Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #521
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Good that's all I can say.

These people are dangerous, they are literally the worst of the untrained charlatan taking advantage of people with promises of miracle cures.

With Stephens he can cry about conspiracies by the government and big pharma, but at the end of the day, he and his wife murdered their kid. The weapon they used was a combination of ignorance and arrogance, but it might as well have been a pistol.

What really gets me mad about this guy, was at the time he was running a hukster store and selling products that were advertised as miracle cures for people with serious mental health problems like bipolar disorders. That to me is the top of the irresponsibility ladder.

And this lady going back on trial infected a person having breathing problems with magnesium? They should have found her guilty just for that.

Can we please add a sentence of "Just flush this turd" to the justice system.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #522
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Good that's all I can say.

These people are dangerous, they are literally the worst of the untrained charlatan taking advantage of people with promises of miracle cures.

With Stephens he can cry about conspiracies by the government and big pharma, but at the end of the day, he and his wife murdered their kid. The weapon they used was a combination of ignorance and arrogance, but it might as well have been a pistol.

What really gets me mad about this guy, was at the time he was running a hukster store and selling products that were advertised as miracle cures for people with serious mental health problems like bipolar disorders. That to me is the top of the irresponsibility ladder.

And this lady going back on trial infected a person having breathing problems with magnesium? They should have found her guilty just for that.
Can we please add a sentence of "Just flush this turd" to the justice system.
They did find her guilty of involuntary manslaughter. The appeal court overturned the not guilty verdict and found her guilty. She is being sent back on trial for Criminal Negligence.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #523
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When it comes to these "Health" products, its a vast market of complete suckers

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hot-dog...7-99-a-bottle/

Quote:
The phrase "there's a sucker born every minute" comes to mind upon hearing about one food vendor pitching an unusual product at the annual Car Free Day festival in Vancouver, British Columbia.

The tent selling unfiltered "Hot Dog Water" -- literally a bottle of water with a wiener floating inside -- for $37.99 a pop included some promising, if not dubious, claims. Such as helping consumers not only lose weight but also increase brain function, look younger and improve overall vitality.

Quote:
Sales of the water were brisk at the Sunday festival, according to Bevans, whose booth also offered accessories, such as Hot Dog Water lip balm and Hot Dog Water breath spray.

But what were consumers really being offered? A lesson, for those bothering to read the fine print at the bottom of his sign, which suggested he was conducting a piece of performance art, of sorts: "Hot Dog Water in its absurdity hopes to encourage critical thinking related to product marketing and the significant role it can play in our purchasing choices," it read.

Making clear that not everyone has time much less the eyesight to read the small print, one fairgoer tweeted: "The booth that sells unfiltered hot dog water is hands down the strangest thing at Car-Free day, and I have no idea -- literally none -- as to whether it is real or an elaborate stunt."

By the way, plus marks for using the term Weiner Water

Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #524
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not surprised they found a solid market for overpriced Wiener juice in Vancouver.

Always found it hilarious that there was a chiropractor in Yaletown (near Davie street) for years who had a big window sign stating his chiropractery could treat everything from asthma, COPD, crohn's disease, menstrual cramps, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. The real clincher was that he also apparently had the simultaneous cure for too small breasts AND too large breasts, no joke.

Last edited by NuclearFart; 06-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #525
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They now live in Northern Alberta and are looking for some cash for their defence

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lars-1.4935791
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #526
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think these people are charlatans and morons and should have had their other kids taken away. However they are entitled to a vigorous defense, just not 4 million bucks worth.

The last judge went light on sentencing for these two clowns, and then the Husband tried to make money on his website reporting on another Trial and selling their garbage on line.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #527
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Awesome how they are using a legal technicality to claim they are justifiably innocent.

They didn’t read me my rights, so therefore I didn’t murder that boy!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #528
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think these people are charlatans and morons and should have had their other kids taken away. However they are entitled to a vigorous defense, just not 4 million bucks worth.

The last judge went light on sentencing for these two clowns, and then the Husband tried to make money on his website reporting on another Trial and selling their garbage on line.
They're entitled to whatever defence they can afford. Albertans should not be on the hook for their negligence. They are responsible for the death of their child. That has already been proven in the courts. They deserve nothing. People like this piss me off.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #529
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Day one of their retrial

https://calgarysun.com/news/provinci...box=1559678248

Quote:
Tracey Tannis, a naturopath in Lethbridge, told court that Collet Stephan had called her clinic and told an assistant she was concerned her son had viral meningitis.

Tannis said she told the assistant to advise the mother to take the child to emergency, even though the clinic sold an echinacea tincture to the mother days later.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #530
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 years no parole please!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #531
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really think that there has to be harsher more exacting regulations of Naturopaths and the stores out there that sell this stuff.

They have the tremendous ability to do a lot of harm. The Stephan's were selling cures for serious mental illnesses for example.

Its crazy that a lot of these mincing morons almost pass themselves off as doctors.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #532
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
more in depth CBC article from yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gins-1.5159643

I have to look up more about Terrie Shaw and her part in this.

The Crown also called Terrie Shaw as a witness. Shaw is a midwife and nurse who, in 2012, knew the Stephans and was helping Collet prepare for a home birth.
On March 12, 2012, Shaw said she received a call from Collet, telling her that Ezekiel had fallen asleep in the bath and was sick with a cough.
When she arrived at the home, Shaw said Ezekiel was sleeping but testified she noticed no outward signs of illness.
"He looked like he was calm and comfortable and sleeping peacefully," Shaw said under cross-examination. She even checked the toddler with her stethoscope and noted he was "breathing peacefully, easily."

I'm not excusing the couple, but it probably didn't help that two days before the death that this woman, who was a nurse, seemed to think the child was fine.

although "Shaw said she and Collet searched meningitis on the family's laptop and she advised the mother to seek a medical opinion given the concern for the boy."

what slays me is in addition to all the stupid remedies, they also discussed "having a priesthood blessing performed."
what the hell was that supposed to do for the kid?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #533
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
If that part about the mother calling and actually saying that she thought he had meningitis is true, that should be criminal negligence causing death at least, if not manslaughter and beyond.

I just can't even comprehend how you do not take your kid straight to emerg if you think he has something as serious as meningitis. That is just insane. I can't decide whether they should get locked up in prison or in an asylum.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should be made an example of so all the other parents who have bought into quackery think twice before following their lead. If they get off, it's going to embolden more parents to trust their witch doctor over medical science.

In short, they should be tossed in a vat of their own worthless cures.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #535
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate these smug idiots. The fact they got a retrial annoys me to no end.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #536
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I really think that there has to be harsher more exacting regulations of Naturopaths and the stores out there that sell this stuff.

They have the tremendous ability to do a lot of harm. The Stephan's were selling cures for serious mental illnesses for example.

Its crazy that a lot of these mincing morons almost pass themselves off as doctors.
Walmart sued for allegedly selling fake medicine

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...cine/23740872/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #537
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I hate these smug idiots. The fact they got a retrial annoys me to no end.
I'm with you on the view of the parents, but our justice system is setup this way for a reason. Don't make me re-post the fantastic summary from the Garland murder trial/re-retrial thread from the lawyer here...
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #538
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I'm with you on the view of the parents, but our justice system is setup this way for a reason. Don't make me re-post the fantastic summary from the Garland murder trial/re-retrial thread from the lawyer here...
I just don't agree they deserved a retrial based on a nurse looking at the kid for a couple minutes in their home. He was so stiff he couldn't go in a car seat when she drove him to a fake doctor.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #539
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm not excusing the couple, but it probably didn't help that two days before the death that this woman, who was a nurse, seemed to think the child was fine.

although "Shaw said she and Collet searched meningitis on the family's laptop and she advised the mother to seek a medical opinion given the concern for the boy."
The bolded are quite contradictory. Firstly, there is a pretty damn significant difference between nurses and doctors (not to denigrate nurses in anyway, it's a simple fact). Nurses are great at checking vital signs and many procedural skills. Diagnosis and treatment are a different kettle of fish...especially if you're examining a patient who is asleep (of course many specialized nurses are very strong within their areas of expertise, but that is because their patients already have a diagnosis...)

It is reasonable to question the competency of the nurse based on her association with the Stephans alone. It does not appear that the nurse was guilty of 'playing doctor' or offering unsound medical advice (at least based on these brief excerpts).

Patients in the emergency room can go from appearing fine at one moment to death's door in 15 minutes. The problem isn't that the Stephans didn't think the boy was ill. The problem was their persistent hubris in trying to manage his "care" for over 2 weeks before seeking legitimate medical attention.

A more accurate synospis:

NSFW!

The nurse was a minor-league rookie brought into a major-league ballgame in the 9th inning with her team already trailing by 10. Even if she had expressed great concern, does anyone have any confidence that the Stephan's would have listened?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #540
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
March 6, 2012: Ezekiel suffers a setback. He is “unusually lethargic,” lays in bed the entire day and his only response is to moan unhappily. He doesn’t eat or drink and is exhibiting unusual neurological symptoms.
If you don't take your kid to a doctor at this point, you have failed as a parent. End of story.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: