Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #1581
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The love of interchanges and hatred of money spent anywhere else by the average Calgarian will never stop confusing me.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #1582
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The love of interchanges and hatred of money spent anywhere else by the average Calgarian will never stop confusing me.
I don't understand why everyone doesn't just want to see the whole city become awesome in all ways.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #1583
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

News and Notes

Route 300 Airport bus update
Quote:
Despite few YYC customers, high hopes reign for Calgary's airport bus

By Dave Dormer ,Calgary Sun First posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 03:54 PM MDT | Updated: Monday, March 18, 2013 09:47 AM MDT

More than 1,000 people ride Calgary Transit’s airport express bus weekly, but only 30% of those are getting on at YYC, says a report going to the city’s transportation committee Wednesday.

And of those getting on at the airport, only 35% are travellers, with the remaining passengers people who board downtown and along Centre St. N.

While the route has met performance goals set by transit brass, ridership will likely increase further once the 96 Ave. N.E. overpass project and Airport Tr. improvements are complete, said Ald. Jim Stevenson, whose ward includes the airport.
[...]

Established in June 2011, the bus ferries passengers from the downtown core, north on Centre St. to 64 Ave. where it cuts east to Deerfoot Tr. and north to Airport Tr., providing a direct link between downtown and the airport.
Link to the rest of the article

-------------------------

West LRT Survey

There is a survey put out by Calgary Transit asking riders in the West LRT area about their recent trips, the riding experience on bus and/or train and to compare them to before West LRT was operational.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/survey/index.html

Northwest LRT Extension to Tuscany Station

Here's some recent photos taken by Tallis from CPTDB

Spoiler!

LRT Station Refurbishments and 4 Car Capacity Extensions

Rundle is currently under construction (started in January). Will close over the May long weekend.

Marlborough is listed as starting mid-March, so could be any day now. Closes August long weekend.

Franklin will start mid- April. Closes September long weekend.

On the NE line, that leaves Barlow-Max Bell, Zoo and Bridgeland Stations, which will likely see similar staggered scheduling to the above three, but during 2014.

On the South line, Anderson is listed as starting in June of this year and Victoria Park Stampede Station to start in the fall of this year. This leaves 39th Avenue Station for a 2014 start. Chinook is obviously currently underway to open in the fall of this year.

On the NW line, Lion's Park and University stations are listed as starting in fall 2013. That leaves SAIT and Banff Trail for 2014.
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1584
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Even the airport has over 14,000 employees working onsite right now, and we're always hearing how only the employees would use an airport spur. Which is, imo, total BS, plenty of the 12 million+ passengers every year would take the train if it was available.

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/careers/cal...vironment.aspx

So, in conclusion, the priority should be something like 8th Avenue subway, NC LRT, airport spur, and then SE LRT.
12 million passengers a year so I think a very conservative estimate would be 6 million a year that might take the train showing about 16000 a day.
The two other lines get 260000 a day between them or slightly less than ten times the ridership on each line that might go to the airport. I can't imagine that 50% of people will take the train to the airport if it is available. On top of that, is your 12 million number based on flights that start or stop in Calgary or does it also include the people who transfer through Calgary without ever leaving the airport?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #1585
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
12 million passengers a year so I think a very conservative estimate would be 6 million a year that might take the train showing about 16000 a day.
The two other lines get 260000 a day between them or slightly less than ten times the ridership on each line that might go to the airport. I can't imagine that 50% of people will take the train to the airport if it is available. On top of that, is your 12 million number based on flights that start or stop in Calgary or does it also include the people who transfer through Calgary without ever leaving the airport?
I provided a source for the number, it doesn't include transfers.

Also, I wasn't saying it would be better than the existing lines, just that it would be better than the SE line. Since the existing lines are already built, it only makes sense to compare current new projects. Really, the fact the existing lines have such high ridership supports my contention that the 8th avenue subway should be first.

Also, you're comparing the ridership of an entire line to the ridership potential from one stop. It makes more sense to compare the ridership from an airport stop to the ridership from a Quarry Park or Seton stop, which was what I did above.

edited to add: Sorry, my link above was for the number of people working at the airport, passenger stats are here: http://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/facts...tatistics.aspx

Last edited by bizaro86; 03-19-2013 at 01:58 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #1586
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Also, you're comparing the ridership of an entire line to the ridership potential from one stop. It makes more sense to compare the ridership from an airport stop to the ridership from a Quarry Park or Seton stop, which was what I did above.
To be fair, you are proposing an entire line be built for the sake of "one stop." So yes, to compare other lines to the cost of this line is fair. The fact that it really only has the one stop is why it may not be such a good idea.

Or to flip it around; let's say the SE line gets built but only has one stop; McKenzie Towne. How do you think that new SE LRT line will compare to the ridership of an Airport LRT? It will get a tonne of ridership due to it being such an express service.

The bottom line is the airport run while being cool isn't as practical as a SE run. The debate as to which should come first; SE LRT or subway is a fair debate- there are great points on both sides of that coin.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #1587
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I've always expected that a future branch off of the NE line to the airport terminal would have at least one stop in between. I don't think it makes sense to spend all that money and not build a station at Jacksonport retail. This station would be in the median of Airport Trail, between 36th Street and Metis Trail.

If the line one day continued as a connection to the NC line on Harvest Hills Blvd, there would be a stop to serve Aurora Business park and a high speed rail station. Depending on how development happens, one might be able to make a case for an additional station on either side of the airport.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #1588
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
To be fair, you are proposing an entire line be built for the sake of "one stop." So yes, to compare other lines to the cost of this line is fair. The fact that it really only has the one stop is why it may not be such a good idea.

Or to flip it around; let's say the SE line gets built but only has one stop; McKenzie Towne. How do you think that new SE LRT line will compare to the ridership of an Airport LRT? It will get a tonne of ridership due to it being such an express service.

The bottom line is the airport run while being cool isn't as practical as a SE run. The debate as to which should come first; SE LRT or subway is a fair debate- there are great points on both sides of that coin.
A spur off an existing line to the airport isn't comparable in cost or scope to an entire new line from downtown to the edge of the city. I certainly wasn't suggesting an express line from the airport to downtown, which would certainly be a boondoggle, but rather a spur off of the existing NE line or the new NC line.

Calgary transit's route ahead estimated a airport spur would cost 175MM$ and generate 3.5 MM trips per year, or $50 per annual trip.

Route ahead also estimates a bus-only transitway to Douglas Glen/Quarry Park would cost 667MM$ and generate 4.6 MM trips pers year, or $145 per annual trip.

Replacing that bus only transitway with LRT is estimated to cost 1,650 MM$, and generate 10.5 MM annual trips, or $157 per annual trip.

So I submit that an airport spur is more practical than a SE line, and should be built first.

Stats from document P. 130-131 and 143 of the following: http://www.routeahead.ca/wp-content/...yAheadWeb2.pdf
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #1589
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

It's not a line, it's a spur. It costs $200M compared to $2B for the SE LRT. RouteAhead estimates ridership at 3.5M anually for the airport spur, vs 22M for SE. So on a $/rider basis, the Airport Spur is ahead.

Compairing a one-stop SE LRT to the airport spur is an obviously flawed comparison, as the airport spur would be much cheaper.

Edit: What bizaro86 said.

Last edited by SebC; 03-19-2013 at 06:29 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #1590
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Marlborough is listed as starting mid-March, so could be any day now. Closes August long weekend.
This week I noticed the train has started to slow down around Marlborough, I hopped off at the station today and they are beginning to construct the fence.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #1591
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary to file bus barn funding request

PPP Canada rejected previous application

CBC News

Posted: Mar 13, 2013 10:52 AM MT

Last Updated: Mar 13, 2013 11:24 AM MT

Calgary wants several million dollars from the federal government to help build a new transit garage that will accomodate 400 transit buses.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi says the city's infrastructure application to PPP Canada for for a public-private partnership will go in later this month.

[...]

If the application is rejected, the city will have to come up with a new funding model for the project.

Nenshi says it will be difficult to predict a cost estimate for the project until the funding model is determined.

PPP Canada previously encouraged the city to apply for $100 million for new recreation centres in 2011 but then rejected the application.

[...]
Link to the rest of the article

This is for a transit facility in Stoney Trail/Deerfoot Trail NE area.
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1592
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If bus barns are listed on PPP Canada's website as an eligible project, I suggest Nenshi take a screenshot if he has not done so already.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1593
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Panicked for a sec when I saw Stoney Trail, breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Deerfoot Trail NE.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #1594
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If bus barns are listed on PPP Canada's website as an eligible project, I suggest Nenshi take a screenshot if he has not done so already.
We took screenshots of the rec centre eligibility on PPP Canada's website before they took it down mid-press conference.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #1595
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
We took screenshots of the rec centre eligibility on PPP Canada's website before they took it down mid-press conference.
It's kind of surprising to me that you had the foresight to pre-empt that move (considering how ridiculous it was), but good work!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #1596
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone want a backstage pass?

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/backstage_2013.html

Quote:
Register today to get a backstage pass to the Calgary Transit Anderson Garage on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21, 2013.

Get a behind the scenes look at what Calgary Transit employees do on a daily basis to keep your CTrains on the rails and your buses on the road!

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1597
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of the new natural gas buses out on the road this afternoon

A new natural gas bus out on the street in Calgary
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #1598
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Encana stock price will go up in CT switches to a nat gas fleet.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1599
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It's kind of surprising to me that you had the foresight to pre-empt that move (considering how ridiculous it was), but good work!
It was to use in a supporting powerpoint. In the end, the Mayor went to the live site during his presentation. Just after, we realized they had taken it down literally during the 20 minutes he was speaking. Truly strange.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #1600
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
The city’s Community and Protective Services committee Wednesday will consider whether $8.4-million in public art funding for the city’s West LRT should be leveraged to incorporate some of the original Centre St. Bridge lions as decor on the train line.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/31...e-west-lrt-art

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings