Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 10:32 PM   #21
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Use your garage for cars. Stop leaving your junk inside and cars outside.

...If you have a garage for cars...
This I agree with, in theory. But what it doesn't account for my frikking addiction to cars and motorcycles. My summer stuff gets the garage year round.

This summer I'm going to look at installing a couple lifts. It's that or an acreage with a really big quonset/shop. I'm thinking a couple lifts is far more affordable long term.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:51 AM   #22
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I get piling on people is the cool thing to do around here.... but.

I get a company car, and why would I use my personal vehicles in the winter when I get a demo from work? So I usually park my personal vehicles in the winter.

Regardless, I pull trailers, camp, do a lot of overlanding, and run a small business on the side that requires a truck in the summer and the odd time in the winter. And or some of the places I end up going, I need a pretty specialized truck to get access. The dealership kinda frowns on me loading a quad on the roof of a Golf R and driving it up sketchy at best logging roads in the middle of nowhere.

That would be the more polite reply than what I originally wrote.
Lol post the original comment? There wasn't piling on, I'm literally the only person who took a (very) light shot. Don't be such a snowflake.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:14 AM   #23
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the incentive outweighs the threat of punishment here. It's so easy to steal a high end car and the risk of getting caught seems very low. Will likely only get worse from here as more people struggle to live. Pretty crazy to see just how quickly it can happen wow.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #24
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are steering wheel locks effective or have the thieves figured out an easy way around them?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:21 AM   #25
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Are steering wheel locks effective or have the thieves figured out an easy way around them?
The club? Think it works just fine unless they replace the steering wheel. Much of this stuff is performative safety to make the owner feel better. Someone wants it they’ll get it and it’s not like we’re living in 1990s New Jersey. Fear sells dumb products better than anything else. Homer Simpson tiger rock etc etc
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:30 AM   #26
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
What about garage openers, I wonder? Can garage opener codes be stolen the same way or are they on different transmission method?
For the car method, they aren't stealing the codes, they are just relaying them. Essentially they take the transmitted signal from your keys in the house and move them close to your door, so your car thinks the key is in range.

This doesn't work for garage doors as they don't transmit until you push the button, and once a code is used once, it's no longer valid (rolling codes). There's a clever technique called a "RollJam" that tricks someone into pushing their button a second time so the theif gets the next code, but otherwise these are not as easy to defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So they can get your fob's code just from being around it? You don't have to be pressing a button on it or anything?
Proximity keys are always actively transmitting.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 11:40 AM   #27
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are cheap and simple kill switches, of course if you have remote start this doesn't help. But as it was pointed out before just get a $25 faraday box for keys.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:54 PM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the "safe distance" to store keys?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:43 PM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Lol post the original comment? There wasn't piling on, I'm literally the only person who took a (very) light shot. Don't be such a snowflake.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:46 PM   #30
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Taking a hacksaw to the steering wheel takes less than a minute to remove a club. They are pretty useless.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 03:43 PM   #31
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

All you're trying to do with any of these anti-theft techniques is make your vehicle harder to steel than your neighbours.

There is no way to stop a car theft when the thief really wants the car. But if you park your car in a garage with a club on it and keep the keys in a Faraday box, they'll probably take someone else's car.

I say this as a guy that's had two vehicles stolen, so I've got lots of experience on what not to do.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 05:26 PM   #32
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are any of the manufacturers doing anything to deal with this? Why don't we go back to a physical key, along with the fob? Or make it so the FOB is inserted somehow and has to make contact, transfering another piece of info, for the car to start? Sure it's cool I can keep my keys in my pocket and still drive my car. But you know what's cooler? Not getting my car stolen.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:38 PM   #33
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Are any of the manufacturers doing anything to deal with this? Why don't we go back to a physical key, along with the fob? Or make it so the FOB is inserted somehow and has to make contact, transfering another piece of info, for the car to start? Sure it's cool I can keep my keys in my pocket and still drive my car. But you know what's cooler? Not getting my car stolen.

They dont care. Their business is selling new vehicles and parts to fix these vehicles. Theft is good for business as insurance pays out and you go replace said car. Especially with the 5 yr replacement riders on new vehicles these days.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:02 PM   #34
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

maybe this is too simple minded... but with so many vehicles having touch screens now why not have a number pad displayed on the screen and you have to enter a "pin" to get the vehicle out of park? sure, the thief can get in and get your car started, but if they can't get it in gear they are kinda stuck.

depending on where your fuses are just pull the fuse to your fuel pump (or install a kill switch for your fuel pump)... no gas, no go!
Old 04-30-2024, 07:43 PM   #35
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With how cheap GPS chips are these days..how aren't all new vehicles equipped with one?

A freakin airtag is like $30.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:51 AM   #36
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
maybe this is too simple minded... but with so many vehicles having touch screens now why not have a number pad displayed on the screen and you have to enter a "pin" to get the vehicle out of park? sure, the thief can get in and get your car started, but if they can't get it in gear they are kinda stuck.

depending on where your fuses are just pull the fuse to your fuel pump (or install a kill switch for your fuel pump)... no gas, no go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
With how cheap GPS chips are these days..how aren't all new vehicles equipped with one?

A freakin airtag is like $30.
While both of these are good ideas, manufactures aren't so concerned about theft as they are consumer demand. How many people wouldn't want to buy a car that you had to enter a pin on before starting the car? Or put another way, how many people would pay extra for this feature? How many people would pay for an always on gps tracker as a feature, and how many people wouldn't but a vehicle that tracks all movement?

From a purely economic perspective, there'd be to be demand for these features as manufacturers have no real incentive to put more effort into anti theft features
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:56 AM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla's basically do all of this. The PIN is a feature you turn on or off. Has anyone not bought a Tesla because it tracks your every move? I'm sure there are some, but I get the feeling most people don't care anymore.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:01 AM   #38
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
While both of these are good ideas, manufactures aren't so concerned about theft as they are consumer demand. How many people wouldn't want to buy a car that you had to enter a pin on before starting the car? Or put another way, how many people would pay extra for this feature? How many people would pay for an always on gps tracker as a feature, and how many people wouldn't but a vehicle that tracks all movement?

From a purely economic perspective, there'd be to be demand for these features as manufacturers have no real incentive to put more effort into anti theft features

i get what you are saying, but don't most people have a "pin" to access their phone... and they do that multiple times per hour
Old 05-02-2024, 10:02 PM   #39
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never understood the fear of being tracked. Like what's so special in your life that it matters if you're being tracked.

Also, I ordered a 23&me DNA kit and had some conspiracy theory friends think I'm crazy "they're gonna have your DNA...you don't know what they'll do with it"

Yeah so? They can do whatever they want with it lol it doesn't effect me in any way.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 09:56 AM   #40
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This relay attack is not how they are stealing 6th gen Camaros, Range Rovers, etc.

They simply plug into the OBD port and program a new key, takes less than 2 minutes. Doesn't matter if your FOB is on the other side of the planet. They don't need it.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote