Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #41
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilboy2 View Post
If you like travel then try capital one aspire travel card. I have had it a year and a half and put everything possible on it ( I also pay it off every month and live within my means) and have enough points to travel almost anywhere in the world.

Best part about this card is you can get cash back on your points, use the points on any airline as all they do is reimburse travel recipes so no requirements.

Another unknown bonus is if you buy things like TVs with the card it either doubles manufacturers warranty up to 2 years to the existing warranty.

Yes there is an annual fee but if you spend enough you will easily make that fee back. They also give 10000 points every year on the anniversary.
Any experiences with redeeming the points. i.e. run into any problems?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #42
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
Yes most restaurants actually prefer it.
I would love to see anything to back up that claim, since Amex charges businesses the most vs mc/visa. IMO an 80% acceptance isn't enough to make it the only card I carry.

Superstore, as well as most fast food chains don't take it. Personally I try to shop at mom & pop shops, local contractors, etc. when I can so that alone is a non-starter.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #43
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I would love to see anything to back up that claim, since Amex charges businesses the most vs mc/visa. IMO an 80% acceptance isn't enough to make it the only card I carry.

Superstore, as well as most fast food chains don't take it. Personally I try to shop at mom & pop shops, local contractors, etc. when I can so that alone is a non-starter.
I resolved that problem by buying superstore gift cards from gas stations and shoppers where I can use my SPG card. I pay my phone, internet, TV bills with SPG card too. this way i can maximize the points. I value the spg points at 5 cents/point, so I get 5% back for everything. no other card can bit it in my opinion.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I use it for almost everything and I think only once or twice couldn't.

I think it gives you status too if you spend enough
when you spend reaches 30k, you are gold member at SPG hotel chains such as Westin, Sheraton, etc.

when you total spend reaches 40k, you get one more free night at any SPG hotel. this is on top of the 21k sign up bonus which is the highest I have ever seen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Do most restaurants? Cabs? Pubs? Online places? Thats where I tend to use the CC.
I used my Amex for business travel, which is almost exclusively those things (plus mandatory hookers and blow).

The only time I could not use it was in Vegas once, when the cabbie wouldn't take any credit card at all.

I dunno, maybe I paid cash more than I thought.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #46
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes most restaurants actually prefer it.
I'm sure they don't. The most they ever pay for super premium visa and m/c is about 2.6% while Amex is 3.5%. Most restaurants take it because they'll lose the corporate card business if they don't.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #47
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
I'm sure they don't. The most they ever pay for super premium visa and m/c is about 2.6% while Amex is 3.5%. Most restaurants take it because they'll lose the corporate card business if they don't.
Only some small chinese restaurants do not accept Amex cards in my experience.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post

3.5% would be the best AMEX merchant rate I've seen, and I doubt they get them (maybe a chain). I would bet they are 4-5% as that is what they offer me for an independent clothing shop with strong sales numbers.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Lol, if that's what balling is, then I don't want to be balling anymore.

A big chunk of that (15k) was my wedding.
Well that makes more sense. But I was viewing it as charging almost 3k a month to your credit card. Guess I am far far away from ballerhood.
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
SPG points are the best I have ever used by far.

I have always avoided American Express because I assume no places take it.

I got an AMEX for the points bonus, but it required 3000 in spending over 3 months. I guess it really depends on where you shop, but I was unable to make that limit. I found that only major chains were taking the card.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #51
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I got an AMEX for the points bonus, but it required 3000 in spending over 3 months. I guess it really depends on where you shop, but I was unable to make that limit. I found that only major chains were taking the card.
Yours must be the business gold card. The personal gold card only requires 500 in the first 3 months to get the 20k sign up bonus. The SPG card requires 1000 spend in the first 3 months to get the 21k bonus SPG points.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #52
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have the scotia gold American Express I've had not issues using it and have liked on the points.

Only places that haven't taken it are superstore as mentioned and shoppers. I use visa instead then.

Like I said the acceptance thing is just a strange myth, you can use it most places you can use visa.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #53
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only places that haven't taken it are superstore as mentioned and shoppers. I use visa instead then.

Like I said the acceptance thing is just a strange myth, you can use it most places you can use visa.
Whoa now, I have to comment here.For many years I've had the uber-Amex, the Gold 2% cash back on everything with no cap for many years now (no fee till 2 years ago). Great benefits on the card but I can definitely say that there are limitations on where you can use it.

For retail stores, if you only shop at major "corporate" chain stores like HD or Walmart - yeah, it's fine. But most smaller stores refuse to takes Amex due to the fees involved. Superstore being the notable exception.

For restaurants, you'll have better luck, but most non chain restaurants won't accept AMEX. Major difference being many mid-high to high end restaurants will, which is nice.

No way can you go on an Amex alone, so I pair it with a Visa which is a pretty good tandem.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-05-2013 at 07:37 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #54
JMN
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any thoughts on a CIBC Aventura card vs the TD First Class travel? The Amex is nice but not really a card I want to carry (as the only one).
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #55
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did RBC change up their Avion point credits?

It used to be 15000 for a short haul flight.. when I look now it says $1=100 points, so $500 = 50000 points. Most flights are like $400 return to Vancouver... so isn't that like 40000 points now for a short haul flight?

Unless a flight costs $150.00 = 15,000 points, I think I'm missing something.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could be wrong or misunderstanding your post, but there is a difference between actually buying points vs the points you get for buying stuff.

Last I checked it was 1 for 1. So if you buy 15000 dollars worth of hookers and blow you get 15000 points.

If you want to buy points, quite frankly the only thing you get is ripped off.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #57
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.rbcrewards.com/travel-re...demption-grid/

based on the maximum ticket price, avion redemption is approximately 2 cents per point. If you go above the price limit for the ticket, you can either pay the remainder in cash (credit) or using additional points at a rate of 1 cent per point.

for all items other than flights, it's 1 cent per point, so the most efficient way to use avion is for plane tickets only. the advantage is that it's a billion times more flexible than aeroplan. any flight that you can find through the Travelocity network can be booked. and if it's not there, you can also call in and just tell them the flight numbers.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #58
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I could be wrong or misunderstanding your post, but there is a difference between actually buying points vs the points you get for buying stuff.

Last I checked it was 1 for 1. So if you buy 15000 dollars worth of hookers and blow you get 15000 points.

If you want to buy points, quite frankly the only thing you get is ripped off.
Ahh that makes sense I thought that a short haul flight was no longer 15000 because when I clicked on RBC travel the option to buy points pops up on the main page which is a little deceiving.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #59
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I used my Amex for business travel, which is almost exclusively those things (plus mandatory hookers and blow).

The only time I could not use it was in Vegas once, when the cabbie wouldn't take any credit card at all.

I dunno, maybe I paid cash more than I thought.
I use Amex almost for everything. For grocery, I go to Safeway often. If I go to superstore, I use gift cards that I bought from gas stations. All gas stations take Amex.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #60
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Target stores are coming to Calgary, and RBC is offering a Target card.

Instant Happiness with 5% Savings

Save 5%* on the little things you need—and the big things you want—with the new Target RBC MasterCard. Enjoy the convenience, flexibility and protection you expect in a credit card when you use your card to pay at Target stores in Canada.

• Instant 5% off* on almost everything at Target stores in Canada.
  • 0.5% back in Target GiftCard Rewards on your everyday purchases outside of Target.**
  • No annual fee and no charge for co-applicants or authorized users.

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points