Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1041
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If it was an agent, he probably has a client who was falling in the draft who he felt the Flames should have picked instead of Jankowski.
Or Babchuck's agent.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #1042
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I still don't like the Flames first round pick. That is a horrible article Francis dug out of his sludge membrane with little substance.
I would have preferred the Flames taken Jankowski in the 2nd. I stand firm that he would have been available even though the Flames say otherwise.
On the flip side Sieloff in the 2nd round was an outstanding pick.
I don't have a problem with the Flames having Jankowski in the mix just where they took him but its all about moving forward and hoping this young prospect matures into the star Weisbrod/Feaster think he can be.

As for Francis nothing suprises me with his garbage articles anymore. Honestly I would go so far as to say he is just another Calgary Sports scribe that I doubt is even a Flames fan period.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #1043
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Wow, someone has an axe to grind with Feaster or the Flames. Why just randomly e-mail Francis about it.
Or an axe to grind with the player.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #1044
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, what could the motivation be besides having an axe to grind, was the agent bored and wanted to send out e-mails?

This is the Agent-Journalist equivalent of Beerfest pretending to be a girl because he has nothing better to do. Just wants to cause trouble.
Jankowski also could have rejected said agent as his own. Either way, pretty big dirtbag move. Even for an agent. What does he or any of his clients have to gain from this? The draft is over, and was likely over when this email was sent. Power to him though, he knew exactly who to send it to.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #1045
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Or an axe to grind with the player.
Sure maybe, which would be hilarious if someone is that low they wanted to get back at a 17 year old high school kid.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #1046
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sure maybe, which would be hilarious if someone is that low they wanted to get back at a 17 year old high school kid.
These are agents we're talking about here.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #1047
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Jankowski also could have rejected said agent as his own. Either way, pretty big dirtbag move. Even for an agent. What does he or any of his clients have to gain from this? The draft is over, and was likely over when this email was sent. Power to him though, he knew exactly who to send it to.
College players as far as I am aware of cannot have agents. If Jankowskis intent is in fact to play in providence. He cannot have professional representation. He is allowed a family advisor but again as far as i know they cannot be apart of any professional agency.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1048
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

'High-profile agent anonymously saying "Jankowski is scared of his own shadow."

Look in mirror, you are gutless!, per @CraigJButton, on TSN tweetbox', is bang on the money.

Put up or shut up to the agent in question. What a cowardly thing to say about someone hiding behind an anonymous tag.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1049
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand people not liking the agents comment, but why are people pissed at Francis? He pretty much defends everything Calgary has done this off-season and people are still pissed.

Also their is nothing wrong with the agents comments. I am sure other agents feel the same way about other players picked for other teams.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #1050
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Francis is an idiot after that article. I can usually sluff his meanderings off but why publish something negative about a seventeen year old kid? Come on.
It's not uncommon to see comments by scouts that draft age players have character questions, shy away from contact, are selfish, etc. Far worse things were said about Grigorenko. 17 or not, these guys are aspiring pros that teams are taking big financial risks on.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #1051
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Especially one that's coming into our system and has been highly regarded by the GM and scouting staff.
Why would you expect Francis to be solicitous towards the Flames? Reporters aren't supposed to be loyal to the teams they cover.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #1052
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDoupe View Post
It's not uncommon to see comments by scouts that draft age players have character questions, shy away from contact, are selfish, etc. Far worse things were said about Grigorenko. 17 or not, these guys are aspiring pros that teams are taking big financial risks on.
Scouts yes, Agents? not so much. Its not like the quote insinuated the agent speaking to a scout, the agent himself saw him play and made his assesments. IDC about that at all. Everyone has haters, it human after all. But Francis with this article is just dredging up garbage to make a point that the Flames are failures it seems. I just don't like grown men slagging some seventeen year old kid they don't even know.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1053
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you expect Francis to be solicitous towards the Flames? Reporters aren't supposed to be loyal to the teams they cover.
No but he should be also looking at these type of sources with a critical eye.

Again - I think if you aren't willing to put your name behind your comment than don't make it.

There's a reason though why most "sources" in the NHL are agents - they love to see their comments in print. To me a comment like this has more to do with ego than anything else.

Rob Kerr on the Fan this morning mentioned that when the Flames drafted Dion Phaneuf he received an unsolicited email from an agent say Dion would never play in the NHL.

Emails like that mean nothing and Kerr did the appropriate thing and didn't do anything with it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #1054
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I can understand people not liking the agents comment, but why are people pissed at Francis? He pretty much defends everything Calgary has done this off-season and people are still pissed.

Also their is nothing wrong with the agents comments. I am sure other agents feel the same way about other players picked for other teams.
I think it has more to do with the fact that Francis is simply lobbing this one over the wall. Did a full article on the premise of what this "anonymous" agent had to say really deserve to be written?

My issue with Francis is that he stirs the pot for the sake of stirring the pot, whereas I respect a guy like Duhatchek because if he writes soemthing it is for a purpose.

I get that Francis' brand is to stir things up and be controversial. It just annoys me to no end that people even listen to him. Top 2 most annoying media personalities in Calgary for me.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #1055
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does Mark pronounce his last name Jan-cow-ski or Yan-kov-ski? I know a Jankowski and she uses the latter.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1056
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Does Mark pronounce his last name Jan-cow-ski or Yan-kov-ski? I know a Jankowski and she uses the latter.
Depends how true to their Polish roots the family is I suppose.

I just asked him on Twitter... so we'll see if he replies.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1057
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, someone has an axe to grind with Feaster or the Flames. Why just randomly e-mail Francis about it.
Because they knew Francis would run with it. A well known tool who has both a local newspaper column and a national TV gig (in season). And he likes to create controversy. Perfect target for "unsolicited emails".

And, as I noted in the Wideman thread, Francis clearly has an issue with Feaster. Most of his recent articles are designed to trash the GM while offering no counter points whatsoever. The fact that he chose to trash a 17-year-old kid to further his anti-Feaster agenda shows just how gutless Francis is.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1058
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because they knew Francis would run with it. A well known tool who has both a local newspaper column and a national TV gig (in season). And he likes to create controversy. Perfect target for "unsolicited emails".

And, as I noted in the Wideman thread, Francis clearly has an issue with Feaster. Most of his recent articles are designed to trash the GM while offering no counter points whatsoever. The fact that he chose to trash a 17-year-old kid to further his anti-Feaster agenda shows just how gutless Francis is.

Did you even read the article? Francis defends every move Feaster has made this off season.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #1059
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I don't expect it. In fact, this is pretty much exactly what I expect from Francis. Nice to see he is working towards having a future franchise player (according to our staff) hate his guts already. But I'm sure people have been telling Jankowski since he was a tiny kid that he would never make it. Hopefully it provides a rather large chip on his shoulder.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #1060
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Did you even read the article? Francis defends every move Feaster has made this off season.
While I agree with you, Francis should not be putting anonymous quotes like that in his articles.

Who can say he's lying or telling the truth when he never reveals who these anonymous agents, GMs, scouts, whoever, are.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote