Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #321
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Here I am running 10kms and feeling pretty good about myself and others are running for so long they have to consider TP bathroom breaks. I feel like you guys are on a whole other level sometimes.

I can only speak for myself, but when I have to go, it sometimes comes on fairly suddenly and maybe there is 5 or 10 minutes before I can't hold it in any longer.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #322
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can’t add to the bathroom business, I’ve never had to go while in the middle of a run.

But for hydration, I decided to buy this unit from amazon a couple of months ago when I was doing several climbs up camelback mountain in Phoenix and starting on some longer (for me) runs. It doesn’t hold a ton of water, but it’s enough and it is comfortable to run with...no significant bouncing. It also holds my phone and wallet, and I figured out how to get it to hold a small water bottle or two as well if needed extra water.

I’m happy with it, seems well made and does what I need.

You could probably hook a roll of TP onto it as well if you needed to.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 05-29-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #323
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I carry one of these. It has a strap that goes across the back of your hand, easily holding everything in place. I fill it with my electrolyte mix, and take a sip every km. Usually lasts me for 18k. Dehydration is a b*tch. The pocket has some emergency TP in it, and I'll usually stuff a gel in there as well. Phone and wallet stay home or in the car.

(I could probably put a tenner in there also in case I come across an ice cream truck).

Last edited by Ironhorse; 05-29-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #324
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of this recent talk of TP and I had one of those close calls esterday. Weather was really nice and thought of extending my run further after I got closer to home.. but then the pangs in the bowels hit. Fortunately I was just a few blocks from the house but had to stop running and carefully walk the rest of the distance so as to not upset anything. But I was carefully scoping out all of the bushes along the trail to see if any had good enough coverage. None do, as it turns out - you're either exposed to the pathway or a long line of balconies. Fun.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #325
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is your opinion on gun time vs chip time?

I noticed that times for the Calgary Marathon were ranked by gun time, not chip time. Is this the standard? This was my first organized race so I'm not sure.

Can an expert chime in and let me know why this is?

I was loitering near the back as I don't take the race too seriously so there is quite a difference between my gun and chip times. Almost 4 mins.

To me, the chip time is your "real" time since I don't think the time from when you are standing still until you cross the start line should really count as you're just penguin-walking along with the crowd and not really exerting any energy or covering any distance.

Last edited by dubc80; 05-30-2018 at 09:38 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #326
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, all serious races use gun time. So if you care where you place, start at the front.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #327
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
What is your opinion on gun time vs chip time?

I noticed that times for the Calgary Marathon were ranked by gun time, not chip time. Is this the standard? This was my first organized race so I'm not sure.

Can an expert chime in and let me know why this is?

I was loitering near the back as I don't take the race too seriously so there is quite a difference between my gun and chip times. Almost 4 mins.

To me, the chip time is your "real" time since I don't think the time from when you are standing still until you cross the start line should really count as you're just penguin-walking along with the crowd and not really exerting any energy or covering any distance.
I believe they use gun time to decide the winners, as there is prize money etc, so they don't want some elite guy hanging back and starting minutes later so that they can disguise their actual time from other elite competitors.

But chip time is what most would consider your real time. I think chip time is also what is used for Boston qualifying times. I'm not 100% sure on that for Calgary this year, but I know it's been chip time at other events that also used gun time to determine the podium finishes.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #328
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yes, all serious races use gun time. So if you care where you place, start at the front.
Ahh cool. Thanks. Good to know. This was for the 10K so 4mins is a lot. If I was near the front I would of been about 250 placings higher. LOL.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #329
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

Within reason. If you know your pace, seed yourself accordingly and be realistic. Don't start at the front if you're an average 5min/km runner just so you can subtract a few seconds from your time at the finish. Also, it would be really depressing starting at the front and getting passed by virtually everybody.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #330
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I believe they use gun time to decide the winners, as there is prize money etc, so they don't want some elite guy hanging back and starting minutes later so that they can disguise their actual time from other elite competitors.
I can't see how that would be beneficial, if you were an elite hidden in a slow corral, then you're spending the first kilometer or two fighting past walkers, strollers, grandmas, selfie groups, etc.

in fact that's generally why I weasel myself in closer to the front when possible, because first bunch of times I stayed in my designated corral, I ended up having to pass all sorts of walkers or 7:30+ joggers that didn't care about the pace slots. yes that means the people going 4 min/km or faster have to pass me, but I figure that's less disruptive than me having to dodge entire columns of 4 or 5 friends/family jog walking arm in arm like living meat walls.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #331
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I can't see how that would be beneficial, if you were an elite hidden in a slow corral, then you're spending the first kilometer or two fighting past walkers, strollers, grandmas, selfie groups, etc.

in fact that's generally why I weasel myself in closer to the front when possible, because first bunch of times I stayed in my designated corral, I ended up having to pass all sorts of walkers or 7:30+ joggers that didn't care about the pace slots. yes that means the people going 4 min/km or faster have to pass me, but I figure that's less disruptive than me having to dodge entire columns of 4 or 5 friends/family jog walking arm in arm like living meat walls.
An elite guy only needs to hang back 15 seconds to gain an advantage. Then he can complete the run with everyone thinking he is in second. The first place runner has no incentive to push harder if he is winning already so the second place guy just needs to close the distance and pace behind him for the victory.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #332
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
in fact that's generally why I weasel myself in closer to the front when possible, because first bunch of times I stayed in my designated
I don't know what run you did but if you're not trying to q for the Boston or something then there's no point in "sneaking up to the front". You're really just becoming a part of the problem that you're trying to avoid...if anything it's worse because you're getting in the way of the elite runners who actually have something to run for.

I totally understand trying to get the best time possible but unless you have something to run for other than a pb, you should settle into the appropriate starting time slot. Just use your chip time and use that rather than the gun time.

Anyway, I totally get it because I can't stand when people that run a 10/km settle into the 4/km area and then block everyone. It's annoying AF but if you think it's annoying for you, imagine what it's like for someone trying to qualify for the Boston when you're in their way......
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #333
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I don't know what run you did but if you're not trying to q for the Boston or something then there's no point in "sneaking up to the front". You're really just becoming a part of the problem that you're trying to avoid...if anything it's worse because you're getting in the way of the elite runners who actually have something to run for.

I totally understand trying to get the best time possible but unless you have something to run for other than a pb, you should settle into the appropriate starting time slot. Just use your chip time and use that rather than the gun time.

Anyway, I totally get it because I can't stand when people that run a 10/km settle into the 4/km area and then block everyone. It's annoying AF but if you think it's annoying for you, imagine what it's like for someone trying to qualify for the Boston when you're in their way......
I didn't say I go right to the line and stand in front of Kip Kangogo and Benard Onsare and make them run around me when the gun goes off. I try to put myself where I'll be crossing the start line within 30-45 seconds of the gun. around that group of people, some will be going a faster than me, but no one in that range is trying to win the thing, and they're not going so much faster that they're almost knocking me over, the way I'd have to parkour over slow joggers if I were behind them.

and yes, when I pony up the cash to be in one of these races, I would like a shot at a PB, which is a lot harder to do if I'm crossing the start 4 minutes after gun, and then running sideways to dodge literally a thousand people for the first 15 minutes. if everyone played perfectly by the rules then it wouldn't be a problem, but the majority don't seem to, so I'm going to do everything I can to make my race not suck, while at the same time not inconveniencing anybody else.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #334
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the elites given priority? I thought it would be a mix of self-seeded vs. elite.

I did Melissa's last year for fun and seeded myself with the 5min/km people, but ended up running closer to 4:45min/km for the whole thing so it was fun passing a bunch of people and was generally pretty excited. I thought, "wow, I can't see anybody else, I must have placed really well." Not so much. My wife and kids were waiting, and like "wow, what took you so long? so many runners came already already, we are bored!".
Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #335
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are the elites given priority? I thought it would be a mix of self-seeded vs. elite.

I did Melissa's last year for fun and seeded myself with the 5min/km people, but ended up running closer to 4:45min/km for the whole thing so it was fun passing a bunch of people and was generally pretty excited. I thought, "wow, I can't see anybody else, I must have placed really well." Not so much. My wife and kids were waiting, and like "wow, what took you so long? so many runners came already already, we are bored!".
Last time I ran the Calgary marathon, the elites started just ahead of the self seeded runners. They roped off a small section for them.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #336
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually there's an announcement asking that if you're going slow to hang back a bit.

No need to start "right at the line" for a good gun time, but TTYTT if you're a good runner, make your way to the front. I'm always convinced that I'm not a super-fast runner but I always have to pass a ton of people if I'm not right at the front.

For the very large events there's a corral where they keep the sexy people.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #337
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did anyone else do the Banff to Jasper relay this past weekend?

One of the runners I met was Rachel Notley.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #338
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap. The winds in the NW are strong today. That felt like a fight to push through them.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #339
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much can the day's food intake affect a run later that day? I had a bowl of cereal in the morning and some coffee, then for lunch some instant noodles and tea. I am not sure if it was the lousy lunch and not enough plain water, or what, but when I went for my after-work run, my legs felt unusually heavy after the first hills (100m) and I just didn't feel like running anymore.

So, I am not sure if it was the crappy lunch, or if because my runs normally start with an ascent, and that is starting to wear on me. I had a great run on Thursday in the rain that was 17km and 200m gain, and then yesterday was just 8km with 100m gain.

Anybody do yoga in combination with running? My wife suggested some post run yoga poses from Youtube and I cramped up, and nearly keeled over.

I like the new Garmin watch. The GPS acquisition is faster with the GLONASS, but looks like I will need to recharge the battery again after just a couple of days of use.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #340
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

You have to fuel properly. That is one of the things that i’ve learned with my training. Poor diet = poor workouts. I’m also the main reason our family food bill has increased significantly. Protein shakes, fruits, carbs. I also crave and eat a lot more greens. On long training days I’m pushing 4,000 calories.

And yes, yoga can be good for stretching.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote