Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't know if Lindholm is capable of being the shut down centre. I do know Janko can't. I don't think we can't trade him unless Janko really steps it up. I don't see Backlund living his contract out as a Flame tho.
Oh good, we get to turn this into a Jankowski thread.

Jankowski put up numbers similar to Jimmy Vesey's first year as a Ranger, and he did it as a centre. He spent four years in college developing his defensive game at centre. He's 6 ft 4 225 lbs, with no physical limitations and smarts. Why Earth would he be unable to develop into a shutdown centre.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

No.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Based on what? He was extremely average last year and playoff teams don't have 25 point players centering their 2nd line.
Jankowski did pretty well the one game he was given with Gaudreau and Ferland. It's amazing how well he could do if he isn't saddled with Sam Giveaway Bennett and given the chance with talented players.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #24
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't know if Lindholm is capable of being the shut down centre. I do know Janko can't. I don't think we can't trade him unless Janko really steps it up. I don't see Backlund living his contract out as a Flame tho.
Jankowski definitely can be a shutdown center. But it is Backlund's role to lose.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #25
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

With Monahan, Backlund and Jankowski -- I suspect we'll see Lindholm on RW. Will still take faceoffs, though.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #26
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally Backlund is the third line C. The Flames need a dangerous second line ES and PP to take the opponents best checkers off solely SM and JG. That was not the second line, and the last two months of the season, him and Frolik were very quiet.

It’s got some pieces to fill in to get there on the second line. Hopefully that becomes clearer in the next week or so.

However, is he paid too much to be a 3rd line C now?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:36 AM   #27
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, chill out guys. I didn't say Janko can't become a shutdown center I said as of today he isn't one. That's also why I said I don't see Backlund finishing his contract here. As I do see him becoming expendable one day with Jankos development.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #28
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What two pieces? All I see is a need for another scoring RW. I also think Jankowski will be ready to be our number 2 centre though
Backlund and Frolik should be on the 3rd line.

Jankowski is not ready for a 2nd line role, I would think he might be the 4th line center with Nick Shore.

Bennett is a more of 3rd line forward at this point.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Based on what? He was extremely average last year and playoff teams don't have 25 point players centering their 2nd line.
His tool set is superior to Backlund’s. Jankowski has better offensive instincts, is a way better passer, anticipates the play better, and uses his line mates better. All that is missing with Jankowski is some experience and a good finisher. I still contend the best player to put with Jankowski is Tkachuk. I would be really excited for the team moving forward if they could sign another winger in free agency, one that is a proven scorer. I think James Neal is the best option. I would then roll:

Neal-Monahan-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

Profit.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #30
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Terrible idea is terrible.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Leave 3M alone, unless it's to substitute Lindholm for Frolik in the event that Brad gets an actual first line RW.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #32
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No. Leave 3M alone, unless it's to substitute Lindholm for Frolik in the event that Brad gets an actual first line RW.
The same 3M line that was pretty crappy last season? Get Tkachuk off that line so he can play offensively rather than being anchored by two defensive players.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post: