Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #3121
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Thanks. What were your thoughts on your experience with a mainland China carrier? Kinda shirk away from that for some reason. Irrational?
I agree with FFR. I flew China Eastern and China Southern. I would never fly southern again. Just uncomfortable and not much room food wasn't great, service was pretty good though. Cheap.

China Eastern is my go to airline for getting to Asia now. Cheap, and the new planes are amazing. Incredible seats and large entertainment systems with about 90 movies. I believe each seat back TV is 12 inches. Good service, good food, lots of room. Also good non-stop wine which is always nice.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #3122
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
I flew China Eastern from Vancouver to Shanghai and return. It wasn't half bad - the plane out had decent leg room but no individual entertainment systems - movies ran on the shared tv screens (english with chinese subtitles). 2 meals served - food was ok, not the best and not the worst. Flight attendants spoke English and service was good - they came through with water all the time and you could request something else.

The flight back was awesome - brand new plane with individual seat back entertainment - tons of movies in English (with chinese subtitles), tv shows and games. Again two meals with ok food. They were generally on time - a few minutes late going there and back (less than 15 each time).

I'd fly with them again for sure.
I had a similar experience. The flight from Vancovuer to Shanghai was quite good, lots of entertainment options and the inflight meals weren't half bad. The flight back had only the "common" tv screen for a couple of rows showing English subtitled movies. The USB chargers didn't work, which was a bit bummer, since I had preloaded my phone with a lots of tv shows and movies to watch just in case.

One thing that I didn't like, and I don't know if that is just the airplanes in general, but the arm rests don't recline to the same angle as the seats.. so if you have an entire row with your family, it would be nice to be able to all stretch out with the arm rest stowed out of the way, especially when you are traveling with kids who don't need the entire seating area that is bounded by the arm rests.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #3123
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Phoenix | $251 roundtrip after taxes

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-phoen...ip-after-taxes

Summer through October travel.

They were $284, but United just dropped them a little more.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #3124
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thinking about talking the Mrs. to Hong Kong towards the end of the year. Am not attached to these dates but this is the area we were thinking of. I have no idea if these flights / travel times are decent... what does this price look like as far as flying to Hong Kong goes? Should I hold out and try to look for something closer to or less than $1000 or is this pretty standard?

Any recommendations for Air Canada vs. another airline? Will be flying from Calgary...

(Large screen-shot of flights / price):

NSFW!
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #3125
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Calgary to Phoenix | $251 roundtrip after taxes

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-phoen...ip-after-taxes

Summer through October travel.

They were $284, but United just dropped them a little more.
I would love to hear from an airline executive as to the purpose behind doing these unadvertised fares. I really wonder as it happens several times per year where they drop the fare. Sometimes it even goes as far as a year in advance. They must have some logical reason for doing it.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #3126
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I would love to hear from an airline executive as to the purpose behind doing these unadvertised fares. I really wonder as it happens several times per year where they drop the fare. Sometimes it even goes as far as a year in advance. They must have some logical reason for doing it.
Often they're the result of one airline attacking their competitor's airfares out of a competitor's hub airport.

Pretty good explanation here:

http://airfareiq.com/home/whyItWorks

Quote:
Airlines are continually challenging their competitors in different cities large and small all over the country. If United says "We think we can get enough new business out of Columbus that we can justify adding an additional daily flight, if only we lower are fares to make us more attractive than the competition", then they lower their fares. Of course, as soon as they do this, the other airlines all match United's fares (within days...sometimes within hours!).

Sometimes the airlines simply "fare bomb" the competition in a particular market by drastically dropping their fares for only a day or so. They hope to get as much business as possible during a short period, then return their fares to "normal" before their competition catches up with them.

Another opportunity for hidden city fares comes from a childish airline game I call "hub poaching". At this moment (mid-December 2012), Delta has drastically reduced fares for flights to and from USAirway's Charlotte hub. US retaliated by dumping their fares to and from one of Delta's hubs. Or maybe US started it and Delta is the retaliator...I'm not sure, but it's fairly obvious what's going on, and it's a silly net-zero game that every airline plays all the time. This hub poaching can produce some amazingly cheap hidden city fares, but they generally only last a short time...maybe a week or so, and sometimes just a few days.

Airlines will also make a pre-emptive attack against a perceived present or future threat of another airline entering a new market. If 'Airline A" finds out that "Airline B" has been inquiring about beginning service to a market dominated by Airline A, then Airline A may suddenly start offering service in a market dominated by Airline B.

Because federal anti-trust regulations prohibit airlines from actually talking to each other about fares and service, this is Airline A's way of telling Airline B "Stick to your own markets". Again, very childish, but airline execs apparently aren't above acting like petulant kids. And in doing so, they open up yet another avenue for finding hidden city fare bargains.

And any time an airline actually does start new service (either as their first time in the market, or with an expanded flight schedule, or to a different city), you can be sure they will want to make a lot of noise in that city or market with low "sale" fares. When they do, all the other airlines typically match those low fares, presenting even more hidden city opportunities.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #3127
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

$529.53 to San Francisco return, July 25th to July 28th. Not as popular as the Kelowna one, but still a month out.

http://www.gojumpon.com/
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #3128
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

$529.53 to San Francisco return, July 25th to July 28th. Not as popular as the Kelowna one, but still a month out.

http://www.gojumpon.com/
That isn't really a great fare. I find that you can usually find fares in the summertime to California cities in the $300 to $400 range around this time of year. You can usually find fares to New York in the $400 to $500 range also (it is right now).
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #3129
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sister forwarded this to me... for all the CP'ers who cashed in on cmyden's free (well, nearly free) trip to Menorca, Spain -- those ubiquitous sandals have now crossed the Atlantic and are now being worn by hipsters in Vancouver and beyond:

http://vitamindaily.com/content/spanish-steps

http://riudavetsusa.com/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #3130
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

cmyden - any deals you know of that pop up for trips to Nashville? I'm interested in taking my gf for our two-year in the beginning of December. She loves country anything... I would go just to catch the Predators.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #3131
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
cmyden - any deals you know of that pop up for trips to Nashville? I'm interested in taking my gf for our two-year in the beginning of December. She loves country anything... I would go just to catch the Predators.
http://yycdeals.com/search?criteria=nashville

^^ In the history of YYC Deals I've never once written anything about Nashville, so unfortunately I think the odds are fairly slim of a great price popping up. It's one of those U.S. cities where prices from YYC tend to bottom out at a pretty stagnant $500 something to $600 something roundtrip after taxes.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #3132
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

cmyden,

my friends and I are trying to plan a 10 day adventure to Costa Rica in January. Is there any good way of doing an all inclusive from Calgary? All the flights seem to be horrible with a layover in Houston. We would like to avoid the states if at all possible. Are we just grasping at straws trying to do 10 days All Inclusive? Thanks
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3133
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
cmyden,

my friends and I are trying to plan a 10 day adventure to Costa Rica in January. Is there any good way of doing an all inclusive from Calgary? All the flights seem to be horrible with a layover in Houston. We would like to avoid the states if at all possible. Are we just grasping at straws trying to do 10 days All Inclusive? Thanks
To avoid the U.S., you need to either connect in Toronto, or hope for a charter flight from Calgary that is nonstop (Air Transat). The problem with hoping for a nonstop charter flight from YYC to become available in January is that they are pretty rare to begin with, and they are typically bundled with 1 week packages, as opposed to 10 nights.

You might want to try looking for 10 night all inclusive packages out of Toronto, and see if you can combine it with a connecting flight from Calgary where the times work out well. That could be a challenge though, since the flights leave around 9 AM. Toronto has a lot more package options to Costa Rica, ever since WestJet started flying nonstop from YYZ to Costa Rica's LIR airport.

If you did want to try flying through the U.S. from Calgary though, don't forget to try both of Costa Rica's international airports (SJO and LIR). Typically the fastest it can be done is with about an hour stopover in Houston each way. Only having an hour of breathing room can be a little scary though, especially coming home, as Houston airport can be a zoo.

If you play with the stopover length filter on Kayak you can find flights with slightly longer layovers, and if you find yourself getting through the airport quickly, you can sometimes ask to be put on the earlier flight if they have room.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #3134
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I go to Tennessee about once or twice a year. A good price to Nashville is anything under $600. That being said, it's one of my favourite cities in the U.S.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #3135
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Belize | $491 roundtrip after taxes | August to mid December

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-beliz...aug-to-mid-dec

United Airlines is currently undergoing an unadvertised fare drop on their flights from Calgary to Belize City (BZE). Prices look to have dropped in the months of August, September, October, November, and up to mid-December.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #3136
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ $491 from YYJ as well. I'm assuming YVR, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #3137
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
^^ $491 from YYJ as well. I'm assuming YVR, too.
Yep, but so far I haven't seen any flights from Victoria or Vancouver that don't have ridiculous connection times (12 hour stopovers, etc). If you see any date combos that are decent, please share! (Same goes for Saskatoon and Regina)

Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #3138
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Calgary to Belize | $491 roundtrip after taxes | August to mid December

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-beliz...aug-to-mid-dec

United Airlines is currently undergoing an unadvertised fare drop on their flights from Calgary to Belize City (BZE). Prices look to have dropped in the months of August, September, October, November, and up to mid-December.
Thanks cmyden,

I've booked the flight for October 14-21. Now hopefully no storms or rainy stuff (at least too much). Any recomendations on places to stay that aren't horribly overpriced? Just something nice but within reason as this will be a honeymoon. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #3139
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Thanks cmyden,

I've booked the flight for October 14-21. Now hopefully no storms or rainy stuff (at least too much). Any recomendations on places to stay that aren't horribly overpriced? Just something nice but within reason as this will be a honeymoon. Thanks!
Nice! Have fun! Here's a Google Map of the places we checked out, and where we stayed, when we went...

http://tinyurl.com/7yjl3ys

Click on the little bed icons for the names of the accommodations.

One that's missing from the map was the place we stayed in Hopkins...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ann_Creek.html

It was fine, but everyone has different expectations for accommodations, so definitely read up on reviews and look at pics of places before you decide.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #3140
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How was it getting to your resort for the Belize airport? I'm assuming that you just water taxied it. And it's too bad that the Seaside Cabanas aren't open during the time that we are there. They look nice. I'll just keep searching. Oh, and did you find the mosquitos bad?