Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 11:14 AM   #41
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ditch the ####ing kids and hit up Canoe for a good meal and good views.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:19 AM   #42
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some buddies and I went to TO for a stag, I know different crowed lol. But we went to Medieval Times and had a blast. Maybe not the best for the 2 yo...but lots of fun in general.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:47 AM   #43
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The food scene there in incredible! So many great places to grab a bite to eat; Little Italy / Little Portugal, Kensington Market, Ossington and Dundas, just to name some areas. Aside from what's already been mentioned, when I lived there for a year, I always loved going for a run down on Martin Goodman Trail (along the waterfront), as well as Ontario Place an the East/West Islands. Go see a Jays game too!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 11:47 AM   #44
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
Some buddies and I went to TO for a stag, I know different crowed lol. But we went to Medieval Times and had a blast. Maybe not the best for the 2 yo...but lots of fun in general.
Classic
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Also, since you're downtown, take the TTC (so, Subway and streetcars). That's the fastest, cheapest and most convenient way to get around downtown (take subway to get to the closest stop to wherever you want to go and streetcars to take you east/west). Uber in downtown traffic will be tiring.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:16 PM   #46
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The 80s was awesome.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:30 PM   #47
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
According to Niagara’s tourism board, and as one of 60-100 different spectacles that claim the same thing.

It’s not even natural! They designed it to look the way it does. There’s videos online and - get this - you can watch them without subjecting yourself to the hell that is the entire area around it.
Well, hey, I think it’s a really cool engineering spectacle, with still giving accolades to its natural past. To each their own. Mind you, driving in the car in GTA traffic with a young toddler does sound pretty intolerable haha. But… the Niagara Region is a gorgeous area, outside of Niagara Falls. Beautiful scenery with the vineyards, and it’s not completely developed unlike surrounding areas.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 04-29-2024 at 04:33 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:09 PM   #48
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Port Stanley is also nice.
Every time I visit family in southern Ontario we go to Port Stanley. No trip is complete without a visit to Mackie's for some medicore food (the orange drink stuff is okay) and then stopping at Shaw's ice cream on the way out.

EDIT: so I can be slightly on topic...I completely agree with NO rental cars in Toronto. You'll regret it very quickly. Just rent one when you're going outside the city for the day.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Port Stanley is also nice.
Hey, if you end up in Port Stanley send me a PM, we can meet up at Mackie's for fries! I am 10 min from Port Stanley. Always up to meet another CPer.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:16 PM   #50
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree with no car, we stayed central and only picked one up when we were heading out to a cabin.

I think Pepsi free is wrong about Niagara, it is worth the visit to see the falls, walk along the river, go behind the falls, and take the boat ride. Then go see Clifton Hill, hate every moment of that, leave, and say you were glad you went but probably won’t go back. Honestly we enjoyed it, and yup would probably never go back.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:53 AM   #51
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found the HHOF to be hugely disappointing. First, it is in the basement of a downtown mall. Here is the service elevator, over here are the toilets, and in this corner is the HHOF. So lame.

Most of the exhibits are old jerseys and one hallway of hockey masks. The interactive exhibits include shooting on a video screen goalie and foam pucks shot at you from random holes in the wall. About the same as what you might find at Chuck E Cheese. Everything worth seeing was crammed into the big room with all the trophies and inductee wall plaques. The inductee plaques go from the floor to about 12 feet high, so you can crawl on the ground to see the ones at the bottom, or crane your neck to see the ones up top.

The NHL should be ashamed of this. It is embarassingly bad.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:25 PM   #52
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I found the HHOF to be hugely disappointing. First, it is in the basement of a downtown mall. Here is the service elevator, over here are the toilets, and in this corner is the HHOF. So lame.

Most of the exhibits are old jerseys and one hallway of hockey masks. The interactive exhibits include shooting on a video screen goalie and foam pucks shot at you from random holes in the wall. About the same as what you might find at Chuck E Cheese. Everything worth seeing was crammed into the big room with all the trophies and inductee wall plaques. The inductee plaques go from the floor to about 12 feet high, so you can crawl on the ground to see the ones at the bottom, or crane your neck to see the ones up top.

I was there about 20 years ago. Sure I was happy with a one and done, but enjoyed it. It was really cool seeing the Sydney Millionaires on the Stanley Cup in person.

The Chuck-E-Cheese type games the kids will love.

Plus, it's not that expensive. I'm cool with it.

Yeah, it's in a downtown mall/building. It's not quite in the basement, but no it's not a standalone pillar like you might expect.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:48 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you get to the top of the CN Tower get to that glass bit that looks straight down and start doing Jumping Jacks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:55 AM   #54
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
The food scene there in incredible! So many great places to grab a bite to eat; Little Italy / Little Portugal, Kensington Market, Ossington and Dundas, just to name some areas. Aside from what's already been mentioned, when I lived there for a year, I always loved going for a run down on Martin Goodman Trail (along the waterfront), as well as Ontario Place an the East/West Islands. Go see a Jays game too!
It's funny, lots of Torontonians defer to Montreal as the best food scene in Canada (and they may very well be right), but Toronto has such diversity that you can find just about anything from around the world here. I'll never not enjoy everything between Liberty Village, up to Dundas West, over to Yonge/Bloor and back down through to the Distillery District. I'm not even touching on Queen East, Yonge in North York, Scarborough or Markham.

One thing I will say if I think shawarma is better in Calgary. It just hits different .
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #55
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was impressed by the library; every category of the dewy decimal system has its own floor.
Where I had lunch a table full of young marketing gurus were debating whether or not housewives in the west would buy margarine in a 3 pound soft, they agreed it was worth a try. That was in 1989, 3 pound soft containers are a common seller now - those boys were smarter than they looked.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:20 AM   #56
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It's funny, lots of Torontonians defer to Montreal as the best food scene in Canada (and they may very well be right), but Toronto has such diversity that you can find just about anything from around the world here. I'll never not enjoy everything between Liberty Village, up to Dundas West, over to Yonge/Bloor and back down through to the Distillery District. I'm not even touching on Queen East, Yonge in North York, Scarborough or Markham.

One thing I will say if I think shawarma is better in Calgary. It just hits different .
Koreatown on Bloor, Little Italy on College... It goes on and on, really. Fantastic food scene in Toronto and I think, better than Montreal due to diversity of food you can find in Toronto and number of options in Toronto. I also lived in Montreal for about 7-8 months right before covid.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 03:20 PM   #57
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

Wow. I couldn’t disagree more. I absolutely love the HHOF.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 PM   #58
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Oddly, never occured to me tonight to see if I had the points to fly.

Turns out... I do!

Likely going to book tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 07:34 PM   #59
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quick update: Trip is booked

July 23-29

My 7 year old is pumped.

Thinking of renting a car to head out to Canada's Wonderland, but would need a car seat. Any reccomendations?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 07:40 PM   #60
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Quick update: Trip is booked

July 23-29

My 7 year old is pumped.

Thinking of renting a car to head out to Canada's Wonderland, but would need a car seat. Any reccomendations?
Take the subway to Vaughn then take an Uber to Canada’s Wonderland.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote