Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #521
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I assume those statements are written by their agents or PR people.
Assuming so, you’d just think that with the sheer number of cases coming out in a small amount of time then their PR people would be aware of everything sounding the exact same, and thus, fake.

I get that it’s part of the machine, but it sucks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #522
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

speaking with my wife about the swing in the pendulum from ignoring victims to believing them and taking action.

being a woman and also having been a HR manager, she has a perspective I can never have.

She agrees in some cases the punishment seems extreme for an allegation but sometimes in a revolution it happens. Women are finally getting believed, getting supported and the perps are getting justice not further rewards.

she also noted that in the vast majority of cases, it wasn't a one time error in judgment but a long term pattern of behaviour.

my wife also thinks lena dunham is a self absorbed, hypocritical, piece of crap who should never again have a platform to be heard.
she thinks that NY post column nailed it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #523
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The thing that is starting to bug me about this, seen in the recent Lauer and Simmons apologies, is the need to tie it back to themselves. Maybe it relates to the powerful narcissist thing we’ve been talking about, but my god, I’m sick of hearing about these people talk about whatever journey to being a better person they’re about to embark on. It’s so phoney and contrived.

The focus of any statement where you admit to wrong doing should be the apology, on top of that, maybe some recognition that you need to be better. But I don’t care if it’s now your “full time job” or that you are now going to focus on your not-for-profit and spend time “learning, healing, and listening.”

These people are awful, it’s so obviously fake and still just about them.
If they make no mention of how they are going to change or attempt to make things better then their apology will be chewed up as being hollow. But if they attempt to make it right then they'll diminish some of the damage headed their way.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #524
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

If you get a chance to catch today's Morning Joe, it's a good one. Joe goes off on the Matt Lauer stuff, including the rumours he'd heard about the guy's behaviour.

In a way, NBC's handling of this is the most honest and transparent I've seen so far, but it's kind of wild watching people who knew and were friends and colleagues of a guy talk all morning about what they knew about him and how they feel about it. Must be brutal for Lauer, who I imagine isn't tuning in. A bit different than just having the story reported on and discussed by strangers in comments pages.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Easy translation

Please make sure that you rub onions on your eyes before you speak to the press, its probably preferable that you do this via written statement instead as your friends at XYZ-Superstar PR can make sure that they write it to make you the victim

NSFW!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #526
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
If you get a chance to catch today's Morning Joe, it's a good one. Joe goes off on the Matt Lauer stuff, including the rumours he'd heard about the guy's behaviour.

In a way, NBC's handling of this is the most honest and transparent I've seen so far, but it's kind of wild watching people who knew and were friends and colleagues of a guy talk all morning about what they knew about him and how they feel about it. Must be brutal for Lauer, who I imagine isn't tuning in. A bit different than just having the story reported on and discussed by strangers in comments pages.
I wonder what's going to come out about Joe. There has been rumours of him being involved in the death of a intern but all I have seen is rumour and don't know the situation that well.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #527
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I wonder what's going to come out about Joe. There has been rumours of him being involved in the death of a intern but all I have seen is rumour and don't know the situation that well.
Did you even bother to read anything about that story? He wasn't even in Florida when she died. Talk about spreading fake news.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #528
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sportsnet fires baseball analyst Gregg Zaun.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/11/3...es-gregg-zaun/
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #529
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Why am I not surprised? This problem seem to stretch across all types of media. I feel like this isn't slowing down and we are going to see academia start to come into focus after the media.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #530
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
John Doyle at the Globe & Mail has a good take on this:

Celebrity attracts narcissistic people. And narcissistic people, once they're accorded high status and have their every appetite indulged, can become pretty monstrous. Normal sexual acts and status become mundane. New horizons are sought.

Really, power corrupts. It's one of the most common themes in art.
I wonder how wide spread this is. If it is, we could just be seeing the really bad guys getting rid of the competition. Not that I am defending those who have already been accused, but there could be people who are not only guilty of sexual assault themselves but also blackmail behind many of these accusations coming to light.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #531
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, it seems that there are lots of job openings in the media as the old guard are falling everywhere
Old 12-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #532
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

funny how someone losing their high profile job doesn't bother me as much when it's someone I can't stand.

for sportscasters, this is probably the least surprising person that could have been accused of such behavior.

thread needs a more accurate title.

"ongoing sexual misconduct revelations" ?

Last edited by GordonBlue; 12-01-2017 at 07:40 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #533
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Why am I not surprised? This problem seem to stretch across all types of media. I feel like this isn't slowing down and we are going to see academia start to come into focus after the media.
Funny that everyone is guilty and faces consequences excepting Republicans.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #534
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nine Women Accuse Israel Horovitz, Playwright and Mentor, of Sexual Misconduct

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/t...?smid=pl-share

Beastie Boys’ Ad-Rock Responds to Sexual Assault Allegations Against His Father Israel Horovitz

Multiple women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the playwright

https://pitchfork.com/news/beastie-b...ocial_facebook

Ad-Rock said, “I believe the allegations against my father are true, and I stand behind the women that made them.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #535
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Flashback: Bette Midler Claims Geraldo Rivera Drugged, Groped Her

Actress recalled disturbing incident to Barbara Walters during 1991 interview

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ed-her-w512965
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:54 AM   #536
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This whole entire situation is getting very interesting very quickly and I really don't know where or when it will stop or correct itself. I will be the first to admit that a huge chunk of these cases and things I have witnessed personally fall into the scumbag category for a lot of these guys. I pride myself on being a gentleman in all ways but some of the stuff I am reading about some of these cases and conversations revolve around some fairly mundane and normal talk. I have heard things such as making a romantic advance, making a comment about one's appearance or even being overheard making a comment to a work colleague or friend is becoming grounds for dismissal.

I just don't know at which point this will end because the truth of the matter every single person in a workplace environment is guilty, end of story and that includes men and women. How far as a society do we want to take this? Let's make sure that we are apply the standards evenly across the board too between men and women, not just the scumbag stuff the guys are doing that wouldn't be tolerated at all.

If the lead female anchor on a national news broadcast is ever caught making any sort of comment or sex joke or reference to someone's appearance or clothing, are we going to demand that they are fired?

Will a hard working female bank executive need to be packaged out to the tune of a few million dollars in severance because some young guy got worked up and offended that she comment on his suit and tie?

At the end of the day if two guys sitting around a workplace lunchroom shooting the breeze and if they are overheard discussing the new "hottie" that was hired, well they are going to need to be fired and than kicked to the curb. The same standard will need to be applied to the ladies of the office as well.

Anybody notice how often Canada's Prime Minister's looks and sexiness is brought up? He seems to relish it to be honest and good on him. How acceptable would it have been for people to gush over the attractive Rona Ambrose who lead the Conservative Party?

Just interesting times! Before anybody roasts me, I am fully aware that a lot of the allegations are BAD, guys exposing themselves, non stop touching of colleagues and other sorts of perverted stuff. I am talking about the stuff that everybody is guilty of like the appearance talk, perhaps making a joke or emailing a joke to someone, asking out a colleague on a date and than finding out it was unwanted and other general workplace issues. Were all vulnerable!!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #537
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's an actual example of someone getting fired or railroaded for something mundane? The examples we've seen have been pretty serious. I don't know if this phenomenon needs to be corrected. I think it needs to expand. The learning has been really great so far.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #538
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Rona Ambrose is attractive??
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #539
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
This whole entire situation is getting very interesting very quickly and I really don't know where or when it will stop or correct itself. I will be the first to admit that a huge chunk of these cases and things I have witnessed personally fall into the scumbag category for a lot of these guys. I pride myself on being a gentleman in all ways but some of the stuff I am reading about some of these cases and conversations revolve around some fairly mundane and normal talk. I have heard things such as making a romantic advance, making a comment about one's appearance or even being overheard making a comment to a work colleague or friend is becoming grounds for dismissal.

I just don't know at which point this will end because the truth of the matter every single person in a workplace environment is guilty, end of story and that includes men and women. How far as a society do we want to take this? Let's make sure that we are apply the standards evenly across the board too between men and women, not just the scumbag stuff the guys are doing that wouldn't be tolerated at all.

If the lead female anchor on a national news broadcast is ever caught making any sort of comment or sex joke or reference to someone's appearance or clothing, are we going to demand that they are fired?

Will a hard working female bank executive need to be packaged out to the tune of a few million dollars in severance because some young guy got worked up and offended that she comment on his suit and tie?

At the end of the day if two guys sitting around a workplace lunchroom shooting the breeze and if they are overheard discussing the new "hottie" that was hired, well they are going to need to be fired and than kicked to the curb. The same standard will need to be applied to the ladies of the office as well.

Anybody notice how often Canada's Prime Minister's looks and sexiness is brought up? He seems to relish it to be honest and good on him. How acceptable would it have been for people to gush over the attractive Rona Ambrose who lead the Conservative Party?

Just interesting times! Before anybody roasts me, I am fully aware that a lot of the allegations are BAD, guys exposing themselves, non stop touching of colleagues and other sorts of perverted stuff. I am talking about the stuff that everybody is guilty of like the appearance talk, perhaps making a joke or emailing a joke to someone, asking out a colleague on a date and than finding out it was unwanted and other general workplace issues. Were all vulnerable!!
This is just hysteria. No one is dismissed for cause over compliments or a few offensive jokes. Although the media might treat these issues of sexual harassment in the workplace as something new and revolutionary, courts, labour arbitrators, and human rights tribunals have been considering these issues for years and years. There is a large body of law regarding what sort of misconduct will constitute cause for dismissal.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #540
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

That's not what's happening though. Nearly every single one of these instances is backed up by multiple victims and what appears to be prior common knowledge. A bad joke or a side comment might draw attention, but nobody is getting their careers burnt to the ground because a single line cross.

As for the Trudeau thing, if you're a woman in politics it's far more likely people will talk about your looks than your policies.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote