Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Well in my case, it's not a stomach bug but flu-like symptoms (headache, body ache, light-headedness) the day after getting the shot. Twice. Hard to imagine that being a coincidence. I still get it. But I'm confident the feeling crappy part is due to the shot.
Thats a natural reaction to Uranium-enriched Mercury. They dont want you to know thats what in those shots but I can see through their Lizard-Man facade!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems I've picked up the plague just before the holidays. Yay me! Ugh. Actually, feels more like a cold, I hope.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #43
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

2 weeks later and its better, but man I'm still hacking and stuffed up like crazy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #44
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The flu shot has shown to be very ineffective in recent years and recent studies have shown that serial flu shots (getting it every year) has been linked to an increased percentage of getting the flu. I get people's getting vaccine for most things but I don't get people's faith in flu shots even in good years it's 50 50 so it could never even get to herd immunization if everyone got it. People who got the big h1n1 from the 09 scare were even less likely to get future flus. But yes the flu sucks, but if youre going to question the value of a vaccine this would be the one to question at least.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #45
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I know I should totally trust what people say on the internet, but maybe for something like this, links to these studies or some other evidence would be prudent.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #46
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As requested

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...ffects-2014-15

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/serial-...hers-1.3147903

I'll have to find other papers I've read, I've tried to look at research on both sides as its effectiveness is something that interests me and there seems to be really lacking data for or against.

For being open. I guess I would have to say I'm against it but want more info, I've even volunteered for flu shot and immune response studies to learn more but I've never been picked

Last edited by Tiger; 12-19-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I have a 50% less chance of getting knocked down by the flu for 2 weeks just by taking 10 minutes to go get a shot, I have trouble seeing how that is not worth it. Obviously the flu vaccine is hit and miss, but even at 20% I'd still get it.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #48
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If I have a 50% less chance of getting knocked down by the flu for 2 weeks just by taking 10 minutes to go get a shot, I have trouble seeing how that is not worth it. Obviously the flu vaccine is hit and miss, but even at 20% I'd still get it.
Some people get sick from the shot. I've gotten the shot, got a minor cold/flu the next day. Then a month later got the real flu. I'm out. Screw the herd.

This year I really tried to improve my overall health with immune oriented vitamins and supplements. So far so good. First year ever without my labour day/back to school cold, bronchitis in November with a three month cough to boot and a Christmas flu. I guess the real test will be a house full of buggy people coming up. But it's already been a remarkable difference from the status quo.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the flu shot was everything it's cooked up to be why do I never get the flu? Ever? I've counted three people this morning staying home sick because of the flu and I know for a fact the guy in the cubicle next to me that's home today got a shot. I don't think I'm an outlier as it's really only a matter of getting a little exercise, washing your hands regularly (probably the single best thing you can do), and eating relatively healthy (I still love my burgers, pizza, etc but I eat an apple, banana, etc every day).
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #50
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The anecdotal evidence is everywhere!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If the flu shot was everything it's cooked up to be why do I never get the flu? Ever? I've counted three people this morning staying home sick because of the flu and I know for a fact the guy in the cubicle next to me that's home today got a shot. I don't think I'm an outlier as it's really only a matter of getting a little exercise, washing your hands regularly (probably the single best thing you can do), and eating relatively healthy (I still love my burgers, pizza, etc but I eat an apple, banana, etc every day).
The flu shot does not work 100%... everyone knows that. There are also hundreds of other things that can make someone sick and give flu-like symptoms that aren't the flu. People just tend to self-diagnose any illness with those symptoms as a flu.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Some people get sick from the shot. I've gotten the shot, got a minor cold/flu the next day. Then a month later got the real flu. I'm out. Screw the herd.

This year I really tried to improve my overall health with immune oriented vitamins and supplements. So far so good. First year ever without my labour day/back to school cold, bronchitis in November with a three month cough to boot and a Christmas flu. I guess the real test will be a house full of buggy people coming up. But it's already been a remarkable difference from the status quo.
Supplements and vitamins have no peer reviewed evidence that they work while the flu shot has evidence it works sometimes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #53
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
what about recent years where the flu shot has a net negative value taking it year over year? basically studies show that taking vitamin D could give you the same protection.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #54
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Supplements and vitamins have no peer reviewed evidence that they work while the flu shot has evidence it works sometimes.
So?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
what about recent years where the flu shot has a net negative value taking it year over year? basically studies show that taking vitamin D could give you the same protection.
From your link
Quote:
"The effect of prior vaccination on VE is something we've been looking at but we still don't really understand the effects," he said. "The people who get vaccinated every year, they still get a significant benefit of vaccine. It varies from year to year, but on the whole, people who get vaccinated every year have less flu than those who don't."
He advised particular caution in judging the suggestion that people who were vaccinated 3 years in a row had a higher risk of infection in 2014-15 than their unvaccinated peers.
"That's a message we'd like to be really cautious about, any suggestion that there was a negative effect. I think the consistent results between US and Canada are the low VE with the drifted strain," he said. "The negative effects we did not see in the US."
So until they change the recommendation, I'm going to continue to get it. Not just for me, but to protect those close to me who the consequences of getting the flu could be much worse.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The anecdotal evidence is everywhere!
Actually if you research everything I said can be backed up. Only 5% of the population washes their hands properly and I'm evidence of the effects of being in that 5%.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-20-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #57
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's better to go every other year?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #58
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

Jeez. Sounds like getting honked at in traffic will get you sick. You should probably get the flu shot AND take the vitamins. Why not? It's free, and as long as Canadian doctors are recommending it, it's very likely a good idea.

I appreciate the links Tiger provided, and maybe once they make a conclusion, they will modify their recommendation for flu shots, but until then, the recommendation is to get it. I guess I'm one of the herd, but I trust Canadian doctors and medical science. Just because some people that get sick 10 times a year, every year, still get sick, doesn't mean the shot is useless. How do you know that you're not avoiding a second annual flu by getting the shot? I digress. I like the 0 people queue when I go, and I like decreasing my chances of getting that seriously crappy illness. To each his own.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #59
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

another group that I forgot as I haven't read there stuff in awhile is the cochrane group. They have a good reputation of doing meta studies, I know people complain because they eliminate a lot of studies due to bias and poor methodology so it eliminates like 70% of studies according to the above link, stating only 10% of studies have good methods. Sorry if I come off as anti-vacc as I am really not (I've got every other vacc), I'm just conflicted about is the flu shot worth it

Last edited by Tiger; 12-20-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #60
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

BUMP!

It's that time of year where they ask you to get your flu shots. Anyone else getting theirs?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...open-1.4367453
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote