Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Anybody else notice increased photo radar in Calgary??

I have been living in Calgary my entire life and I have seen a huge increase in photo radar enforcement on the streets. Some of the new SUV's and trucks don't have the lights and the flash on the top of the roof anymore, they are on the front of the vehicle where is is not as noticeable.

On one of my regular drives into the Beltline off Bow Trail where you take 10th Ave ,turn right and than left onto 12th Avenue the speed limit is 30 km/h with a 50 km/h sign about 50 meters up. There is literally a photo radar vehicle there every single day and every time I drive by now. It's a tricky spot because your in between speed zones.

I follow the rules for the most part but with the amount of enforcement out there, it seems the city is very hungry for revenue.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, if the city wants money, I'd rather they take it from those who voluntarily choose to speed rather than forcing everyone to pay more taxes.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it amusing to picture Spenshi sitting on his purple throne looking down on the chief of police and telling him he better set up some more photo radar traps because the city needs cash.

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-22-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There is no such thing as "in between" speed zones. The 50 zone doesn't start till the sign.

I have no problem with photos radar it only affect people who are A. Speeding and B. Not paying enough attention to spot the photo radar truck.

Even with taking the flash to the front, they aren't that hard to pick out...
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
There is no such thing as "in between" speed zones. The 50 zone doesn't start till the sign.

I have no problem with photos radar it only affect people who are A. Speeding and B. Not paying enough attention to spot the photo radar truck.

Even with taking the flash to the front, they aren't that hard to pick out...
I'm assuming it's 30 for a playground zone. I should go right back to 50 after the "End Playground Zone" sign, even if it's before the 50 sign.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe, I'm not familiar with the specific place the op is talking about.

In the situation you refer to, you are correct assuming the speed limit prior to the school zone was 50, it would revert to 50 again at the end playground zone sign.

Last edited by gasman; 06-22-2018 at 07:01 AM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
I'm assuming it's 30 for a playground zone. I should go right back to 50 after the "End Playground Zone" sign, even if it's before the 50 sign.
... yes.

Come on everyone we know how speed limits work in the city right!?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see more of it on Glenmore right now around the Blackfoot/deerfoot area. I'm tired if trying to drive close to the 50km/hr construction speed limit and having every person behind me riding my ass and speeding past me and giving me the finger like I'm the jerk. Let these dummies start getting some double tickets.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Since they went and combined school zones in to playground zones anyhow, I would like to see them near the school zones during the hours when kids are actually going to and from school. Actually, never mind the greasy creep in the weeds approach of sitting and taking a picture and sending it to you, but an actual officer standing outside the car and ticketing. But it’s not really primarily about safety, it’s primarily about the cash.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i hear what you are saying about this stretch, but, from what i have seen they are not working much during the week days. i also think it would be a bit of a tough spot to put a vehicle - although, i guess you could park right along side the new median.

i should also note that the unoffical speed limit along this stretch does seem to be 100. for a while there used to be photo radar parked on east bound glenmore in the area with the underpasses by chinook. have not seen one there lately.

i would say that generally speaking, i have not noticed more photo radar vehicle though.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Meh, if the city wants money, I'd rather they take it from those who voluntarily choose to speed rather than forcing everyone to pay more taxes.
I'm the same way. Plain and simple, it's an idiot tax. If you get caught speeding, it's 100% your own fault. I easily blame the 'victim'.

My favourite argument against photo radar has got to be ''Photo radar doesn't make the roads safer. At least if they pull me over, then they can tell me what I did wrong and I learn from it!''. LOL such BS. I got a photo radar earlier this year and it was 100% my own fault. I don't need someone to pull me over to teach me a lesson.

As far as I'm concerned, let the city bring in more radar and keep catching the same people over and over again.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they should have to report each year about how areas targeted for enforcement led to reduced accident rates. If photo radar doesn't reduce accidents or consequences of accidents then it's useless.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, there are clearly spots in the city they set it up just to get tickets. Like the 80km -110km westbound out of the city on the TCH. The only logical "safety" reason for that might be vehicles merging in from Valley Ridge. That's mostly from bad road design though, given it is an uphill the merge lane should continue all the way up the hill.

The whole section is built to freeway standards and an 80km speed limit there is ridiculous. I've driven through French villages with windy 2 lane roads where the speed limit is 90. Just more incompetence form the roads dept.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

If some of you guys actually think an increase in speeding tickets are going to lower your taxes, I think you will be very disappointed.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Photo radar is a cash grab plain and simple. Drivers are going to speed and the city found way to cash in. Good for them. my issue is that they're justifying it saying its a safety measure to "catch' or deter more speeders on the roads. If it was an issue of safety then the police would be sitting with radar guns and issuing tickets that give demerits on your licence.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, there are clearly spots in the city they set it up just to get tickets. Like the 80km -110km westbound out of the city on the TCH. The only logical "safety" reason for that might be vehicles merging in from Valley Ridge. That's mostly from bad road design though, given it is an uphill the merge lane should continue all the way up the hill.

The whole section is built to freeway standards and an 80km speed limit there is ridiculous. I've driven through French villages with windy 2 lane roads where the speed limit is 90. Just more incompetence form the roads dept.
I agree with everything you wrote, but the roads dept doesn't set speed limits, they just put the signs where they're told
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Since they went and combined school zones in to playground zones anyhow, I would like to see them near the school zones during the hours when kids are actually going to and from school. Actually, never mind the greasy creep in the weeds approach of sitting and taking a picture and sending it to you, but an actual officer standing outside the car and ticketing. But it’s not really primarily about safety, it’s primarily about the cash.
agreed police set up by a park that I am sure more people speed through however way less kid traffic rather than the school two blocks away that people also speed through and has a lot more kid traffic since the park is way better.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Photo radar is a cash grab plain and simple. Drivers are going to speed and the city found way to cash in. Good for them. my issue is that they're justifying it saying its a safety measure to "catch' or deter more speeders on the roads. If it was an issue of safety then the police would be sitting with radar guns and issuing tickets that give demerits on your licence.
The only reason I don’t speed is because I can’t afford the ticket. How I get it or demerits are irrelevant.

Also with Photo radar you can probably get 10-15 cars in a 10 minute span, which is how long it takes to pull 1 car over and write a ticket.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I agree with everything you wrote, but the roads dept doesn't set speed limits, they just put the signs where they're told
Fair enough. Stupid road designer engineer dept can have the blame on that one.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm going 68 in a 50, fine, I messed up. Either I didn't see the sign or wasn't paying attention to my speed. Ticket completely warranted.

When I get a ticket for going 41 in a 30, I'm pretty annoyed. That doesn't have anything to do with public safety. It's just a cynical money grab, and that harms the relationship between the police and the public.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: