Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

After coming off a pretty nasty facial injury and not playing a lot because of that, this will be an 8 day conditioning stint for Nystrom.

Take good care of him, feed him well, cheer the crap out of him, but we mean to have him back.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how Nystrom gets recalled however, Flames are at the roster limit of 23 players. I would think he might be there for a little while.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #23
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nystrom's down for good until someone else is dealt or on IR. The Flames roster is full.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
he'll be back after the all-star break. i'm surprised that Boyd didn't join him, though if Sutter told him to find a house in Calgary then that might not be fair
Hopefully Rich Heskith is assigning Justin with an extensive 8 day weight training program.

I think Boyd's game will improve dramatically when he builds his overall strength.

Which isn't to say he hasn't impressed.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Hopefully Rich Heskith is assigning Justin with an extensive 8 day weight training program.

I think Boyd's came will improve dramatically when he builds his overall strength.

Which isn't to say he hasn't impressed.
Odd. Two spelling errors by starting with the wrong letter.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook View Post
Odd. Two spelling errors by starting with the wrong letter.
First was intentional based on a former boy band member that he resembles.

The second has no such explanation.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

So ... does anyone know what is really going to happen? Is he down here for just a week or so, or for longer? With Calgary having spare forwards as it is, and QC not having an extra forward at all, it just makes sense to leave him down here ... at least makes sense to me.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
So ... does anyone know what is really going to happen? Is he down here for just a week or so, or for longer? With Calgary having spare forwards as it is, and QC not having an extra forward at all, it just makes sense to leave him down here ... at least makes sense to me.
He's likely down until somebody's traded to free up a roster space.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
He's likely down until somebody's traded to free up a roster space.
One would have to think (sadly, IMO) that Marcus Nilson will be dealt to a team in need of a warm body. Nilson can't seem to find his way into the lineup, likely because guys like Nystrom have shown they can do the same job with a little more energy or effectiveness.

Although, I'd argue Nilson could do a better job than Mark Smith. Maybe Keenan see something in Smith.

Either way, I would imagine Nilson (or maybe Primeau, but likely not with that contract) will be on his way out at some point in the near future, probably just for a draft pick, at which point Nystrom will be back.

I really hope not. I've always liked Nilson, and I think he's looked pretty good in the games he's been in.

rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #30
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I hope that Sutter had the "blah blah all star break, blah blah game action, blah blah need to make a move, blah blah see you in two weeks" conversation with him.

he was a good addition and had a smallish piece of the turnaround this season. Hate to see him lose his job due to an injury.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the energy Nystrom brought to the table, and he's a lot closer to an NHLer than I thought he'd be going into the season, but he was -9 (I know that stat has alot of limitations) in 34 games, and was struggling a little bit near the end there IMO. also the Flames 4th line (already including a youngster in Boyd) got between 1-3 minutes of icetime last night. So I think a little time in QC for Nystrom working out some kinks and getting some offensive confidence might not be a bad option for him, versus playing every other game with Mark Smith and Godard or Primeau as might be the case up in CGY right now
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
^ probably not as Sutter said he's on the team full time

Boyd has also been healthy, whereas Nystrom has been out for a bit and could use to the games right now.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

They told Boyd to get a place but we never heard anything about them telling Nystrom to get a place...The fact is that the Flames are full of spare defensive PK guys, and even now we're putting a 1st line LWer on the PK (Tangs) so Nystrom is sort of the odd man out as far as the people we are allowed to send down to the QC, the QC is also short so it helps out.

I'd say this is a more long-term assignment until injuries or Sutter manages to trade some guys. I don't know why they signed Smith in the first place and Godard does not deserve a 1-one contract, he should have been a body we could've sent to the QC every now and then for these space issues (despite the fact that he's the 2nd fastest skater on the Flames team!!!)
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote