Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #3641
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Name checks out
I won't go to rehab, but you can definitely lock me up in a place with a safe supply of sweet white powder...to ski.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #3642
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Could we benefit from more safe consumption sites?
I'm more and more convinced that anything you try do on this front is an exercise in "what is least bad". Forcibly putting people in treatment is bad, the impacts on communities around safe consumption sites is bad, throwing people's tents and belongings in a dumpster is bad, leaving the tents and having people get physically and sexually assaulted is bad.

Any one of the individuals in these situations we're trying to fix needed to be helped decades ago. It truly seems it's just too late by the time we get to the guy shooting up on the train platform, and our social services intervening to keep kids from ending up in these tragic circumstances need to be stepped up big time.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #3643
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'm actually quite surprised to read these stories. We did a family trip downtown a few weekends ago and took the train from Anderson and didn't run into any issues at all.
It's truly hit or miss. Depending on the day / time, as well as your threshold for proximity to vagrants. I havent had any issues, but have noticed more homeless, mental-health issues, on the trains. I havent seen any drug use.

I also live and work downtown. I walk by Chimur every single day and have seen drug users on the street. Im probably more used to it than someone living outside the core

The trains have certainly less ridership; not unlike any other major center during the pandemic.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #3644
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed the news about it and I recalled the discussion before the pandemic about crime statistics in the areas with the (new) C-train stations. How even before the pandemic they were basically all up at substantially higher pace than the city average after getting the stations.

Sounds like it's only gotten worse with the pandemic.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #3645
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

You can text 74100 if you're being threatened or see bad behaviour, it's an emergency text line without hitting the actual emergency button.

The stations and trains could be cleaner I agree. I don't think it's a well run operation. I see that cleaning company around but not that frequently, I've picked up garbage myself. Same with snow removal, many platforms don't get cleaned off well past the morning rush.

You can also report issues to 311 from the CT site.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #3646
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Could we benefit from more safe consumption sites?
Or y'know, have a system that gives real punishments to dealers / other committed crimes...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #3647
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Or y'know, have a system that gives real punishments to dealers / other committed crimes...
A.K.A. America. How well has it worked there?
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #3648
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Depends, all of America is not doing the same thing.

I've posted this a few times, but there is clearly a difference between what Seattle, Washington is doing and what Rhode Island is doing... and Washington is closer to what our approach would be if we went all-in on what amounts to "indifference disguised as compassion".

There needs to be some kind of multi-faceted approach that deals with the problem more effectively. From what I can tell, downtown has gotten worse despite the safe injection site. You can't tell me more of that is going to make things better without adding something else to the mix.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #3649
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
As TorqueDog mentions, the US is a hodgepodge of laws, policing standards and prosecutors. If you want a Western-style democracy that is utterly ruthless against drug usage, dealing and smuggling, look to Singapore.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #3650
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Singapore is a democracy in the same style as Russia, so I'd prefer a less authoritarian approach to social order even if it has some downsides.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #3651
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Singapore is a democracy in the same style as Russia, so I'd prefer a less authoritarian approach to social order even if it has some downsides.
Is it education? How about Tokyo's public obedience? People are just taught to not litter and not be sketchy. I'm sure it exists in the shadows but 20+ million people who follow the rules.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #3652
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who commute, use transit, or have school aged kids who do (post secondary students notwithstanding), Calgary Transit is offering 50% off monthly adult passes and 30% off student passes for August and September.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/conte...rDiscount.html
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #3653
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I won't go to rehab, but you can definitely lock me up in a place with a safe supply of sweet white powder...to ski.
Jesus Christ man, you want an entire MOUNTAIN of cocaine?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #3654
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Please.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #3655
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
For those who commute, use transit, or have school aged kids who do (post secondary students notwithstanding), Calgary Transit is offering 50% off monthly adult passes and 30% off student passes for August and September.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/conte...rDiscount.html
I mean, that's good I guess, but I don't think the reason people aren't coming back to transit is monetary. If the average person doesn't feel safe using the system, I doubt $50 moves the needle on that.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #3656
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I mean, that's good I guess, but I don't think the reason people aren't coming back to transit is monetary. If the average person doesn't feel safe using the system, I doubt $50 moves the needle on that.
It's making me consider it...
Old 07-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #3657
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Maybe not directly. But getting more people back onto trains and platforms will improve safety. Even if someone turns down the savings this time around, the next time they see the platform a bit busier with commuters who did take the offer, they will be more inclined to take the train again.

Getting the system back to "normal" will take years, but they have to start somewhere. This is probably more effective than wasting millions on turnstiles, although I would welcome an increased, visible security presence on trains and platforms, especially in the short term.

But that's not even talking about how working from home, even partially, will continue to impact ridership for a long, long time.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #3658
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Maybe not directly. But getting more people back onto trains and platforms will improve safety. Even if someone turns down the savings this time around, the next time they see the platform a bit busier with commuters who did take the offer, they will be more inclined to take the train again.

Getting the system back to "normal" will take years, but they have to start somewhere. This is probably more effective than wasting millions on turnstiles, although I would welcome an increased, visible security presence on trains and platforms, especially in the short term.

But that's not even talking about how working from home, even partially, will continue to impact ridership for a long, long time.
Absolutely true on both accounts. As ridership rises it should make people feel safer. Problem is with continued WFH there might be a ceiling on transit numbers. And people will be less likely to buy a monthly pass if they are commuting fewer days. This is problem all cities are going to face. Maybe the solution is to lower the price of a month pass to make it worthwhile for part time commuters. I also feel the federal and provincial governments are going to have to step up to the plate and help cities maintain service levels as their ridership revenues decline otherwise we face a downward spiral in service.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:52 PM   #3659
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What isn’t the solution is Turnstiles
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #3660
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What isn’t the solution is Turnstiles
Yeah...we should go full-on 'Hostile Architecture.'

No places to sit, lay down, sleep etc.

Meth-activated mini-guns, the whole 9 yards. If we're going to lean into this then lets lean-in hard!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings