Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Devil's Rule
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Gas stove safety

Well I hope this thread is in the right spot and not a Fata...so here it goes.

My wife and I had just bought a new home and the stove or range that it comes along with it is gas and I've always wanted one for the instant heat and even temperatures. However we have a very curios 3 1/2 year old boy that literally touches everything in his reach and are actually contemplating having the gas outlet capped and purchasing an electric stove.

The main concern is that the knobs are on the front of the stove and that he might turn them and open the gas valve leaving it open without igniting it and filling up the house with gas. The actual ignition of the stove is a bit more difficult so the concern is not as great.

Is anyone aware of any safety features or addons to gas stoves that might eliminate this type of an accident or particular precautions that can be taken (i read somewhere that removing the knobs might be one solution).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Here's what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Cle.../dp/B00068O22S

$8.99
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take the knobs off.
Get a CO detector for the home.

I've actually bumped mine and filled up the kitchen with nat gas before. Not pleasant. Depends on the stove, though. Some are much harder to accidentally move than others. The new one we have is much better.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Most of today's gas stoves have a spark ignition that will try and light as soon as the gas is opened. Once the knob is turned the gas for the burner comes out, and you will hear a "Popping" noise, which is the spark gap ignition. The spark will light the gas and you have a lit burner. So the danger isnt that the room will fill with gas and explode, the danger is the open flames on the cooking surface.

Like I said, all of today's stoves are like this. The last time I saw a gas (propane) stove that needed to be manually lit with a match was in my 1980 GMC Edson motorhome.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

If you decide you're really not comfortable with a gas range, consider an induction rage perhaps.

With induction, it's just the pot that heats up, so there's less risk of a little one being burned, and no risk of gas being left on. Induction also heats up even quicker than gas.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could also get a new gas stove with the knobs at the back instead of the front where he can reach them.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjcsjc62 View Post
Most of today's gas stoves have a spark ignition that will try and light as soon as the gas is opened. Once the knob is turned the gas for the burner comes out, and you will hear a "Popping" noise, which is the spark gap ignition.

Like I said, all of today's stoves are like this.
I've owned 3 in the last decade. All of them had a 'light' position that they have to be in to get that spark, and can be turned past it. It's entirely possible to fill a room with gas.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

While not the cheapest option - our Wolf cooktop will re-ignite the flame if it goes out at any knob position, (yes, I just said "knob position"), and not just the "light" position.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Devil's Rule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for all the great feedback.