Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #2861
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
I think that's an interesting question! I guess the first question would be, what is the typical savings of a package that is 'all inclusive' vs a regular flight + hotel package to the same hotel, on the same dates.

Using a real life example of the El Cid Marina which is going for $1125/person all inclusive on Jan 25, vs $983 for the non all-inclusive plan, I think your estimate of saving about $300 is a good one.

So $300, divided by 7 = $42/day.

I know for us, when we travel, I'm pretty sure we spend more than an average of $40/day eating and drinking at local restaurants. But then, you're not really comparing apples to apples, as at an all-inclusive resort some of your meals might be at a buffet, vs a higher quality local restaurant. And some people would probably put a value on eating somewhere that felt authentic, vs eating at their hotel.

And of course for some people, they could probably polish of $300 worth of liquor on their own!

Overall, I'd say a couple would typically spend a lot more than $300/week eating and drinking locally. I'd say for us, depending on the country, we typically go for a light breakfast (often included at our hotel, as we like smaller B&B type places), and then spend around $25 for lunch, and try to keep it to around $50 or less for dinner if we can (really depends on the country of course!). Throw in a few drinks here and there during the day and I'm sure it probably adds up to at least $100/day, or $700/week for us to eat out and drink every day while on vacation.
If you have a chance can you look at http://tinyurl.com/ajxonpo (I shortened an expedia url) to let me know if a) that's a decent deal (25% off hotel) and b) how I would use your tool on your webpage to find that deal? (I didn't see it through your all inclusive finder).
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #2862
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
If you have a chance can you look at http://tinyurl.com/ajxonpo (I shortened an expedia url) to let me know if a) that's a decent deal (25% off hotel) and b) how I would use your tool on your webpage to find that deal? (I didn't see it through your all inclusive finder).
The tool on my site searches packages from the Canadian tour operators, so let's see how their packages stack up to bundling flights (from the major airlines) + hotel on the fly like Expedia does (it's always good to compare both methods)....

So we'll try a search in all of February, to Punta Cana, like so...

http://yycdeals.com/all-inclusive-va...pltbwlxn6;list

There doesn't seem to be any packages to the Majestic Elegance in Feb at the moment, but the Majestic Colonial appears to have a nearly identical level of quality, and there's a package for $1817/person departing on Feb 5.

Although it's for 7 nights, and the Expedia package is for 6 nights.

The flight quality looks to be fairly similar (1 stopover in Toronto each way, on Air Canada).

So overall, I'd say the strength of the Expedia flight + hotel deal is pretty much even with the package deals being offered by the Canadian tour operators in February to Punta Cana at the moment.

The Canadian tour operators seem to be focusing most of their price cuts on Dec/Jan departures at the moment. I suspect February cuts will start in late December and January.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2863
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The tool on my site searches packages from the Canadian tour operators, so let's see how their packages stack up to bundling flights (from the major airlines) + hotel on the fly like Expedia does (it's always good to compare both methods)....

So we'll try a search in all of February, to Punta Cana, like so...

http://yycdeals.com/all-inclusive-va...pltbwlxn6;list

There doesn't seem to be any packages to the Majestic Elegance in Feb at the moment, but the Majestic Colonial appears to have a nearly identical level of quality, and there's a package for $1817/person departing on Feb 5.

Although it's for 7 nights, and the Expedia package is for 6 nights.

The flight quality looks to be fairly similar (1 stopover in Toronto each way, on Air Canada).

So overall, I'd say the strength of the Expedia flight + hotel deal is pretty much even with the package deals being offered by the Canadian tour operators in February to Punta Cana at the moment.

The Canadian tour operators seem to be focusing most of their price cuts on Dec/Jan departures at the moment. I suspect February cuts will start in late December and January.
Most patient Cpucker ever. Thanks so much for your help, this is totally appreciated.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #2864
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last minute fares from Calgary to Cabo San Lucas - $179 roundtrip after taxes

http://www.yycdeals.com/last-minute-...ip-after-taxes

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #2865
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey there

Let me first say a great big THANK YOU for this resource! It's help me find a lot of deals and is an invaluable tool in a place you wouldn't think to look.

So I was looking for help to find a last minute vacation package for a departing date of preferably Dec 21. Destination can be anywhere except US (due to drunken episode in Miami ) and the number of people is likely 2-3.

Can you recommend a good place to look for deals? Is it even possible to find cheap deals during this time of season?

Thank you in advance and thanks again for your continued presence on here!
Dime_On_Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #2866
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just wanted to say that this is my favorite thread on calgarypuck.
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #2867
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime_On_Flames View Post
Hey there

Let me first say a great big THANK YOU for this resource! It's help me find a lot of deals and is an invaluable tool in a place you wouldn't think to look.

So I was looking for help to find a last minute vacation package for a departing date of preferably Dec 21. Destination can be anywhere except US (due to drunken episode in Miami ) and the number of people is likely 2-3.

Can you recommend a good place to look for deals? Is it even possible to find cheap deals during this time of season?

Thank you in advance and thanks again for your continued presence on here!
No problem, glad it helps!

You may want to read the post at the top of this page regarding why there are never good deals, to anywhere, departing between the third week of December and the first 5 days of January

If anyone does see anything they think is decent in that time-frame, please share. I'll gladly do the same. But it's really not a question of 'where can I search?', as there are only so many sources of prices, and they are all subject to the same forces of supply and demand (and in the case of Christmas holidays, the 'insane demand').

