Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #81
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would trade Bennett for him. but not much else. Kulak and a 3rd. that's it.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #82
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How could anyone entertain trading Bennett? He has potential to be a breakout piece as our highest ever drafted player. You do not want to explore that option unless it's for MacKinnon
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #83
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Bennett is 2 years in and seems like he'll produce at least as much as Duchene... He has basically had a 20g 40p season and he has mostly been given 3rd line ice time. Plus he is way more physical. I think his upside is greater than Duchene.

Put in the wouldn't make that deal 1 for 1 camp. Higher wage, softer player, minimal production gain long run.
But he hasn't. He's had a 36 and a 26 point season.

Duchene had 41 last year, which was his lowest total ever (excluding lockout). He's also had 67, two 55, 59, and 70 point seasons. What is Bennett showing that makes you think he'll produce at least at that clip?

He's also played on Team Canada at both the Olympics and the recent World Cup.

Duchene is 26 so it's not like you'd be trading for an old bum either.

Bennett has potential but there's also the chance that he never lives up to it, and from what I'm seeing it looks like that's a real possibility. He'll be lucky to be in the same realm as Duchene.

If all the Avs are asking for in return is Bennett you do that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #84
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I would go in on a Jankowski + Bennett + Kylington/Andersson type deal for Duchene if it were available. However, I'd imagine that there are much stronger prospects on the table from other teams that also include picks so I don't see a deal happening.
Not sure if troll or just dumb...
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #85
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
He's a season removed from 30 goals in 76 games. He was a point-per-game player in 2014. When he was Bennett's age he already had a 27 goal, 67 point campaign.

A bad season on the worst team in the league and he still has an average of 60 points/82 games after entering the league as an 18 year old, but somehow he's a 50 point guy while the player with a career high of 36 points is going to be better. Okay.
I know what he was. My post was about what he is (I said 50-55 points, if you want to quote correctly, and I'm not calculating it over 80 games when he, like most guys, often plays a few less than that every year). Which includes, BTW, the fact that his 30 goal season was his absolute highest, not counting lockout year. And the fact that even in that season he had 59 points. He had 18/41 last year. He had 21/55 three years ago.

And yes, the 26 year old playing top minutes is not going to get better while the 20 year old who has not had the same minutes yet is, IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #86
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Duchene had 41 last year, which was his lowest total ever (excluding lockout). He's also had 67, two 55, 59, and 70 point seasons. What is Bennett showing that makes you think he'll produce at least at that clip?

Bennett has potential but there's also the chance that he never lives up to it, and from what I'm seeing it looks like that's a real possibility. He'll be lucky to be in the same realm as Duchene.

If all the Avs are asking for in return is Bennett you do that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

No you don't. Bennett is cheaper, younger, and controlled.

I'm not saying you wouldn't look at the trade, but is giving up the next 7 or 8 years of Bennett worth it to have Duchene for 2 years?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #87
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames maybe one of the teams interested in Duchene?

Yeah count me in the camp of saying no bloody way do I deal Bennett for Duchene. I'd even go so far as saying there's a good chance Bennett puts up the same offensive numbers as Duchene in one of the next few years. Duchene is right around the corner from UFA-land, and Bennett is a cost controlled player with plenty of potential.

There's just no rationale reason to do that deal today. That's looking at the "now" at the expense of the future.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #88
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Couldn't disagree more. Bennett at 19 had 5 less points than Duchene had at 25/26. Duchene hasn't cracked 60pts in 3 seasons either. He is at or entering his prime so we can expect another couple 55pt seasons and then decide if we give him the Bobby Ryan contract or not as that is likely what it costs.

It is infuriating to see people dismiss or lose hope in Bennett because of a sophomore slump. Seriously it happens to a ton of guys but we were spoiled with monster sophomore seasons from Gaudreau and Monahan. Bennett missed a full year of development save for 25 games of jr/NHL experience. He then has a fine rookie season on the wing. In his second full season he has a new coach/system and is playing exclusively centre with a major focus being his 2 way play. He regresses offensively and now at 21 he is written off as a guy who may or may not be a 40pt guy? There is still a chance Bennett is our number 1 center and leading scorer by the time he is Duchene's age now.

Importantly Bennett is 21 and cost controlled for at least the next 5 years. In 2 years Duchene is a UFA and looking to score a big payday that takes him into his mid-30's. If someone could guarantee that Duchene outscores Bennett 2:1 next year then it is possibly worth it as a swing for the fences 2 year push to win the cup. If the Flames want to play the long game then you keep your 21 year old top 4 pick that could easily break out and outscore Duchene as soon as next year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #89
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should not trade for a player that only has 2 years left that costs them serious assets.

Time to call up a few guys and see if we can slot a prospect in.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #90
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other "thought":

There’s been criticism of the way Colorado’s handled this. I do think everyone — including Duchene — would benefit from a fresh start, but the Avalanche need this deal. The Ryan O’Reilly trade didn’t work, and you can’t move two of those talents without getting some kind of win. They are looking for young players with term, and I think the guys they’ve targeted include Mathew Barzal and Ilya Sorokin from the Islanders; Brandon Carlo or Charlie McEvoy from the Bruins; Mattias Ekholm from the Predators. (Before someone from Barstool comes at me, I don’t think the McEvoy conversation was a long one.)

What makes it tough for these other clubs is Duchene only has two years remaining. That certainly was a problem for Carolina. One exec pointed out three examples of similar trades: Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones; Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson; and Jonathan Drouin for Mikhail Sergachev. They were all one-for-one, and both players involved could be under team control for a longer time. But the Avalanche are determined to do it right, and they have to.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #91
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Flames should not trade for a player that only has 2 years left that costs them serious assets.

Time to call up a few guys and see if we can slot a prospect in.
Flames have no one in the farm system that is anywhere near the same calibre of a player.

Farms guys are checker type of players.

Duchene is a top line guy...

While I agree, they clearly need to be careful. If they acquire him they would need to keep him long term.

However, I doubt the Flames have the assets to make this type of a move.

I would think the Avalanche want a top end dman,
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #92
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I would entertain a Duchene acquisition is straight up for Backlund. Not a chance I trade Bennett for him.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #93
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My suspicion is that the Av's would want Brodie + a pick or a prospect for Duchene.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #94
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
My suspicion is that the Av's would want Brodie + a pick or a prospect for Duchene.
Yup, that is an instant hangup
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #95
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The only way I would entertain a Duchene acquisition is straight up for Backlund. Not a chance I trade Bennett for him.
Not saying Backlund > Duchene but I think that move would be bad for the Flames. Duchene brings scoring but can't really replace the myriad of responsibilities that Backlund does for this team.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jemjey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
They need Brodie much more than we need Duchene.

Duchene would be a nice complimentary add, Brodie would be one of their best players.

Brodie had 5 less points than Duchene last season. Thanks but no thanks I'd prefer to keep Brodie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #97
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
If you want to put it that way, you can begin to call Eklund credible. I am not saying Friedman is unreliable, he just hasn't been right about a lot of "rumours" lately. So I will be skeptical about everything he says until he proves me wrong. That's all I am saying.
Only took him four hours:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...12680438046725
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #98
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
How could anyone entertain trading Bennett? He has potential to be a breakout piece as our highest ever drafted player. You do not want to explore that option unless it's for MacKinnon
I am in no way suggesting Calgary should or will trade Bennett. I love the kid as a Flame.

That said... if Calgary does re-sign Backlund and continue to be intent on developing Bennett at Center, I could certainly see a future where Sam gets moved. He's simply too good to be stuck playing third line minutes with depth forwards. He will never realize his true potential in that role, so if his value is high and the Flames can maximize it, I wouldn't be shocked to see them move him.

But I WOULD be shocked if that were to happen before Backlund signs on the dotted line.

I want to keep both of them because I'm selfish. I just don't know if it actually happens.

If they finally cave and move him to wing, all bets are off.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #99
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think acquiring Duchene would mess up our cap situation up front. Doesn't seem realistic at all. Brouwer would have to be dealt but he has a full NTC. Doesn't seem like there's a fit there at all.

Rather just stick with Bennett and Janko frankly. I think Duchene is overrated based on the reported asking price. COL can't afford to deal him for what would make sense for us. Just doesn't really make any sense. Zero interest in dealing Bennett for a Duchene. Zero interest in dealing Brodie for Duchene. There's no fit IMO
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #100
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Trading for Duchene would mean planning to play him on the wing in the top 6. He's not moving Monahan or Backlund off of the top two lines and he's a waste of a player on the 3rd line. Makes more sense to give up on the Bennett centre experiment and convert him to winger before you go spending assets bringing in an overpriced Duchene.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote