Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 02:38 PM   #14881
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don’t know why we still have a double-standard. Probably generational.
I think it is 2 things:

1-smoking = bad. That's really been drilled into my head & it has been since I was little, I am a youthful and virile 52 yr old.

2-legality hangover. As a youthful and virile 52 yr old I can still see it as illegal.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:40 PM   #14882
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a gear grinder as I don’t mind but my wife spent 3.5 hours in the phone yesterday with her sister. It’s far from the first time. They live hours apart. The other sister - 45 minutes tops. There is no one I want to spend 3.5 hours on the phone with.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:44 PM   #14883
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What about drinking wine or beer?
Is second-hand wine or beer a thing now?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:44 PM   #14884
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Not a gear grinder as I don’t mind but my wife spent 3.5 hours in the phone yesterday with her sister. It’s far from the first time. They live hours apart. The other sister - 45 minutes tops. There is no one I want to spend 3.5 hours on the phone with.
if you want he to continue cleaning you nibbley bits I wouldn't sweat this

Quote:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:47 PM   #14885
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
if you want he to continue cleaning you nibbley bits I wouldn't sweat this
I said I don’t mind. And my spouse is a she.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 PM   #14886
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I said I don’t mind. And my spouse is a she.
i wasn't passing judgement.

I am a forward thinking virile 52 yr old

Quote:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:59 PM   #14887
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'll often have long conversations with my sister in TO. We had a 3.5-hour one this very weekend. These aren't discussions to catch up on what's going on in our lives, they are more philosophical and making sense of the world. I see her in person every two or three years. It would be weird to only have conversations when we are together.

I have a good friend in Kelowna - we've been friends for 45+ years - we'll talk about an hour each week or two. We spend most of the time trying to make each other laugh.

I have local friends, too. With one of them, we'll often spend 3+ hours at a coffee shop.

A conversation is a conversation - I don't understand why their length makes a difference whether they are on the phone vs. not.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:03 PM   #14888
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We’ve been having BBQs and parties with our circle of friends and our kids since long before pot was legalized. Even though we often drink to excess and things can get boisterous, anyone who smokes pot slinks off to a garage to do it surreptitiously. This has continued after pot was legalized.

There’s still something about smoking pot that feels skeevy. When we have parties we do discretely drink THC drinks when the kids are around (they’re all teenagers now) without any fuss. But even there it’s not really open like the booze is. I’ll tell the kids I’m going to the liquor store to grab some beer. I don’t tell them if I’m grabbing some gummies.

I don’t know why we still have a double-standard. Probably generational.
Definitely generational. All my young coworkers wouldn’t think anything of it and skeevy stoners aren’t even a thing for them. It’s so normalized.

But I also agree with sainters. Smoking joints is kind of trashy. Vapes, edibles, drinks etc is the way to go. Then again I’m also kind of old.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:05 PM   #14889
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm open about my use of psychedelics with my adult sons but haven't tripped with them around. Not sure that I ever would.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #14890
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is there anything redeeming about Calgary weather? Almost any nice day has significant wind, completely ruining the ability to enjoy it. Our rainy/overcast weather no longer features actual sustained rainfall so the city looks burnt out and ugly by early July.

Then hot season comes and you can't see 50 feet in front you or breathe properly due to constant smoke days. Then there's a nice mix of slush and brown dirt/mud throughout spring and summer to tie everything together.
Spring is practically non existent and summer is a teaser but autumn can be pretty nice. And for a prairie city winter is almost a non factor. Warm (relatively speaking) temperatures for the most part and periodic chinooks to boost them even more. Moving here from central Alberta winter was the one thing that really stood out in Calgary to me in a positive way.

But generally speaking, yeah the weather is less than what I would consider ideal if you like summer.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:21 PM   #14891
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Spring is practically non existent and summer is a teaser but autumn can be pretty nice. And for a prairie city winter is almost a non factor. Warm (relatively speaking) temperatures for the most part and periodic chinooks to boost them even more. Moving here from central Alberta winter was the one thing that really stood out in Calgary to me in a positive way.

But generally speaking, yeah the weather is less than what I would consider ideal if you like summer.
I much prefer central Alberta winters. The freeze/melt/thaw cycle Calgary has sucks IMO.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:27 PM   #14892
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Definitely generational. All my young coworkers wouldn’t think anything of it and skeevy stoners aren’t even a thing for them. It’s so normalized.

But I also agree with sainters. Smoking joints is kind of trashy. Vapes, edibles, drinks etc is the way to go. Then again I’m also kind of old.
See I think of the little vapes more like vodka in a coffee mug, it allows for people to pretend that they arent doing drugs.

A joint is more like a beer in the park, open and accountable.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #14893
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
See I think of the little vapes more like vodka in a coffee mug, it allows for people to pretend that they arent doing drugs.

A joint is more like a beer in the park, open and accountable.
Vape pens rule. I'm not a big drinker, but I do go to a pub with my friends at least weekly. While I'm at the urinal I'll usually take a pull off my pen. It's very discreet and the smell dissipates very fast. Plus you don't smell like an ashtray after.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:33 PM   #14894
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My brother and sister-in-law vape in their house, and there is a film of it on all their windows. Their house smells like a combination of whatever fruity vape they're on and those plug in Febreeze air "fresheners". I can taste that combination in my lungs for like an hour after I leave their house, so I don't know how they live it in. It's beyond disgusting.
I’ve smoked and vaped. A couple pulls to try and sleep feel way worse than half a pack of ciggies. Zero chance they aren’t bad as fata for you.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:33 PM   #14895
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Back to meetings...

How many of you have weekly or bi-weekly in-person status updates? (show of hands!) If you do, that manager/lead is not tuned in. Meetings should only be to strategize or do work.

As an employee:
1) Why should I have to update my work in front of the entire team?
2) Why waste an hour just listening to people mostly go off topic
3) You often have different levels of employees in the same room
4) What's the manager doing the other 39 hours of the week that he need a status update every week?

We have technology now. Projects should be allocated to small teams or individuals to perform and update into a project management tool, like MS Project or Sharepoint or whatever. Delegate a team lead for that who can call his own meetings and update the status in the system. Manager tracks projects and day to day work, is on top of everything all the time. Talk to project leads if he feels things are off track.

There are a lot of managers who call a lot of meetings, or want, need consensus to make every decision to avoid responsibility. Those managers are useless.
Meetings are a waste of time, and get you off track. Unless you have something to accomplish, review you don't need them.

They are also prolonged with people thinking, or just spitting out their thoughts while the rest of the people listen.

People have poor time management skills, and don't value other peoples time. It's really annoying actually.

One of my co-workers skipped a meeting on time management, because they felt it was a waste of time. Ironic because they are one of the main culprits of wasting peoples time by scheduling pointless meetings and prolong the day for no reason.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:34 PM   #14896
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Vape pens rule. I'm not a big drinker, but I do go to a pub with my friends at least weekly. While I'm at the urinal I'll usually take a pull off my pen. It's very discreet and the smell dissipates very fast. Plus you don't smell like an ashtray after.
The stark difference between the pens is hard to manage. One feels like a cloud the next feels like vaporized razor blades.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:49 PM   #14897
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'll often have long conversations with my sister in TO. We had a 3.5-hour one this very weekend. These aren't discussions to catch up on what's going on in our lives, they are more philosophical and making sense of the world. I see her in person every two or three years. It would be weird to only have conversations when we are together.

I have a good friend in Kelowna - we've been friends for 45+ years - we'll talk about an hour each week or two. We spend most of the time trying to make each other laugh.

I have local friends, too. With one of them, we'll often spend 3+ hours at a coffee shop.

A conversation is a conversation - I don't understand why their length makes a difference whether they are on the phone vs. not.
My wife and sister-in-law talk for 3+ hours roughly weekly. And they’re three hours apart. Coffee shop for three hours; I get that. I think there’s a big difference between phone and face-to-face chats. I have many friends, some I could talk with for that long. Phone, no, but I don’t like the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:50 AM   #14898
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WTF do they do it in the house? No one was ever allowed to smoke in our house or cars although some tried. Are your brother sister-in-law childless?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Nope, they have two kids. They insist the vapour is harmless.
My son insists the same thing, I dont know enough about it to really complain and further, I have a fairly diminished sense of smell so it doesnt really bother me other than smoking/vaping indoors seems off-side.

My dad was a smoker while I was growing up and the only rule, really, was 'never in the house.'

My wife however has the nose of a Bloodhound and she doesnt seem to mind the vaping in the house so I just shrug it off. But I do agree...Gear Grinder.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:20 AM   #14899
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried vaping for a good 3 or 4 months, thinking hey great no bad smell, super discrete, this is awesome!

But it made me cough, like, all the time. My lungs always felt like there some kind of fluid in there or something. As if I had bronchitis all the time. Soon as I stopped and went to good ol joints it went away. Could be a me thing, but I'm not convinced vapes are the great 'healthy alternative' that some claim.

Either way you're inhaling stuff and thats not good for you, but joints seem like the lesser of two evils to me.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:30 AM   #14900
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I tried vaping for a good 3 or 4 months, thinking hey great no bad smell, super discrete, this is awesome!

But it made me cough, like, all the time. My lungs always felt like there some kind of fluid in there or something. As if I had bronchitis all the time. Soon as I stopped and went to good ol joints it went away. Could be a me thing, but I'm not convinced vapes are the great 'healthy alternative' that some claim.

Either way you're inhaling stuff and thats not good for you, but joints seem like the lesser of two evils to me.
This is my experience as well. Not a fan of the vapes at all.