Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Ski/Snowboard Thread

Anybody else starting to get excited for the new season coming up?

This year we've bought our season passes for Lake Louise again. Currently humming and hawing about upgrading to the VIP lift pass where you can just waltz to the front of the line on the base lifts. It's $999 for the family, but if Covid is kicking Alberta's ass again and the lift lines are long like last year, I think it would be worth it.

For gear...not sure if this is normal for this time of year or if there are supply chain issues, but I'm having a tough time finding a reasonable selection of stuff. I need some pants and my daughter needs a new board/bindings/boots. I think I'm just going to end up pre-ordering a board for her to make sure we get it, but I'd way rather see and feel what I'm buying before committing.

Looking forward to the new base lift at Louise, too. Should help alleviate some of the line issues at the base.

Last edited by Sliver; 11-21-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Shut up. I'm out until March.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking about new snowboarding boots for this season. It is good to see your note about gear because it will get me to start looking now to see what I can find.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No. Shut up. I'm out until March.
Noooo. Still the knee?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

ACL surgery about a month and a half ago. Might be able to do groomers towards end of season basically.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll be at the hill a ton this year, with my kid trying the ski club for the first time. It is only one day on the weekend, but still should see us out at least 30 times with other days out with the family. Perhaps my mediocre talent will improve with more time on the hill.

Need to buy slalom skis for the kid though. The club has a swap in the fall which I am hoping will work for us, as I don't really have a clue. Any suggestions from the CP hive is always appreciated.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yep, bought the family pass at Fernie, all 3 kids are on the race team so looking to get 50-60 days in. Oldest kid (1st year U16) should be around 80 days. I'm pretty pumped that we will be back on the "circuit" so to speak, traveling through the interior for races.

I also bought the VIP parking thing so I can park in front of Timber Chair. I got pretty tired of walking all over the place with 3 pairs of skis in my hands.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I'll be at the hill a ton this year, with my kid trying the ski club for the first time. It is only one day on the weekend, but still should see us out at least 30 times with other days out with the family. Perhaps my mediocre talent will improve with more time on the hill.

Need to buy slalom skis for the kid though. The club has a swap in the fall which I am hoping will work for us, as I don't really have a clue. Any suggestions from the CP hive is always appreciated.
How old is your kid? How tall? I can help out with a recommendation. When I first joined FAST the one thing I thought they really lacked was helping new parents with ski/boot/binding selection (and a lot of clubs are similar). It's pretty important to get the right stuff, as well as learning how to properly wax and tune. Once you hit U12 it starts making a huge difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only got to the the hill twice last year. Heli-skiied though.

If I can pick up a new touring set for relatively cheap I will likely do a bunch more of that. But I think my days at the hills are over.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^What counts as cheap? I'd sell one of my sets.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #11
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
How old is your kid? How tall? I can help out with a recommendation. When I first joined FAST the one thing I thought they really lacked was helping new parents with ski/boot/binding selection (and a lot of clubs are similar). It's pretty important to get the right stuff, as well as learning how to properly wax and tune. Once you hit U12 it starts making a huge difference.
Thanks! My boy is turning 10, so I think he is in U12, although I understand there is some flexibility depending on skillset. He is a bit of a peanut, 52 inches tall and 65 lbs.

We are out of Nakiska, and as mentioned there is some help with ski purchases, with a swap in September and a night at one of the retailers to help outfit the kids. I realize all sports are expensive, but I am hoping not to spend a fortune on something with limited use. I suppose we could use the swap next year, but I am not sure what the market is like for kids race skis, used or new.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody else starting to get excited for the new season coming up?

This year we've bought our season passes for Lake Louise again. Currently humming and hawing about upgrading to the VIP lift pass where you can just waltz to the front of the line on the base lifts. It's $999 for the family, but if Covid is kicking Alberta's ass again and the lift lines are long like last year, I think it would be worth it.

For gear...not sure if this is normal for this time of year or if there are supply chain issues, but I'm having a tough time finding a reasonable selection of stuff. I need some pants and my daughter needs a new board/bindings/boots. I think I'm just going to end up pre-ordering a board for her to make sure we get it, but I'd way rather see and feel what I'm buying before committing.

Looking forward to the new base lift at Louise, too. Should help alleviate some of the line issues at the base.
If mountain biking is any indication lift lines will return to normal next winter.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
^What counts as cheap? I'd sell one of my sets.
Depends on what ya got and condition... but would be looking at sub $1000 for a whole set.. Mind you I have put exactly as much thought into it as that post so far for this year.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Thanks! My boy is turning 10, so I think he is in U12, although I understand there is some flexibility depending on skillset. He is a bit of a peanut, 52 inches tall and 65 lbs.

We are out of Nakiska, and as mentioned there is some help with ski purchases, with a swap in September and a night at one of the retailers to help outfit the kids. I realize all sports are expensive, but I am hoping not to spend a fortune on something with limited use. I suppose we could use the swap next year, but I am not sure what the market is like for kids race skis, used or new.
Yep, that's first year U12.

I would suggest you find a pair of Lange Or similar) Race boots, likely a 60-65 flex. If he isn't big enough or strong enough boots that are too stiff will work against him so probably stay away from the 70 flex for now. Any race boot should also have a power strap. My kid is constantly messing around with the power strap.....the big thing last year was cutting off the one that came with the boot and using a seperate strap. Who knows if it did anything, but you need a power strap of some sort.

Bindings: go with a race specific binding that has a race plate. There's a few reasons here; race bindings have brakes that fold into the plate when they are locked in. If you use a cheap pair of bindings with no plate they will break, and if he turns hard enough the brake will drag and release the binding. It's super dangerous and I found that out the hard way. The race plate (riser) adds pop to the turns and increases the distance from boot to snow, so in a ski with a lot of sidecut (race ski) it will allow a deeper carve.

For skis he's going to need slalom and GS skis. I stick with Volkl because they're a great ski, and you can find racetigers on kijiji all the time for relatively cheap.

As far as length goes, there is something to keep in mind when you approach FIS age. Skis are regulated by FIS as far as length and sidecut go once you hit that level (17+), so parents who size their kids skis according to the kids height every year are putting them at a disadvantage. The min length of a FIS ski (IIRC) is 210cm on GS and 165 on SL. You shouldn't jump more than 7-10cms a year, so if you work backwards your kid should be on a 150cm GS and 130SL or thereabouts. It's that, or your kid takes a MASSIVE jump in length coming out of U16 and into FIS. All our U16's are skiing comically long skis this year and that's why. They are getting ready to jump into FIS regulations.

Anyways, keep looking on Kijiji. I find a lot of stuff there, and every year the Fernie team puts on a swap of old gear where there is a TON of stuff. It's a huge swap and it has a lot of race gear.

Good luck on the hill! It's a great way to spend time with the family and enjoy the outdoors. It's also a lot of fun to get involved with volunteering and meet like minded parents to crush beers and do laps with. I'm 46 and started riding park a few years ago and it's a blast. Just stay off the rails lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Depends on what ya got and condition... but would be looking at sub $1000 for a whole set.. Mind you I have put exactly as much thought into it as that post so far for this year.
I have a pair of basically brand new 193cm Dynafit Denalis with new-gen dynafit radical 12s and fitted Dynafit skins for a lightweight setup, a pair of 188cm Black Diamond Carbon Megawatts with first gen Dynafit Beast 16s with BD ascension skins for a burlier platform setup, and a pair of ON3P Custom 189cm Cease & Desists with Marker Tour F12 EPFs if you're more of a frame binding person and have tree trunks for legs. PM me if any of those sound feasible.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #16
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thank you Tron! That is really useful information. The coach breifly mentioned the race plates and race boots, which didn't really register as to why they might be different or beneficial. Makes much more sense now.

Honestly not sure if he'll ever get to the FIS stage, but we are looking forward to getting out to the mountains as a family. Just need to hit the lottery and get a place in Canmore; we would really be set!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:07 PM   #17
RinkRat13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ski Cellar is slowly getting new stock on skis and boards.
All of last season clothing is 30% to 50% off, as well as some skis and boards at 25% off.
If you are looking for race items, check out the MacLeod store, although 17th Ave has some stuff.
RinkRat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:15 AM   #18
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m pumped!

I’ve had one day of skiing since the 18/19 season - and that was in an indoor slope in Hemel Hempstead.

Following that, I bought myself a new pair of skis in the summer sales - all ready for my Calgary trip with my son, rescheduled for the third time at the end of March.

My son’s school has also organised a ski trip to Jasper during February half term, so I booked him on that.

I’m considering using my remaining WestJet credit towards a flight to Calgary at the same time as my son’s ski trip, but with me skiing in Banff because I don’t want to cramp his style in front of his school friends.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #19
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife has decided to try snowboarding again this year, after not having gone in 10+ years, but before I go and buy her gear, is there a place that will just rent the gear for the year?
RCR has their wings program only does ski's for adults.
flamingchina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No sure if Sports Rent does season long rentals, might be worth asking them... but why not just have her buy a pair of boots (because rental boots are terrible) and then rent the board for the weekend whenever you feel like going out?