Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #861
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Ah good. You left out the best part of Calgary.
Lake Bonavista?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #862
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

When this thread started I was just in the process of moving out of an inner city duplex infill into a suburban estate home and I have not regretted it at all.

When I was younger I never wanted to leave the inner city but priorities change. The older I have got I have become more of a homebody. Covid sure helps with that but we doubled the size of our house in this move. My garage can now fit both of our vehicles and has room for storage. I have my basement TV setup, home office and home gym with a spare bedroom and that was just not possible in the duplex.

I will say driving downtown is annoying for me as I do it rarely but my wife makes the commute daily and she doesn’t mind it.

I lived in Kensington for many years in my 20’s and I loved it. The duplex in Glenbrook was a great first move from a Condo. Lower maintenance and before a kid felt like plenty of space. Like people earlier in the thread mention. You get older, have kids and priorities change. If I could buy this same house in the inner city I would love it but also wouldn’t be able to afford it.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #863
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Low interest rates surely increased demand, potentially increased employment numbers, along with outside buyers from Toronto/Vancouver areas.

Wonder how many people will survive if interest rates hit actual stress test numbers.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #864
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I had a client email me this morning about selling their downtown Vancouver condo and referring them to an agent to buy in Calgary.
I'm hearing about this more and more these days.

I'm seeing lots of people here now who can't even afford Langley or Surrey, so they're thinking what's the point of going out to Abbotsford or Mission next. Might as well go somewhere like Calgary at that point.

Why would somebody sell their Vancouver condo in the first place if their only viable options after was to pick up stakes and move to another province? Unless it’s a divorce sale or something, why would they do that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #865
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why would somebody sell their Vancouver condo in the first place if their only viable options after was to pick up stakes and move to another province? Unless it’s a divorce sale or something, why would they do that?
Maybe they want to live in a house instead of a condo? This thread is full of examples of people's priorities changing as they grow up and for many that means wanting a suburban house to raise a family.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #866
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Maybe they want to live in a house instead of a condo? This thread is full of examples of people's priorities changing as they grow up and for many that means wanting a suburban house to raise a family.

I mean, that’s normal, but if your realtor is recommending moving to a whole other province after you sold your place then it sounds like you made a mistake planning that next stage of your life out, unless totally uprooting your life was part of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #867
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You move to where the work is, or to be closer to family, or for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to vote UCP
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #868
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, that’s normal, but if your realtor is recommending moving to a whole other province after you sold your place then it sounds like you made a mistake planning that next stage of your life out, unless totally uprooting your life was part of it.
I don't think that's what Windsor was implying... It sounds to me like a seller, already with the intention of moving here, contacted them to sell their Vancouver condo and asked for a referral to a Calgary agent.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #869
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't recommend they move to Calgary, they emailed me and told me that's their plan.
Could be job related, could be to get a detached house for more space. I'm not sure yet, meeting them next week to discuss.

But people have different situations and reasons for things, there's plenty of reasons why someone's plans can change.
For example, covid has really changed how people use their homes and no one could have planned for that.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #870
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Pulling 200-500k of equity out of a small condo and buying a house that costs $600k looks pretty appealing. Living almost mortgage free in a 2500 square foot place combined with higher Alberta wages is a pretty stress free life.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #871
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
You move to where the work is, or to be closer to family, or for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to vote UCP
Maybe they are some of the chosen ones who are permanently WFH and therefore doesn’t matter where they live.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #872
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Maybe they are some of the chosen ones who are permanently WFH and therefore doesn’t matter where they live.

I’d move to a little villa in Mexico.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #873
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm definitely jealous of some of these wfh people. There's a massive shortage of programers/software engineers right now and American companies are paying insane salaries for them. I know at least 4 that are getting paid around $200k USD and get to work from wherever they want.....
Old 01-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #874
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What a ridiculous post.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:13 PM   #875
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I don't think that's what Windsor was implying... It sounds to me like a seller, already with the intention of moving here, contacted them to sell their Vancouver condo and asked for a referral to a Calgary agent.
Okay, I think I misread that then. It sounded like the person sold their condo and then realized they couldn't afford to get another place close by.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #876
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Another point, I don't think most people could have predicted that the cost of living and real estate would spiral increase as quickly and as much as it has. It's 2005, people are already stating that BC property is overpriced, are most people properly predicting that real estate will now triple in price in 15 years? The economy of western nations, generally, has changed to shut young people out. Not really an issue of poor planning, but poor economic structures that have left young and less affluent people behind.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #877
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I’d move to a little villa in Mexico.
I doubt there are very many Canadians that want to raise their kids with little Mexican kids...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #878
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I doubt there are very many Canadians that want to raise their kids with little Mexican kids...
Wow
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #879
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What’s wrong with Mexican kids?
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #880
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post: