Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #161
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #162
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
What's frustrating about this - and you can see it in the questions asked by the interviewer - is how many people think this pipeline expansion hasn't been studied, simply because they personally weren't aware of the project until a couple months ago. It's like the Calgary SW BRT. Years of studies and consultation. Years. And then as it draws near a bunch of people who weren't paying attention squawk and complain that they didn't know and how dare the government go ahead with it.

How can you have effective planning in public policy when so few citizens engage with projects until they're about set to launch?
Bill 6 is a really good Alberta-specific example of this phenomena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #163
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm usually of the opinion that petitions are lame and useless but I've signed this one, basically all we can do at this point. If you live outside of Alberta be sure to include your postal code so that the gov can show this issue at least has some scope with other Canadians.

https://petition.alberta.ca/
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #164
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

bleh, can't figure out the tweet code.

According to this thread, BC blinked. Notley says she's confident there is a way forward for Kinder Morgan and AB will be resuming sale of BC wine.

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/966819037022969856
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #165
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Horgan is submitting his proposed regulations to the courts as a reference question.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-se...ents-1.3815308
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #166
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Presumably the feds will intervene at some point there even though they're not on the reference at first instance.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #167
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Notley wins round one.

Act like a crazy person and Horton blinks. If they lose in court than Canada is hopeless as an institution but Horgon is willing to follow the rule of law.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #168
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading that article.... what's changed?

So they wait how many years on courts?

I still stand by my estimate that it will never be completed.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #169
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Immediate ban of additional shipments of bitumen through pipelines and railways is now off the table while a study of bitumen spills if off the table. It makes it hard for BC to make a similar delaying attack in the future.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #170
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

BC will not halt bitumen shipments while they study the affects of bitumen and they will send a reference question to the court around if they have the right to regulate bitumen shipments as opposed to stopping bitumen shipments and then letting the courts decide.

Notley implemented the wine ban specifically to fight this. She now knows BC will cave so if it delays permits and other things Notley goes right back to being crazy.

Last edited by GGG; 02-22-2018 at 07:23 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #171
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This smells like a backroom deal between two NDP governments.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #172
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #173
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Naturally. Otherwise Notley would deserve some credit. Can’t have that, right?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #174
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What can Notley offer in a backroom deal? Everyone knows she's on borrowed time.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #175
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Naturally. Otherwise Notley would deserve some credit. Can’t have that, right?
If you bothered to pay attention, you'd see on the first page I posted that she took a step in the right direction. That's credit.

But hey, union guy only sees one side.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #176
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you bothered to pay attention, you'd see on the first page I posted that she took a step in the right direction. That's credit.
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Deputy Minister are NDP appointments or rose through the civil service ranks?

The non-government group is pretty strong, the political group pretty weak, and I have no idea about the DM group.

This is a step in the right direction for the premier to take and I suppose she has to appoint her fellow NDPers, at least they're supported by some non-governmental heavy hitters.
Just to bring us all up to speed, you credited her with taking a “step in the right direction” and now that that “step” has produced positive results you are trying to insinuate(without providing any reasoning) that those results are the product of a back room deal rather than what you initially credited as her taking a step in the right direction. And now you’re trying to use the initial credit you gave her(if you want to call it that) to suggest I’m one sided and you’re what exactly?

Quote:
But hey, union guy only sees one side.
You’re doing it wrong, you’re supposed to call us union thugs for dramatic effect so that it gives employees the impression we’re trouble and keeps them far far away from us instead of opting to improve their quality of life
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #177
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or a deal between the federal and BC governments. I'm sure the timing of following press release from earlier today is just entirely coincidental and not at all related to the feds offering Horgan a carrot if he agrees to stand down on pipelines.

MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #178
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Or a deal between the federal and BC governments. I'm sure the timing of following press release from earlier today is just entirely coincidental and not at all related to the feds offering Horgan a carrot if he agrees to stand down on pipelines.

They press conference had been rescheduled from an earlier date because the members from the federal government had "scheduling issues".
Old 02-23-2018, 06:06 AM   #179
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Him backing down to review the legality of his actions is him backing off so a ton of money isn't wasted on a sure loss, probably coupled with feds hinting the billions for coast safety measures is dependent on revenue generated with the pipeline.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #180
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
They press conference had been rescheduled from an earlier date because the members from the federal government had "scheduling issues".
Yup.

Quote:
• Feb. 8: Federal officials cancel a press conference with B.C. to announce increased federal support for child care because of “scheduling issues.” Provincial officials assume B.C. is being punished for challenging the federally approved pipeline.
This is the bottom line on it all....

Quote:
The province asked Ottawa to join in referring the matter to the courts. But the feds wanted no part of an action that implied there were any limitations to the federal jurisdiction in these matters.

So B.C. goes it alone.

“We will wait to hear from the courts, that’s what the rule of law is all about,” says Horgan, abandoning the notion that the province could settle jurisdictional questions by press release.

As he speaks, the premier is flanked by Environment Minister Heyman, looking almost as chagrined as when he had to stand next to Horgan at the December announcement that the New Democrats would complete construction of Site C.

In contrast to B.C.’s minister of chagrin, the Alberta premier declares herself satisfied that Horgan “blinked.” Does she think the B.C. court action has any chance of success? “Nope.”

With that, a confident Notley announces the wine boycott is over.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-23-2018 at 08:13 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post: