you're giving up comparable value.

If we're getting Landeskog, we're saying goodbye to Bennett, Brodie, Hamilton, Tkachuk, or (at very least) Backlund. If it's Backlund, then you're probably adding the 1st and/or a top prospect.

At that point, I don't know why the Flames are trading any of those guys for another LW. Landeskog is great, but is he a huge improvement? Or just a new, admittedly very pretty toy?

EDIT: I actually wouldn't be opposed to trading Bennett for Landeskog. I think that gets a deal started, pushes our window up a little bit but it might be worth it. That's if Bennett is going to continue to bounce back and forth between LW and C. Bennett could become better than Landeskog but I think you have to take some risk of the deal looking bad in the future if you're getting a top player under 25.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 01-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #91
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I'm sure the Avs can do better than that. They aren't going to want a pile of stuff - they are going to want a high end asset equal to Gabby.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #92
spennywalks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

To Calgary
Landeskog
Iginla
3rd round pick

To Colorado
Stajan
Bouma
Jokipakka
Kylington
Jankowski (edit, forgot him and feels like a lot now which means this is pretty close to what it would cost)
1st round pick
I want whatever you are on.
The Following User Says Thank You to spennywalks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #93
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Honestly if a package around Jankowski and Kylington and some depth players were all it took, Landeskog or Duchene would be already gone from Denver. I feel that most of the league could offer a package equivalent to or better than anything involving Jankowski and Kylington as the main pieces.

Unless Sakic is extremely high on either prospect
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #94
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

A lot of teams can offer a blue chip D prospect and blue chip C prospect and mid 1st Rd pick?

Curious to know which teams can do that or are willing to do that for Landeskog without mortgaging their future?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #95
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
A lot of teams can offer a blue chip D prospect and blue chip C prospect and mid 1st Rd pick?

Curious to know which teams can do that or are willing to do that for Landeskog without mortgaging their future?
Well if you consider them blue chip prospects that is where we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Good prospects yes, but wouldn't consider them blue chip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #96
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess it depends on how you value Kylington and Jankowski. I'm pretty high on both, but I definitely don't see them as blue chip.
They're both very promising, but not guaranteed can't miss NHL players.
I think a lot of teams have equivalent prospects that they might feel are expendable for a Landeskog/Duchene level NHL player.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #97
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Well if you consider them blue chip prospects that is where we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Good prospects yes, but wouldn't consider them blue chip.
Understood.

But I dont know how Kylington couldnt be considered a Blue Chipper - WJC top 2 dman for his country.
Projected top 10 draft pick until he fell off due to "attitude issues"
Logging big minutes in stockton and a sure bet to make the NHL with top 4 expectations.

Jankowski, an argument could be made but would be a bit more of a stretch as nothing is a sure thing with him. He could be anywhere from Joe Thornton 2.0 to Joe Colborne 2.0

None the less, I dont know what teams can afford to offer their best Center prospect and arguably their best D prospect and their 1st rounder and not suffer a huge setback in their organizations prospect pool.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #98
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Because the Flames have been getting good production and effort out of Versteeg, Chiasson and Frolik, I'm not sure what their weakness is. Brodie has been playing amazing the past few games and Wideman has been steady for at least half the season. Hamilton is amazing and Gio is not bad.

I think if the Flames want to upgrade RW, they should target the Flyers as a trading partner, since they have 3 good right handed wingers (Voracek, Simmonds and Koceny), as well as Read for depth. But Philly is still in a playoff spot and their biggest hole is LW, and the only thing the Flames can offer is Bennett, Frolik, or Tkachuk.

Unless Philly really likes Jankowski, Mangiapane, or Klimmer, and believe these guys can jump into the NHL, I'm not sure there's a move here.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #99
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

EDIT: same point as others...not really considered blue chip prospects league-wide

Last edited by burnitdown; 01-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #100
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Because the Flames have been getting good production and effort out of Versteeg, Chiasson and Frolik, I'm not sure what their weakness is.
Their weakness is center. Neither Monahan nor Bennett has performed like a guy that can take advantage of everything Stajan and Backlund do to shelter them. They're still young (especially Bennett), but they are both outmatched most of the time. Neither is doing bad for their age, but neither is doing well despite their age.

Well, the weakness is also still RW. Neither Frolik or Versteeg is a #1

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Closed Thread