Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 06:59 PM   #21
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Greg Millen probably fuming that 'no iPads on the bench' isn't on the docket.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 07:22 PM   #22
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

For all sports that have video review, I think referees should not have access to slow motion replays. They should only be able to watch the play at full speed and there should be a 3-minute time-limit on how long they have to make a decision.

Unable to reach a decision in 3 minutes? Call on the ice (or field, or court) stands.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:34 PM   #23
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I'm not sure if you watched hockey when that was the rule, but it was terrible terrible hockey. Sure, the hitting was harder and the players cared about each other's safety less making for some pretty crazy hockey, but what I hated more than anything was a defending team lobbing the puck over the glass 300 times per game. Bad teams would lob that puck over the glass whenever there was any possibility of danger...over and over and over again. It was awful.

The newer way has it's warts, but it's so much better than the terrible and frustrating hockey I had to watch in my younger years because of that one simple and wretched rule.
This. And the d-man would give a look like "oops, did I do that??"
Old 03-19-2024, 07:42 PM   #24
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Wow two pucks at once in OT. Yas!
And a bear on the ice in OT.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:47 PM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Fewer coaches’ challenges. Drags out the game too long, and the decisions are often anticlimactic.

Fewer TV timeouts too.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:17 PM   #26
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There needs to be a time limit on how long before a challenge. Some coaches and teams get way more time before the puck is dropped.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 08:36 PM   #27
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I always felt like puck over the glass in your own zone should be treated like icing.
Probably not a popular take.
I'd like to see it kinda like the 'bonus' foul system in basketball. You get 3 (or maybe its 4 or 5) 'free' icings/puck over glass per period, but after that it's a penalty.

Of course the problem is borderline/bad icing calls, so I think you'd need to define it like offsides vs intentional offsides (which could be another tally). I'd also add a goalie freezing the puck outside the crease
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:45 PM   #28
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
For all sports that have video review, I think referees should not have access to slow motion replays. They should only be able to watch the play at full speed and there should be a 3-minute time-limit on how long they have to make a decision.

Unable to reach a decision in 3 minutes? Call on the ice (or field, or court) stands.

Three minutes? I say 30 seconds to determine (after a whistle) if you can have a challenge, and then 60 seconds tops to make a decision. If you don't see an obvious reason to overturn, blow the whistle and get back to the game.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:37 PM   #29
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
I'd be okay with adding a rule that states that you can challenge an offside goal, but only if the infraction was say within 10-15 seconds of the goal...none of this "hE wAs oFfSiDe 30 sEcoNdS aGo"
Here’s my proposal.

Within 10 seconds of when the puck crossed the blue line, the coach must press sone kind of button on the bench.

If the button is pressed after 10 seconds have passed, the play cannot be challenged.

If the button is pressed within the 10 seconds, the play will be reviewed whether a goal is scored or not, no matter if the puck leaves the zone again or not. If the play is challenged, and is unsuccessful, that team takes a delay of game penalty.

If the challenge IS successful, the clock is reset and all following play is taken off the board.

The goal is to eliminate all offside challenges, except for when it’s a very obvious missed call.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:34 PM   #30
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they are adding challenges? I was hoping they would dump them altogether.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:46 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
And a bear on the ice in OT.
I'm disappointed the Bear theory didnt work out.

And they didnt even consider my proposition of 'Mini-Sticks Only' in OT.

They say the League listens to its fans! The Bear would be the only one to get a regular sized stick.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:55 PM   #32
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
So they are adding challenges? I was hoping they would dump them altogether.
They are looking into it. The competition committee has to recommend rule changes to the Board of Governors.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:18 AM   #33
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I'd like to see it kinda like the 'bonus' foul system in basketball. You get 3 (or maybe its 4 or 5) 'free' icings/puck over glass per period, but after that it's a penalty.

Of course the problem is borderline/bad icing calls, so I think you'd need to define it like offsides vs intentional offsides (which could be another tally). I'd also add a goalie freezing the puck outside the crease
I think this would pretty much kill the stretch pass, slow the game down and result in less odd-man rushes. I also think it would result in a lot more plays that get the puck off the glass and out.

---

One rule that I'd like to see, but will never happen is one that allows teams to bank/decline a PPs so they could negate the opponents next PP opportunities instead. Make it so a team could bank up to 2PPs, but if it gets a 3rd they get a full 2 min 5 on 3 in exchange for 3PPs or have regular PPs from that point. This would allow officials to simply call everything instead of pick and choose so they can manage a game.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:57 AM   #34
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except a faceoff in your own zone is probably preferable for the defending team versus the situation that causes a panicked over the glass infraction.

I'd be OK with it being a lesser one minute penalty. Or automatic possession by the attacking team in the zone at soe designated spot.
It's still not great if your team is gassed.

Its crazy to see all the #### that gets let go in a playoff OT period only to have the game end due to a puck over the glass.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:49 AM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It's still not great if your team is gassed.

Its crazy to see all the #### that gets let go in a playoff OT period only to have the game end due to a puck over the glass.
That's because It's one of the few penalties left in the game that is black or white. Either it goes over untouched and is a penalty, or it doesn't and it isn't. I hate how many penalties are left up to a ref's discretion. That's how games are ruined, not because someone shot the puck over the glass.

There are more important things that need to be fixed than puck over glass calls. Things like "what exactly is goalie interference" or "how distinct does a distinct kicking motion need to be" for example.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #36
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I'm not sure if you watched hockey when that was the rule, but it was terrible terrible hockey. Sure, the hitting was harder and the players cared about each other's safety less making for some pretty crazy hockey, but what I hated more than anything was a defending team lobbing the puck over the glass 300 times per game. Bad teams would lob that puck over the glass whenever there was any possibility of danger...over and over and over again. It was awful.

The newer way has it's warts, but it's so much better than the terrible and frustrating hockey I had to watch in my younger years because of that one simple and wretched rule.
Unfortunately, yeah. The Dead Puck Era was called that for a reason.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:34 AM   #37
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Unfortunately, yeah. The Dead Puck Era was called that for a reason.
It wasn't the Dead Puck era because players could shoot pucks over the glass. That was always legal in hockey until 2005.

The Dead Puck era happened because coaches drilled every player to sacrifice offence and strive to play perfect defensive hockey. Because rapid expansion and the lack of a salary cap created so many weak teams, ‘perfect’, in this case, meant hooking, holding, and interference.

These things were already against the rules, but the league and the officials turned a blind eye because it was bad business to let those teams get run out of the building every night. If you can keep scoring low, the weaker team can get lucky enough to scratch out a 2-1 or 3-2 win. If scoring is high, a talented team can run up five or six goals and the weak team has very little chance of keeping up. The random element in each goal becomes less influential as the number of goals increases.

What killed the Dead Puck era was the salary cap. You no longer saw teams with $20-million payrolls playing dirty hockey to compete against teams with $60-million payrolls. The league cracked down on those fouls because it no longer needed to allow them to create an illusion of parity.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:47 AM   #38
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm disappointed the Bear theory didnt work out.

And they didnt even consider my proposition of 'Mini-Sticks Only' in OT.

They say the League listens to its fans! The Bear would be the only one to get a regular sized stick.
Are talkin black bears, grizzly bears, or polar bears? Gotta be polar bears since they're on ice, right?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:51 AM   #39
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Are talkin black bears, grizzly bears, or polar bears? Gotta be polar bears since they're on ice, right?
Drop bears fall from the jumbotron
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:54 AM   #40
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We should make overtime 1 v 1, no goalies, posts only
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote