Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #41
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Wrong. My RBC card was locked because I used it overseas this past month.
Are you sure that's why it was locked? I've had mine locked a few times over the last few years and it's always been, without exception, because of a phone or online order, usually several in a row. I haven't had it locked because I used it overseas since about 2001.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #42
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

The number one thing to remember (regardless of the specifics of your strategy) is to minimize the number of currency exchange transactions you need (which is why a USD card is useful)
I'll bite; why? Whatever the fee is, it is almost always a percentage as opposed to a per transaction, although airport money exchanges do have service charges as well. But using a credit card, multiple transactions aren't going to make it worse. Using an online exchange service you can get slight improvements in the rate with larger sums, but none of this really applies to relatively small amounts one would use while going on vacation once in a while.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #43
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
BTW, if you are looking to get American cash, I found that Canex Forex in Eau Claire has very good rates compared to banks.
My buddy owns that place! Great place, good service and he always charges a lower rate than big banks
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I'll bite; why? Whatever the fee is, it is almost always a percentage as opposed to a per transaction, although airport money exchanges do have service charges as well. But using a credit card, multiple transactions aren't going to make it worse. Using an online exchange service you can get slight improvements in the rate with larger sums, but none of this really applies to relatively small amounts one would use while going on vacation once in a while.
With multiple transactions, you're almost certainly going to pay the full spread. If you reduce it to one transaction, conversion can be more easily managed and a good rate achieved.

If you use a Canadian dollar credit card, each transaction will be converted from USD to CAD on your card at 2.5% per.

With a USD card, you only need to convert once, and you can shop for a currency exchange that is more favourable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With multiple transactions, you're almost certainly going to pay the full spread. If you reduce it to one transaction, conversion can be more easily managed and a good rate achieved.

If you use a Canadian dollar credit card, each transaction will be converted from USD to CAD on your card at 2.5% per.

With a USD card, you only need to convert once, and you can shop for a currency exchange that is more favourable.
2.5% on multiple small transactions is the same as 2.5% on one large transaction. There isn't much reason to use cash unless cc isn't accepted. And the 2.5% is a lot more than the minor variations in the CAD-USD over the course of a week or two. Again, if your're using a points card, then you can likely balance out those transaction fees entirely, than if all you did was take a lump sum out of an ATM or forex type place.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #46
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not to mention trying to time the forex market is difficult for a pro, never mind a retail exchanger changing a couple of grand when you go on vacation.

But whatever works for an individual is good for them. I just know after doing different types of currency exchange and transfer, and living and paying in the States for a good chunk of several years, I finally found that quite often just using my regular rewards CC was within 1% of my other methods typically.

I just feel for the OP looking for a definitive answer
Old 09-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
2.5% on multiple small transactions is the same as 2.5% on one large transaction. There isn't much reason to use cash unless cc isn't accepted. And the 2.5% is a lot more than the minor variations in the CAD-USD over the course of a week or two. Again, if your're using a points card, then you can likely balance out those transaction fees entirely, than if all you did was take a lump sum out of an ATM or forex type place.
If you read my post it clearly said to use a USD card - completely eliminates the 2.5% currency on every transaction.

If you don't have a USD card, use cash.

Either way, one currency transaction (instead of multiple) makes it easier to get that 2.5% down to a very manageable, small cost.

Does no one read anymore?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #48
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did. Looks to me like wormius did too. I don't understand what would make you ask that. Unless you didn't read our responses correctly.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm not wrong. Just because something happened to you, doesn't mean what I posted was wrong.
Hilariously, since that change, I've had my card locked twice, after purchasing hotels and flights, the 'industry-leading fraud detection system' couldn't figure out that I was making local purchases in the same place I booked said flights and hotels.

Even funnier, since that change, I've had my card number stolen twice, and this same 'industry-leading fraud detection system' didn't find it remotely odd that I was making purchases back and forth in both Calgary and Flint Michigan within the same hour.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #50
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you read my post it clearly said to use a USD card - completely eliminates the 2.5% currency on every transaction.

If you don't have a USD card, use cash.

Either way, one currency transaction (instead of multiple) makes it easier to get that 2.5% down to a very manageable, small cost.

Does no one read anymore?
How much better do you do than 2.5% on your single transactions?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #51
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How much better do you do than 2.5% on your single transactions?
Not Enoch, but I do about 2.49% better.

If you have an interactive brokers account for brokerage, you can get wholesale forex rates even on relatively small amounts (1k minimum I think).

Even if you don't, you could do Norberts Gambit with your regular brokerage account, which will be very close to the wholesale rate. (Buy an interlisted stock in Canada and sell it in the US, then withdraw the USD)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #52
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Hilariously, since that change, I've had my card locked twice, after purchasing hotels and flights, the 'industry-leading fraud detection system' couldn't figure out that I was making local purchases in the same place I booked said flights and hotels.

Even funnier, since that change, I've had my card number stolen twice, and this same 'industry-leading fraud detection system' didn't find it remotely odd that I was making purchases back and forth in both Calgary and Flint Michigan within the same hour.
If only you "unnecessarily" called in and had them put a note on your account.

Apparently that's not necessary but they'll still block your account.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #53
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Travelling to the U.S. - cash vs credit card

Quote:
If only you "unnecessarily" called in and had them put a note on your account.
I did. And I was promptly told they no longer do that.

Already said that in my original post. But here it is again.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #54
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I did. And I was promptly told they no longer do that.
That was the joke...
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #55
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was the joke...
Whoops.