Quote:
I just wanted to say that this is my favorite thread on calgarypuck.
Thanks! And thanks to everyone who contributes! I know I'm probably the most active in the thread, but I do think crowdsourcing is a great way to keep tabs on what are truly the best deals out there. And for travel advice in general.

So I hope everyone feels encouraged to share any great deal finds from YYC or their favorite travel tips. Or even just travel experiences in general.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #2868
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heading to Puerto Vallarta in a week or so. First time in Mexico. Any advice from anyone?

Would have posted this in the quick question thread, but...
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2869
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All inclusive?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #2870
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
All inclusive?
Nope. Not on my dime either though, so no complaints.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #2871
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well P.V is a great place, lots to do but obviously check out the Melacon (boardwalk). You can spend a lot of time wandering around there.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #2872
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everything on the malecon is way overpriced. Don't buy there unless its the only place you see something in particular. You can get nicely bombed sampling tequila though in all the tequila shops along there, once again just don't buy it there. Buy booze at Walmart or soriana stores, unless you see a fancy bottle u like and can't find it anywhere else.

If you smoke cigars, puerto Vallarta cigar factory is excellent. Theyre hand made in the shop. It's by the open air market near the river. The market is ok for souvenir shopping and whatnot. Mostly touristy junk though.

Avoid old Pv and the malecon on days when you see a cruise ship in port. Mind you this time of year that probably only leaves you a couple days out of the week. Bah, it's conna b busy anyway around now.

There's a really nice, big glass shop called Mundo de Cristal. It's all glass. Very cool. Very nice stuff. I'd check it out if you wanna bring home a nice margarita set. It's kind of at the south end of old PV. Any cabbie will know it.

Cabs are cheap and busses much cheaper yet. Don't rent a car, you won't need to.

Never been, but I've heard the jungle tour and zip line are good fun. Parasailing is quick and pricy, but its a blast. You gotta do it at least once.

There are tons of good restauarnts in PV. I've had vey few bad meals there. Literally hundreds to choose from. Close your eyes and point at one. Tr it. Chances are its good. Have breakfast at Fredy Tucan's. It's a few blocks off the beach in old PV, next to an old hotel called Posada Roger. Great food, great service, great price. If you don't make it in the morning that's ok, we've had breakfast there at 2 in the afternoon. Don't listen to anyone else's advice for breakfast until you've tried this place first.

For your wife/girlfriend....there's a tiny little craft shop a door or two to the left of Fredy's. its mostly purses and women's jewellery, but the women and girls go nuts for the stuff he makes in there. Most, if not all profit goes to local charity's . The owner makes all the stuff. He's an ex B actor. The only movie I know of he was in was Nightmare on Elm Street. Once you get talkin to him he's got some interesting stories.

When leaving, go to airport a little early and check your bags. At airport, you'll see pedestrian overpass. On the other side, right at bottom of overpass are a couple grubby little restaurants. The one on right is called El Tacon de Marlin. Its noisy as hell with traffic and busses every minute stopping out front, and a TV blaring out 20 year old movies, but you must try a Seafood burrito or taco....anything there. It's awesome food. Grab a couple for the plane and thank me later.

Like Red Sky said, PV is awesome. Some will say otherwise, but I've only had good experiences there.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #2873
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Damn, thanks Buzzard! Will definitely check out some of those recommendations.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #2874
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping to head over to Montreal in May -- is it worth making a quick trip over to Ottawa while we're down there? Anything worth seeing/doing in Ottawa? We'll have two young kids with us, so it would have to be worth the extra work
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2875
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I'm hoping to head over to Montreal in May -- is it worth making a quick trip over to Ottawa while we're down there? Anything worth seeing/doing in Ottawa? We'll have two young kids with us, so it would have to be worth the extra work
How young?

There are some nice museums in Ottawa (Civilization and War to name two), but they might be boring if the kids are too young.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #2876
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Ottawa's a nice, clean city (physically, not referring to the politicians) but not a ton of *must sees or dos* unless you're really into government buildings or museums. Not sure how much the kids would get out of seeing Parliament, depends on their ages I guess. I vaguely remember going as a young kid, but definitely appreciated it more as an adult.

Let's see, what else is there.... there's the canal?

The outdoor market they have there is pretty nice (I think Eau Claire should try to emulate it!), although might not be that great in May, weather-wise.

Personally, I'd stick to Montreal!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2877
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The outdoor market they have there is pretty nice (I think Eau Claire should try to emulate it!), although might not be that great in May, weather-wise.
I have to go to Ottawa every year at the end of May for work, and the weather is usually pretty nice.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #2878
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! Both will be still under 3, so it's more a matter of what mom and dad can't do versus what would be interesting for the kids. We've also lived in Victoria, BC, so old government buildings aren't that exciting for us anymore
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #2879
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I crazy or are flights on valentines day weekend insanely expensive? I had no idea that weekend was such an expensive proposition.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #2880
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Am I crazy or are flights on valentines day weekend insanely expensive? I had no idea that weekend was such an expensive proposition.
Family Day is the Monday after Valentine's Day, and in Calgary, the Teachers' Convention is always the Thursday and Friday of Valentine's Day week.

That means that every school kid in Calgary has a 5 day weekend. As a result, lots of families take a short trip somewhere that week, which translates to higher demand, which leads to higher prices.