Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 11:43 AM   #1221
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane taking the 3 year deal after what is most likely a career high in goals for him was a massive blessing in disguise for the Flames who were vulnerable and reeling from the Gaudreau and Tkachuk situations.

Personally I hope the Flames do not rush to give Sharongovich a long term deal this summer and make him do it again next year and either sign or trade him by the deadline.

I agree with those who say it is time for the Flames and Mangiapane to go their separate ways. With Huberdeau, Coleman, Zary, and Coronato taking up 4 of the 6 top 9 winger spots and guys like Pelletier, Sharongovich and Pospisil likely vying for other spots I don’t really see a fit here short or long term for Mangi
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:23 PM   #1222
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other simple thing with Mangipane is that he probably knows the Flames aren't in a spot to commit to a longer term contract with him even if he does play better next season. If I was him I'd rather get to a team that might have interest in a longer contract.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #1223
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Mangiapane is quite bad this year, and might want to button up on any demands. It’s laughable he’d take that position and I’m at the point where I’m not even sure he’s an NHLer?

Like is he better than all those kids we are bringing up? Maybe, I guess likely more talented, we’ll likely never know though because he doesn’t try and has a very low work ethic. For that alone I’d sit him a few personally.

Like watch him next game- he really is awful. So I have no idea why he’d blame anyone but himself and if he wants out good riddance. Addition by subtracting him.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:40 PM   #1224
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's not top 6 on this team, he's not top 6. Funny when mid guys start making demands about their deployment and the state of the team.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #1225
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol Mang sure hasn't played like he wants top 6 minutes, and that's all that needs to be said.

Time for Craig to move on from him imo, we need the roster spot anyway.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:45 PM   #1226
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's useful in the bottom 6, but if he's looking for more than that, he should probably look elsewhere. I wouldn't mind if the team signed him to a long-term contract at a very team-friendly cap hit (max 3M/yr, based on his most recent performance and how that is trending), but more than that would exceed his value to the team. So it's probably in the best interests of everyone involved to move him some time between the draft and next season's trade deadline.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:51 PM   #1227
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
If he's not top 6 on this team, he's not top 6. Funny when mid guys start making demands about their deployment and the state of the team.
False assumption, false conclusion.

Mangiapane is definitely top 6 on this team.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:01 PM   #1228
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
False assumption, false conclusion.

Mangiapane is definitely top 6 on this team.

No he isnt...

He sucks. Yegor, Kuzmenko, Zary, Coleman, Pospisil are all better then him
konradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:20 PM   #1229
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You will have to take my word on it. He isn't happy with the season, the direction of the team, but mostly the way he has been deployed on the 3rd line. He is looking for a change of scenery. I am not sure if anybody else in the media has gotten the same info.
Yeah if I recall at the beginning of last season there was some talk of him playing on the top line and then he got shuffled down. After that he just didn't really give a whole lot of effort... I'm glad the team is trying to move away from players like that.

We don't see it in the game but I think when certain players don't give an effort it really affects the outcome. You got a player that could score but he just kind of shoots it at the goal or shoots it wide. The Flames have struggled with players like this for a while. Even Matt T had a season where he kind of mailed it in. It does affect the outcome of the season when you got players like that.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:23 PM   #1230
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konradical View Post
No he isnt...

He sucks. Yegor, Kuzmenko, Zary, Coleman, Pospisil are all better then him
Mangiapane: 35 even-strength points
Sharangovich: 34
Zary: 26
Pospisil: 17
Kuzmenko: 5 since the trade (18 games)

Mangiapane's role has changed. He's being called on more for defensive play, and offensively his principal job this season is to set up Coleman. But his even-strength production puts him close to the top end of second-line players league-wide. He puts up those numbers despite being 7th among forwards in ice time.

If Mangiapane is not a top-6 forward on this team, neither is Coleman.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:47 PM   #1231
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Mangiapane: 35 even-strength points
Sharangovich: 34
Zary: 26
Pospisil: 17
Kuzmenko: 5 since the trade (18 games)
Which is even more impressive when you look at his offensive zone start percentage when compared to those guys...

Mangiapane: 43.9%
Sharangovich: 61.0%
Zary: 62.4%
Kuzmenko: 66.5%
Pospisil: 61.5%

... I mean I do want him traded but that has more to do with wanting to get more NHL reps for up-and-coming players like Pelletier and his contract status (only 1 year after this one).

Last edited by Parallex; 03-28-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:50 PM   #1232
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

AM is streaky but a solid player.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:54 PM   #1233
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a lot of times where Mangiapane just seems really unlucky. I don't have an issue with him in general. He is an average middle-six player, but if he is being pouty about his role and the direction of the team, he is definitely expendable.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #1234
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There are a lot of times where Mangiapane just seems really unlucky. I don't have an issue with him in general. He is an average middle-six player, but if he is being pouty about his role and the direction of the team, he is definitely expendable.
To me he works hard enough, pushes the puck up ice well, is decent defensively, he's plenty aggressive on the forecheck. He hasn't finished well for a while and loses more battles than he wins. And the "falls down a lot" isn't just a myth. Once you think about it it's hard to not see it all the time, and it does affect his play.

I do think it's funny that people are so happy he's not signed long term because I'd bet at the time, many of them were unhappy, and those same people are probably wanting to lock up, say, Zary or Sharangovich for 8 years after a good season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 PM   #1235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a player looks unlucky for one season maybe it's just an off year. When a player looks unlucky in back to back seasons it points towards a lack of finish. He's a good middle six player that with a change of scenery may be able to have a good season or two on a 2nd line but on the Flames roster he is what he is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 07:54 PM   #1236
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I do think it's funny that people are so happy he's not signed long term because I'd bet at the time, many of them were unhappy, and those same people are probably wanting to lock up, say, Zary or Sharangovich for 8 years after a good season.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it went. I recall a lot of "**** his contract came up at the worst possible time and we overpaid".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:58 PM   #1237
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, GioforPM, was I ever wrong. Looked back at the thread and this was just the first page or so, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Wish it was a 5 year deal around that AAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Damn.

Was hoping for a long-term deal.

But still likely another contract Mangiapane will out-perform
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Wish it was longer

That's what she said
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Wish the term was longer, but this makes me happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm happy with 5.8, woulda likey a few more years though
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Damn, I'm disappointed it's only 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Good cap hit, but would have hoped that could have got a couple more years, like 5.8x5.
Still, this helps the window of the next two seasons open and a chance to sign him up once they open the next window
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 PM   #1238
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wow, GioforPM, was I ever wrong. Looked back at the thread and this was just the first page or so, haha.
Frankly it was recall, but I know posters here complain any time a young guy isn’t signed for the max.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:25 PM   #1239
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still have zero issues with the contract.

Definitely hasn't outperformed it, but still an excellent middle-6 player that performs excellently 5v5. Also still wouldn't be a bad contract if it had another 1-2 years on it.

I want him traded for the same reason as Parallex, but Mangiapane is a great, under-appreciated player on these boards.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 10:21 PM   #1240
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think that guy is Miromanov.

As for who they bring in... if I had my pick of guys of that ilk... I'm kind of partial to Brodie. Shoots left, knows a few guys here already, familiar with the city and facility already, has a bit of nostalgic fondness (I think) from the fans.
I watch a lot of Leafs games and 7sed to be a big fan of Brodie when he was a Flame and felt he was underrated at that time, but his game has gone down quite a bit since joining Toronto.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good