Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #21
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Pretty sure this is what she did

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Sponsors?_requestid=72018

We ended up with Gap cards and about a month of Kernels popcorn...
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Miles cash only gives you 10.5 cents of value per mile when used. On hotels it usually works out to roughly 13.5 cents.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #23
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually accumulate enough to pay for my wife's airfare to Vancouver for a conference once a year, and we cashed in a bunch for a nice hotel in Halifax this summer. That saved me a tonne.

But predictably, I'm trying to book her flight for this coming March and there's nothing available for the return leg. I'm not sure if it is Air Miles limiting selection, or reduced supply due to everyone trying to cash in their miles, or a bit of both. But of all the random dates I enter in, of course the one day she needs is unavailable.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 10-05-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #24
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Pretty sure this is what she did

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Sponsors?_requestid=72018

We ended up with Gap cards and about a month of Kernels popcorn...
What is this Dream Miles/Cash Miles crap? Are they convertible?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
What is this Dream Miles/Cash Miles crap? Are they convertible?
I think they were at one point. Dream miles are for flights and merchandise. Cash miles can be redeemed for gift cards and I think they can be used in stores as a direct form of payment.

When they introduced "cash miles" a number of years ago I believe it was possible to convert all your miles (which became known as "dream miles") into the cash program. At that time collectors could stay in the regular dream program by default or switch to the cash program (only one form of collecting was allowed.) In the dream program there was gift cards before but they slowly started eliminating them from the dream program and moving them into the cash program. Now, you can't convert miles from dream into cash.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #26
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I think they were at one point. Dream miles are for flights and merchandise. Cash miles can be redeemed for gift cards and I think they can be used in stores as a direct form of payment.

When they introduced "cash miles" a number of years ago I believe it was possible to convert all your miles (which became known as "dream miles") into the cash program. At that time collectors could stay in the regular dream program by default or switch to the cash program (only one form of collecting was allowed.) In the dream program there was gift cards before but they slowly started eliminating them from the dream program and moving them into the cash program. Now, you can't convert miles from dream into cash.
You could never convert dream to cash. Any miles before introduction of cash where set to dream. Also you can collect both. Just set the preference. Ie 50/50, 75/25, or whatever ratio u want. I am 100% in dream and collect enough for a trip to disney every couple years.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last edited by GeoffSK; 10-05-2016 at 09:12 PM.
GeoffSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #27
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have found the best value to be on flights and I usually use my airmiles for Vancouver to Calgary flights.
Getting merchandise seems to be the worst value.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #28
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not related to expiry, more on the structure of the program.

Air Miles backs down, alters rewards program under pressure from collectors

Regarding the class action lawsuit:

5 things to know about the Air Miles lawsuit
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #29
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Where do you order stuff? I find the website extremely confusing (might be the point).
From the main page, click on "get rewarded", then scroll down and choose what kind of reward you want (merchandise, travel or events)

Then, there's a menu, just below the main menu, that has even further options.

There's quite a few signed jerseys available, including a Gaudreau and Bennett.
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...ryId=cat680011

The Gaudreau one costs 4000 air miles, but is listed as $599 directly off the providers website.

The Bennett one costs 3500 miles, and is listed on the website as $499.

I know someone who work for an airline, so I've never used my miles for flights but do find them very handy for hotels and car rentals. Extremely easy to redeem too.

I traded 7000 in a few months ago for a Dyson Cinetic vacuum, because there's no way on Earth I'd ever spend even close to $700 on it in a store.

I don't actually mind the website. Navigation and categories could be laid out easier, but it's not disgustingly horrible.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #30
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
From the main page, click on "get rewarded", then scroll down and choose what kind of reward you want (merchandise, travel or events)

Then, there's a menu, just below the main menu, that has even further options.

There's quite a few signed jerseys available, including a Gaudreau and Bennett.
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...ryId=cat680011

The Gaudreau one costs 4000 air miles, but is listed as $599 directly off the providers website.

The Bennett one costs 3500 miles, and is listed on the website as $499.

I know someone who work for an airline, so I've never used my miles for flights but do find them very handy for hotels and car rentals. Extremely easy to redeem too.

I traded 7000 in a few months ago for a Dyson Cinetic vacuum, because there's no way on Earth I'd ever spend even close to $700 on it in a store.

I don't actually mind the website. Navigation and categories could be laid out easier, but it's not disgustingly horrible.
What? I don't see a Gaudreau or Bennett jersey. I see '93 Canadiens, Bobby Hull, Wendel Clark, Carey Price, Malkin, Tavares, Kane, Beliveau, Toews, and Crosby.

I want your options.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question.

I have 9,000 Dream Miles and just became an Onyx member....what do people do with their dream miles and any real tangible benefits anyone here has seen being an Onyx member?

I've never used a mile...
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #32
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Honest question.

I have 9,000 Dream Miles and just became an Onyx member....what do people do with their dream miles and any real tangible benefits anyone here has seen being an Onyx member?

There is no great benefit. Some flight specials but i never made use. Some rewards are discounted at times some good deals there. Your points don't expire if you keep the onyx status.
One benefit is the smaller wait times on the phone, i think there is a seperate onyx line when you phone in and punch in your airmiles number.
There is also a redemption benefit of redeeming for stuff not in the rewards catelog. They call it a personal shopper where you tell them what you want they find it for you for an airmiles amount, then you decide if u want to redeem.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeoffSK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure about Onyx. Back when I didn't have gold, it seemed like gold members got better deals on all the flights that interested me. Now I have gold status and it seems like I don't find the good gold deals nearly as easily now.

I would say there are some benefits, but nothing spectacular. To maintain gold status, all I really need to do is throw in one purchase a year at somewhere I don't go often that has Air Miles. The vast majority of my miles come from Safeway.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #34
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Honest question.

Same as Geoff said above, but I'll touch more on the Personal Shopper thing.
So, to make it easier, lets go along with 9,000 miles will get you approx $900 worth of merchandise. Give or take a few. So, if you really want something in that price range and they don't have available on their online catalog, you contact them, ask them to source it, and check how many miles it would cost. You then have x amount of days to decide if you want it or not, and if you choose to go ahead, they'll acquire it for you. IF not, no penalty for you getting them to look into it.

The priority call feature is decent, especially after reading so many recent stories of people having to wait on hold for long periods, but I've never called them personally and instead order anything from the website.

Although I haven't used the shopper option yet (only reached Onyx last month) I have a few items on my want list that I plan to inquire about. I think that part is super cool.

Edit to add, from their website:

Quote:
The Personal Shopper Service is a team committed to finding merchandise not available in the Dream Rewards catalogue. This service gives Onyx Collectors the benefit of using their Dream Miles on a wide range of products not seen on airmiles.ca. Whether it's the latest tablet for your daughter's birthday or that designer watch you've had your eye on.

Onyx Collectors can begin using the service by contact the Customer Care Service Centre at 1-844-399-ONYX or Chat with us live on airmiles.ca.

Once you've placed the inquiry, a Personal Shopper team member will look into your request and follow-up with a quote for the amount of Dream Miles needed within 5 - 10 business days. There is no extra fee for this Service.

Certain exclusions may apply for what can be ordered through the Personal Shopper Service; to view our Terms and Conditions for this service click here.
We dare you to dream of new ways to get rewarded and let us take care of the rest! To get in touch with us, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Contact us!

Last edited by JonDuke; 10-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #35
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, as long as you maintain Onyx status, your miles will never expire. If you don't keep up with being an Onyx member, that feature stops a year after you've became one.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #36
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Just cashed all mine out (15,400) on a bookshelf stereo, and 55" TV.

Kinda PO'd. I tried 15 different ways to book a couple flights to Hawaii direct, it was impossible any time in the next 13 months, without 2-3 changovers, or in a time that remotely worked for me. I just changed my BMO Elite Airmiles, to the cash back card as well. Don't need the headache of what is supposed to be a fun rrewards program.

My understanding, is in the panic with expiring miles, everyone is cashing out the flights and merchandise at once, since the AM hoarders that collected for decades in some cases, have to use them now or never, and their redemptions are up 400% right now. It seems like they had a very poor contingency plan for this.

Either way, since I got the Visa Avion card, there is next to no reason to go through the hassle with airmiles anymore. Zero restrictions, and redemtion is so easy. Airmiles website alone is such a clusterfata it's not even funny.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple nights at Sheraton Eau Claire it is. I wonder if I can upgrade it to Club suite when I check in?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #38
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Just cashed all mine out (15,400) on a bookshelf stereo, and 55" TV.

Kinda PO'd. I tried 15 different ways to book a couple flights to Hawaii direct, it was impossible any time in the next 13 months, without 2-3 changovers, or in a time that remotely worked for me. I just changed my BMO Elite Airmiles, to the cash back card as well. Don't need the headache of what is supposed to be a fun rrewards program.

My understanding, is in the panic with expiring miles, everyone is cashing out the flights and merchandise at once, since the AM hoarders that collected for decades in some cases, have to use them now or never, and their redemptions are up 400% right now. It seems like they had a very poor contingency plan for this.

Either way, since I got the Visa Avion card, there is next to no reason to go through the hassle with airmiles anymore. Zero restrictions, and redemtion is so easy. Airmiles website alone is such a clusterfata it's not even funny.
Maybe that's it - everyone suddenly trying to use miles before they expire. I can only travel at the peak travel times and I've always got decent flights with Air Miles. Most recent was Barbados for spring break and I had the exact same flights as I get when I pay for it.

I haven't tried to book anything in the last few months though.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #39
GeoffSK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Maybe that's it - everyone suddenly trying to use miles before they expire. I can only travel at the peak travel times and I've always got decent flights with Air Miles. Most recent was Barbados for spring break and I had the exact same flights as I get when I pay for it.

I haven't tried to book anything in the last few months though.
I took my family of 6 to disneyworld last dec using airmiles. I always book early though 8 to 10 months in advance.

Using airmiles to go to palm springs this feb. No real issues besides aircanda changing the flights around after the fact.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #40
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just used my 3800 air miles collected over ten years on some headphones. Haven't really collected air miles since I stopped filling up at Shell. I almost forgot I even had the miles. Figured might as well get something out of it before the miles expire.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote