Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Question If Tanev isn't back for Wednesday, and other questions..

What D-configuration do you run with if you're Sutter? Do you go back to 11-7 and bring Mackey into the fold to reduce the load of minutes again?

Despite not having to defend frequently, the boys did look to be running around a tad bit more in their end last night without the usual pairings and CT's poise back there.

Also looking at the forward groups, seeing Jarkrok's struggles in the dot, do you make a change there? Would you have Rosy draw in vs the Oilers?

Discuss.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-16-2022 at 01:40 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you keep the 12-6 formation we had last game with the same guys dressed unless he wants to throw Ruzicka in for Ritchie.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
Highbury
Draft Pick

Roll 4 lines and begin the process of steadily breaking down the Oilers defensive zone coverage.

Mackey could be tapped at some point to come in, but I wouldn't start him off in a Game 1 of the BOA. That's a big ask for a young D-man with only a few NHL games under his belt this year.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the D core played well, and it was mostly backchecking forwards missing their assignments that led to the 2 goals against.

Big G and Big Z stepped up bigtime last night! Was so amazing to see them play at such a high level in the most important game of the year.

I would stick with the same lineup they had last night, unless Tanev is ready to return. If he is, then maybe you go with 11-7.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know that Sutter doesn't see Ruzicka as a 4th line type, but I'd really like to see him draw in here, even if it's with Lewis and Lucic.

He was a part of their best stretch of the season in February and has some skill to offer. And I think it's a more feasible idea vs Edmonton than it was with Dallas.

I do think the offense will come easier vs the Oilers, but we could use a different look down there since the bottom 6 didn't threaten much offensively in the back half of the series I thought.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #6
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same here - I'd like to see Jarnkrok on the wing somewhere too / have him continue to take faceoffs, just to break his curse or something. Ruzicka stepping in would be awesome
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
Roll 4 lines and begin the process of steadily breaking down the Oilers defensive zone coverage.

Mackey could be tapped at some point to come in, but I wouldn't start him off in a Game 1 of the BOA. That's a big ask for a young D-man with only a few NHL games under his belt this year.
That's why I was thinking of the 11-7 format again.

It is allegedly harder to coach against, and it spreads out the minutes more, and would allow for you to shelter Mackey if he did draw in.

Worth contemplating. I too wouldn't have him there in game 1. But depending on how it goes, maybe in game 2 (If Tanev isn't back by then).
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #8
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Depends upon the level of fatigue on the defence corps. Guys will be tired from last night filling in for Tanev and Kylington. Zadorov is not used to above 20 minutes a night and Sutter is cognizant of people over playing and making mistakes. If Tanev can’t go then I still go 11-7 to make sure to manage minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadarov in the playoffs is the KGBeast! Difference maker.

Gudbradson didn't seem to hit as much, although he smoked Faksa out of the game. I think he might be a bit injured.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
Wish They Could Win
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that it really depends on the injury status of a few guys. If Kylington is injured you maybe do 11-7 so you have the spare D man in case he goes down during the game.
Wish They Could Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:49 PM   #11
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe Jarnkrok played LW most often prior to arriving in Calgary. Maybe (since Sutter doesn't see Ruzicka as a grinder type) try a third line of

Jarnkrok - Ruzicka - Coleman

With Dube going beast mode with Lewis and Looch.

or Dube - Ruzicka - Coleman

While I don't think Jarnkrok has been bad by any means, I'd say even had a couple of pretty good games in the series, he is still terribly snakebitten rn and he hasn't found notable chemistry with any particular player. I think Yarnie has to be moved around until he finds that.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

any word on what the injury is?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #13
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
any word on what the injury is?
To keep him from playing? prob broken or cracked ribs.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Zadarov in the playoffs is the KGBeast! Difference maker.

Gudbradson didn't seem to hit as much, although he smoked Faksa out of the game. I think he might be a bit injured.
Dude, KGBeast is an AMAZING nickname.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #15
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dude, KGBeast is an AMAZING nickname.
.... I stole it from a Batman comic.

But man this is the type of D-man we NEED in the playoffs. Pay the beast!
Old 05-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #16
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I thought the D core played well, and it was mostly backchecking forwards missing their assignments that led to the 2 goals against.

Big G and Big Z stepped up bigtime last night! Was so amazing to see them play at such a high level in the most important game of the year.

I would stick with the same lineup they had last night, unless Tanev is ready to return. If he is, then maybe you go with 11-7.
Oh yeah, I want to mention that Zadorov was fantastic in last nights game, made all the more impressive that it was in a game 7. Was all over the ice, threw some big hits, made some good gambles offensively, back checked well, and most importantly was disciplined out there.

Will be overshadowed by other performances, but I'd say his best game as a Flame.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #17
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been googling around but I'm not finding anything. Not surprising this time of year. Is there any news or speculation out there on what the injury is and how long Tanev may be lost for?
It would sure be nice to have his steady presence on the back end for this series!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #18
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same lineup as last night.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #19
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I really doubt Sutter would throw Mackey into a playoff situation like the BOA without having no other options. That would require one more injury to force someone out...which Kylington may very well have, but if he can go they will be 12-6.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Ruzicka drawing in against Edmonton more so than against Dallas. He should have a little more room to operate.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote