Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #41
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

San Francisco is butt. Totally overrated.

NYC, Nashville and San Diego are the best.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #42
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree that San Francisco is overrated. It’s top three for me and one of the coolest cities in the States.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #43
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toss up between San Diego (beautiful, not super crowded, relaxed) and Boston (historic, awesome vibe, fun)
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #44
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC getting some love here, it certainly deserves it. I love Vegas, my folks winter there so we're there a lot. Enjoyed my short stay in Pittsburgh, Boston and it's history were amazing. Richmond VA was also historically fun, so much Civil War stuff. Seattle is great.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #45
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To live: San Diego (America's Finest City)

To visit: DC and San Francisco

Compared against: Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Seattle, Cleveland, Portland, Baltimore, Orlando, Phoenix.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #46
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My favorite US city to leave: Midland, Texas.

My favorite US city to visit or live in: One that isn't Midland, Texas.

That said:

Many of the cities listed here (San Fran, NYC, Austin, and so on) are only worthwhile if you have a lot of money to burn (either your own or your employer's).

New Orleans is a dump.

Houston offers nothing for the casual visitor after 2 days.

San Antonio? What is there possibly to see or do in San Antonio that is worth more than a few hours of your time?

San Diego offers a lot for the visitor and resident. It also costs a small fortune to live there. At least to live there well.

Denver is crowded. Perhaps worth a few days. At most.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #47
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everyone has pretty much hit all the high points. Love Seattle, San Diego and most of southern California.

Still trying to set up my first trip to Nashville and New Orleans.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #48
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Orleans for me easily.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #49
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

DC and NYC are incredible for vacations. Just so much to see and do. TV shows just don't do these places justice.

San Diego is great, but a bit jarring for the average Canadian. So much of the place revolves around the Navy. I found it cool, personally, but it does get a bit overwhelming at times.

If you have kids, the gulf coast of Florida (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Sarasota) is great. It's expensive and overrun by tourists, but I still love it. Great weather, incredible beaches, and a million things to within an hour or two of driving. The rest of Florida is a hot mess though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #50
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some cities I like visiting:

Charleston, SC
Omaha, NE
Denver, CO
Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #51
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
DC, NOLA and Seattle are some of my favorite places to visit.

And I disagree with the OP, Houston is a great city.
It's 93 degrees right now in a concrete city and the air quality is 63% because one of our astro-dome-sized chemical holders exploded and caught fire to several others on March 17, and we are still experiencing the effects from the giant black plume of chemical-smoke from three weeks ago. Every time it rains part of this concrete city floods. MAGA hats are donned by every 10th person in the outlying areas, traffic is absolutely unbearable, and Ted Cruz lives here. Besides the unbearable heat and humidity, the disgusting mudwater beaches on the Gulf Coast, clay deposits in the water, last year's increased murder rate of 25%, and the crooked-AF-police force- what's not to love??
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #52
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
New Orleans for me easily.
I went for the first time last year with a NOLA native and I will admit, probably one of the best trips I've ever had. I forgot about New Orleans. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #53
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
DC getting some love here, it certainly deserves it. I love Vegas, my folks winter there so we're there a lot. Enjoyed my short stay in Pittsburgh, Boston and it's history were amazing. Richmond VA was also historically fun, so much Civil War stuff. Seattle is great.
I am really surprised more people didn't say Vegas. For someplace I don't list as a favourite, I sure go there a lot for some reason.. I would love to go to Richmond and DC, two places on my list!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #54
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

San Diego was great the first few times I went. The fourth visit it was kind of Meh.... Still probably a decent place to live though.

San Francisco is all hype. The place sucks balls.

New York city is cool, but overwhelming. Would never want to live there, but is always great to visit. Still every time I leave NYC I'm a bit relieved.

New Orleans is a giant open air sewer. I hate everything about that place. The food is severely over rated and the crime is third world levels of bad. I can understand why someone would visit it, but I lived there for a year and the day I left was the happiest day of my life.

Washington DC is probably my favorite and is very underrated especially amongst Canadians. It's surprisingly a decent place to live even if you're not mega rich.

One city that is a bit off the radar for most is Alexandria, Virginia. Obviously it's part of the DC metro, but it's well worth a trip if any of you find yourselves in the area. So much history and beautiful architecture in the Old Town area.

Miami is also another city that doesn't get much love in western Canada, but it's a super cool place (just not during hurricane season).

Sacramento is surprisingly alright

Agreed with the op, Houston is soul crushingly ugly.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #55
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a bit torn. Sentimentally I have to pick Prescott AZ. I feel like I grew up there. My first and best job was bartending at a saloon with pictures of Doc, Wyatt, and the gang sitting at the same bar I worked behind with bullet holes in it from shoot outs in the 1800's. Also if you like climbing it's a hidden mecca.

But now I'd choose Palm Springs. It's just cool there. Art and architecture and dogs spray painted pink. Love that weirdo haven. It's so easy to deal with being there too. The airport is great. Roads are empty. Cheap.

A second to Tucson. Bear down 'Cats.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #56
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ranking the ones I've been to based solely off of my own arbitrary reasoning;

1. Seattle
2. Boston
3. Palm Springs
4. Las Vegas
5. Phoenix
6. Dallas
7. Portland
8. LA/Anaheim

Probably doesn't count as a city but I also enjoy Whitefish any time I've gone.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #57
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

But now I'd choose Palm Springs. It's just cool there. Art and architecture and dogs spray painted pink. Love that weirdo haven. It's so easy to deal with being there too. The airport is great. Roads are empty. Cheap.
Forgot about Palm Springs! I've only spent a weekend there, but really want to return. I do love the airport!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #58
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
If you have kids, the gulf coast of Florida (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Sarasota) is great. It's expensive and overrun by tourists, but I still love it. Great weather, incredible beaches, and a million things to within an hour or two of driving. The rest of Florida is a hot mess though.
for sure I don't really count the gulf coast when I think of urban holidays , but as a place to visit which I've done many many times it is great. Venice, Naples etc...

we stayed once at a Hampton Inns in Naples I think. what a great deal. just the free breakfast for the 4 of us was worth about the same as what we paid for the hotel
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #59
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Forgot about Palm Springs! I've only spent a weekend there, but really want to return. I do love the airport!
We went to Carlsbad over spring break and there was no direct out of San Diego the day we needed to return.

Choices were connect in Vancouver, fly out of LAX, or fly out of Palm Springs. We picked the PSP direct - the drive was faster than connecting, and given the size of the airport you can arrive later prior to your flight. Plus it avoids the hell hole that is LAX.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #60
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
It's 93 degrees right now in a concrete city and the air quality is 63% because one of our astro-dome-sized chemical holders exploded and caught fire to several others on March 17, and we are still experiencing the effects from the giant black plume of chemical-smoke from three weeks ago. Every time it rains part of this concrete city floods. MAGA hats are donned by every 10th person in the outlying areas, traffic is absolutely unbearable, and Ted Cruz lives here. Besides the unbearable heat and humidity, the disgusting mudwater beaches on the Gulf Coast, clay deposits in the water, last year's increased murder rate of 25%, and the crooked-AF-police force- what's not to love??
Well I’m sorry you hate it that much. I find the people to be incredibly friendly for the most part. I love the diversity, the energy of the city and the endless choices for food and entertainment. As for a concrete city, Houston is awfully green. So many people out tonight running, walking their dogs, biking, sitting on their porch or on a patio with friends. It’s a great day in the city IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote