Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #1341
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

PIPS Board Game Cafe

7 mins ·

It is with reservations and a heavy heart that we will be closing the doors to Pips Board Game Cafe on March 25, 2018. It has been a fantastic experience and journey for over 2 years of bringing the concept of a Board Game cafe to Calgary. We hope that we not only shone a bright light on this hobby to newcomers but also leave a lasting impression and memories of fun, joy and togetherness. So many families and friends have honoured us with their choice to try out this unique concept and happily returned to eat, drink and play. The harsh realities of increasing costs and a shaky Calgary economy have led to this decision. Thank you Calgary and beyond for your support over the years and hope to bump into you within the thriving Board Game culture and hobby. Cheers.
Please take this next month to enjoy gift cards you may have
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #1342
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
PIPS Board Game Cafe

7 mins ·

It is with reservations and a heavy heart that we will be closing the doors to Pips Board Game Cafe on March 25, 2018. It has been a fantastic experience and journey for over 2 years of bringing the concept of a Board Game cafe to Calgary. We hope that we not only shone a bright light on this hobby to newcomers but also leave a lasting impression and memories of fun, joy and togetherness. So many families and friends have honoured us with their choice to try out this unique concept and happily returned to eat, drink and play. The harsh realities of increasing costs and a shaky Calgary economy have led to this decision. Thank you Calgary and beyond for your support over the years and hope to bump into you within the thriving Board Game culture and hobby. Cheers.
Please take this next month to enjoy gift cards you may have
NOOOO!

They had the best MacNCheese combo I've ever tasted. I gotta find a substitute now ugh.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #1343
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what all you board gaming playing hippies who voted NDP get!

Cool idea but always seemed to be a difficult thing to turn into a business
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #1344
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I went there a few times. I think there must be a way to make the concept work. Perhaps adding some arcade and pinball!
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #1345
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I liked Pips over the other boardgame cafes, but I think Metal Galaxy has the best model, it’s actually a game store that also sells food and has a decent reputation amongst the gaming community. The casual crowd that wants to play something like “card against humanity” probably wouldn’t enjoy Metal Galaxy due to its loud Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh regulars which what was perfect for Pips.

That being said as someone who owns tons of games, most pubs will gladly let you play games, I often play at Tipperaries near SAIT, they have some huge tables.
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #1346
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Dickens does board game events on Tuesday night and all day Sundays too. I never went to Pips. Wonder how other places like Boxcar and Hexagon are doing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #1347
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This post is terrible View Post
I liked Pips over the other boardgame cafes, but I think Metal Galaxy has the best model, it’s actually a game store that also sells food and has a decent reputation amongst the gaming community. The casual crowd that wants to play something like “card against humanity” probably wouldn’t enjoy Metal Galaxy due to its loud Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh regulars which what was perfect for Pips.

That being said as someone who owns tons of games, most pubs will gladly let you play games, I often play at Tipperaries near SAIT, they have some huge tables.
Thanks for that. Didn't know about Metal Galaxy, will have to check them out.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #1348
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Terraforming Mars, the multiple award-winning game, will soon be available on iOS, Android and Steam.

Terraforming Mars Slated for Q2 of 2018
Unless you've been living under a moon rock, you're familiar with Terraforming Mars from Stronghold Games. What you might not be aware of is that it's coming to digital courtesy of our digital overlords and masters, Asmodee Digital.

We learned about the digital release at Gen Con last year, but we weren't sure when we might actually see it arrive. Asmodee posted the Steam page today (so you can add TM to your wishlist) and has the date of release marked as Q2 2018. It's not a definitive date, but it sounds like we'll be able to play TM before June, at least on our laptops. There is a mobile version coming as well, but no word yet on whether it will arrive at the same time as the Steam version or not. A real journalist would ask them, but I'm tired.

Take a look at Terraforming Mars' Steam page here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7...armello-coming

Last edited by troutman; 03-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #1349
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh. Cool. That will actually translate pretty well to an electronic platform, I think.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #1350
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to really like Trouble.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #1351
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

GAMA Trade Show is going on in Reno right now:

http://www.gamatradeshow.com/

http://wizkids.com/2018/03/09/wizkid...ma-trade-show/

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/195...dcast-schedule

https://gameosity.com/2018/03/05/cry...ade-show-2018/

BoardGameGeek will be broadcasting live from the 2018 GAMA Trade Show from Tuesday, March 13 through Thursday, March 15.

Last edited by troutman; 03-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #1352
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Terraforming Mars, the multiple award-winning game, will soon be available on iOS, Android and Steam.

Terraforming Mars Slated for Q2 of 2018
Unless you've been living under a moon rock, you're familiar with Terraforming Mars from Stronghold Games. What you might not be aware of is that it's coming to digital courtesy of our digital overlords and masters, Asmodee Digital.

We learned about the digital release at Gen Con last year, but we weren't sure when we might actually see it arrive. Asmodee posted the Steam page today (so you can add TM to your wishlist) and has the date of release marked as Q2 2018. It's not a definitive date, but it sounds like we'll be able to play TM before June, at least on our laptops. There is a mobile version coming as well, but no word yet on whether it will arrive at the same time as the Steam version or not. A real journalist would ask them, but I'm tired.

Take a look at Terraforming Mars' Steam page here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7...armello-coming
I've played so much Terraforming Mars lately it is ridiculous. Really looking forward to this!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #1353
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Damn about Pips. I have been there about 10 times and have been to others and thought Pips had the best biz model since they actually served good food and not just pastries, beer and pop.

Rent in that location was always going to be a problem. I am saddened
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #1354
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got together with some friends Sunday and Monday and played a bunch of games.

Patchwork (x2)
Russian Railroads
Village
Agricola
Terraforming Mars (x3)
Kingdomino
The Gallerist
Kings of Air and Steam
Great Western Trail
Biblios
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #1355
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uhhhhh holy ####. How did you get through all of that? TFM, for a fast game, is around 2 hours. GWT more like three. Agricola at least three. And then you played seven more games? Did you sleep?

I played TI4 on the weekend. That was fun. Long, but fun. I was surprised by how little combat there is when you're generally so dedicated to building ships.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #1356
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We started around 3 on Sunday, played till 12:30, slept, then did a full day Monday.

We've played so much Terraforming Mars, it is about 1 hour 45 mins for us. Great Western Trail is definitely not 3, it was 90 minutes. I can not imagine if a game of that took 3 hours - what would people be doing?! LOL. Agricola was probably about 2 hours.

It helped that with the exception of Village and Kings of Air and Steam, all of us knew rules & have played multiple times so it was easy and fast to set up & get into.

I've played TI4 twice, and love it. It's way more smooth than TI3 and there are so many different ways to win. You definitely don't need to be involved in combat but a well-timed combat can be so effective.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #1357
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys go damned quick... Were you at Dickens / Sentry Box?

I think the time it takes to play these things varies hugely based on who's playing them. I almost never stall turns in TFM, especially early in a generation, but I know people who play it regularly who do that constantly. I think GWT is really a matter of whether you're planning your turn during other peoples' turns or trying to figure out what everyone's strategy is so you can block. If you do the latter, you get what looks like AP on each player's turn as they do a bunch of math to decide what the optimal move is. As for Agricola, I don't play it myself, but I've seen games with experienced players at Monday Sentry Box go for four plus hours.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #1358
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We played at a friends place. Never done the Dickens/Sentry Box thing but maybe I should. When do these games run?

Yeah that is crazy - 2 of the 3 of us who were playing are relatively fast players. We've planned our moves out well ahead of time and unless something changes drastically we can act pretty quickly.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #1359
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sundays from noon to close at Dickens, Mondays at Sentry Box from 6pm to 10pm but people sometimes get there early, Tuesdays again at Dickens from 6pm to close. Dickens Tuesdays are generally pretty well attended. Current games getting a lot of play among that crew are Great Western Trail, Terraforming Mars, Gaia Project. It tends to be a bit tougher to get more atmospheric stuff onto the table, though I've seen New Angeles being played a few times recently. That being said, don't expect games to run super quickly there.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #1360
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The #StarfinderRPG podcast from The Glass Cannon Network is finally here! Follow the link to subscribe to Androids & Aliens on iTunes, then please rate and review. Help it shoot to the top of the charts!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...s/id1376412132

Should be good - The Pathfinder podcast is hilarious (Giant Slayer Adventure Path).