Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #321
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think that's likely too far away from downtown for them. It's pretty isolated from much of anything. They'd pretty much have to build everything to support themselves in the area.
Hah, no they wouldn't. Others would be more than happy to do it for them. The instant that they announce they're putting a headquarters there, everyone will be trampling everyone else in their hurry to start buying up surrounding real estate and putting up amenities.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #322
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hah, no they wouldn't. Others would be more than happy to do it for them. The instant that they announce they're putting a headquarters there, everyone will be trampling everyone else in their hurry to start buying up surrounding real estate and putting up amenities.
Where? That's my point. If they took over that piece of land, there's nothing in the area to support them, and there's nowhere for anyone to build supporting infrastructure. It would all need to be built there.

It's like the arena/stadium argument. You can't build an arena in the middle of a giant parking lot and then wonder why no one has built a bunch of restaurants and bars next to it.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #323
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

An arena and a campus where 50,000 people work every day are hugely different things. An arena might create a need for some bars and restaurants for the people who use the arena, but not much else. A campus like that creates a need for bars, restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, hardware stores, not to mention enough residential density to allow people to live near work. Basically, it creates a demand for everything. You can go to a hockey game without eating at the restaurant next to the arena, but if you want to live near work (and people do), you can't avoid buying things to support your life.

That demand far outstrips the value of the surrounding real estate. Said real estate gets bought up and turned into malls, apartment buildings and other facilities to house businesses that will service the people who work at the campus.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #324
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not what I meant when I mentioned arenas. If you build an arena in the middle of a massive parking lot, no one can build a bar next to your arena because the arena is in the middle of a massive parking lot.

By the same token, if one company takes over a massive chunk of real estate to build their HQ, the only way anything is going to get built on that land is if that company builds it.

Based on what Amazon has done in Seattle, that doesn't seem to be the way they do things. Maybe they'll want to do things differently in their new location, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #325
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That doesn't make any sense. The HQ is supposed to take up 8 million square feet. It will fill whatever area they're acquiring. Any leftover surrounding area will, presumably, be acquired by other businesses wanting to cash in. There wouldn't be any significant dead zone around the HQ. Why would they plan it that way? The analogy doesn't work; there's no "parking lot around the arena" here.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #326
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Why Shaw and Puralator? This HQ may or may not have anything to do with their retail business, and it certainly isn't going to be responsible for actually doing shipping. I'd expect majority of it will relate to web services.
I was mostly responding to the idea that a location outside of down town would leave them isolated and should be dismissed.

If you take the example of other Calgary companies that have interests in web services and distribution (Shaw and Purolator for example) they are often not downtown.

I also think if you look in San Jose at companies comparable to Amazon, a green field near the Air Port follows then trend better than taking over a vacant office tower.

Speculating on empty fields near the air port makes allot of sense to me.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #327
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Firestone park. Don't one of the Flames owners own it? Could be a little room for scratch my back I will scratch yours.

Close to LRT, Downtown, Airport, and some major roads. Hell of a view of the city and mountains.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #328
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
What about Firestone park. Don't one of the Flames owners own it? Could be a little room for scratch my back I will scratch yours.

Close to LRT, Downtown, Airport, and some major roads. Hell of a view of the city and mountains.
One of the best development sites in the City. Privately family owned at the moment, not sure about the Flames ownership piece. I believe you can build ~2M SF on that site. A number of groups have looked it over the years on a design build basis but the current owners want well above market prices for the land.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #329
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
One of the best development sites in the City. Privately family owned at the moment, not sure about the Flames ownership piece. I believe you can build ~2M SF on that site. A number of groups have looked it over the years on a design build basis but the current owners want well above market prices for the land.
Understandably. That spot is prime AF.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #330
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Understandably. That spot is prime AF.
Agreed but if you ask a ridiculous price for the land it negates development potential to the point were no one can make sense of building. It's pretty outrageous that site has sat vacant for so long. It's the reason the City is thinking of taxing vacant land at the value of what a potential development could earn from a tax basis rather than just as vacant land, which is a bad idea as well.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/26...ty-councillors
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #331
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Firestone have some environmental assessment/cleanup issues that would need to be resolved as well, or am I mis-remembering that?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #332
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Googling Firestone I came across this interesting read

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...restone_tower/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #333
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be cool to see what that "Ehret Centre" vision looked like.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #334
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would definitely would be interesting to see what they imagined it to have looked like. A 20k arena in in 1978 would have been quite the sight.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #335
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Some pretty good firepower in this group, although the Edmonton inclusion may be off-putting

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...rters-bid.html

According to the province, the Amazon HQ2 leadership team has extensive networks it will use to build a national and international profile for Alberta bids in an effort to show the world why Edmonton and Calgary are great places to do business.

The team will focus on showcasing Alberta’s high quality of life, low taxes, diverse and well-educated workforce, extensive public infrastructure and world-class health care, said the release.

The government said having the presidents of Alberta’s two largest universities on the Amazon HQ2 team will help position the province as an innovative and nimble workforce, capable of responding to the talent requirements of Amazon, or any company looking to build a headquarters.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #336
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that the Alberta government is taking this seriously. Like I've said, if we even make the shortlist, that would be an amazing marketing position for us.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #337
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muta View Post
i like that the alberta government is taking this seriously. Like i've said, if we even make the shortlist, that would be an amazing marketing position for us.
CALGARY: HEART OF THE NEW WEST AND 2017 AMAZON HQ2 SHORTLIST CITY
...right
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #338
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
CALGARY: HEART OF THE NEW WEST AND 2017 AMAZON HQ2 SHORTLIST CITY
...right
Eh. The latter part of that phrase would have more strategic potential for us than the former anyways.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #339
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going put my chips on the table and suggest this is going to land somewhere in or around Pittsburgh. An Eastern HQ seems to make more sense and Bezos already works from the city, it is extremely business and employee friendly. It also has a growing Tech presence with about 40,000+ employed in that sector and the universities to feed that presence.

Last edited by ernie; 09-27-2017 at 06:39 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #340
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little article from CNN about the HQ2. No mention of Calgary, but Canada gets a nod for immigration policies.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/04/tech...als/index.html

Quote:
Canada

Canadian cities such as Toronto and Vancouver are also throwing their hat into the ring.

These places could be especially attractive given uncertainty surrounding immigration in the U.S., according to Ravi Madhavan, a professor of business administration at the University of Pittsburgh and an expert in corporate strategy.

"If [Amazon] wants to hire tens of thousands of tech employees, they have to think be thinking about the visa environment. [Canada] will give them a terrific hedge," Madhavan said.

A spokeswoman for Toronto Global, a firm putting together the Toronto region's bid, also touted Canada's immigration policies.

"Our open immigration policies make it easier for companies to gain access to global talent, and our inclusive and tolerant society makes Canada and the Toronto Region a top choice for international students," the spokeswoman said.

A spokeswoman for the Vancouver Economic Commission made a similar argument.
"Canada's immigration system, with a two-week turnaround time for tech workers' visas, is incredibly welcoming," she said.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote