Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
Brouwer has a full NTC this season.
After that, he must provide a list of 15 teams that he cannot be traded to.
If he gets traded, I'd bet it won't be until after this season.

As much as I want to see Jankowski on the Flames this season, burying Brouwer in the minors would be poor asset management.
I doubt he would stick with his NTC.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #102
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Brouwer has been alright tonight. Just wanted to write that down because it's pretty rare.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #103
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer was a bit better last night than recently, but he still needs to do even more if he wants to earn anything more than the minutes he got last night, even as a 4th liner.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #104
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

What a disinterested piece of poop Brouwer is. Stajan is more effective than him at the moment. Makes me sick watching Brouwer. It's just so bad.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #105
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Brouwer laid a couple hits and won a faceoff or two after the stripes kept tossing our centers out. Other than that, the only other times when he was noticable was when he iced the puck, lost possession, or the one time he Rocket League'd a sure goal.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #106
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Brouwer score 10 pts this year?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #107
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Will Brouwer score 10 pts this year?
That's the $18 million dollar question right there.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #108
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I dislike about Brouwer is really how it seems he has a lack of compete right now. I figured that last year a very plausible excuse for his lack of success was indeed the injury to his hand. I really thought we would see a bit of a bounce-back year for him. However, I see a guy that isn't skating hard and competing for pucks hard.

At any rate, I don't see sending him down to be a solution at this point. I don't feel Jankowski would be his replacement, but I do think that Hathaway might be a better fit on that line. Either way, it is probably in the Flames' best interests right now to have him in the lineup and see if he plays himself out of it. Best case scenario he lives up to his contract and brings a lot of grit, tough play and decent depth scoring, maybe he does just enough to make him more palatable in a trade... or after a while, he will start be a healthy scratch.

I don't see him sticking in the lineup all season with his current play. I really thought he would come out with some fire and something to prove this year, but it is not happening. Was kind of looking for a 'feel good' story about him this year. So far, I am seeing more of the same.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #109
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's his buyout cap hit at the end this year and how long would it last?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #110
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
What's his buyout cap hit at the end this year and how long would it last?
1.5M x 4.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #111
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

After this season, his buyout would be 1.5 mil for 4 years

I think someone would take him at 50% retained. 2.25x2 for a guy who can supposedly provide good leadership and pot 15 goals is something I can see a GM falling for, even if he might be the worst player in the league during those two years

Better to lose 2.25 for 2 years than 1.5 for 4 I'd say
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #112
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Brouwer played the fewest minutes of anyone last night: 9:07. Even Glass had more at 9:10.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #113
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Brouwer played the fewest minutes of anyone last night: 9:07. Even Glass had more at 9:10.
I look at this, and I say -- how on earth are we going to get any production out of him and ergo boost his value while he's getting this icetime? You look at how he was producing early on last season:

First 34 GP:
8 G
9 A
17 PTS
17:31 ATOI

He was actually getting good production with good linemates. Now look at the rest of the year:

Remaining 40 GP:
5 G
3 A
8 PTS
15:08 ATOI

And now he's playing even less, with even worse linemates. But that begs the question -- how on earth do we solve this? I mean, I want Brouwer to produce as much as anyone, but he's not going to do that with Glass and Stajan, and how can we justify bumping Jagr, Ferland, or Frolik to the 4th line?

I think what needs to happen is this:

Trade Stajan
Make Glass the 13th forward
Play Brouwer with Jankowski and Lazar

A Lazar - Jankowski - Brouwer line provides Brouwer with two decent linemates instead of plugs, possibly increasing his trade value. I also think that Brouwer should be given time on the 2PP unit -- he's fine in a powerplay role, especially in front of the net. Make the PP units as such:

Jagr
Gaudreau - Monahan
Brodie - Versteeg

Brouwer
Bennett - Backlund
Giordano - Hamilton

If the Flames are to have any hope of dealing Brouwer anywhere, they should at the very least put him in somewhat of a position to succeed. Note that I don't condone in any way the breaking up of the 3M Line, because that's just foolish. I get that putting Brouwer on the top line is another possible fix, but c'mon -- it's been established that Ferland and Lazar both work better there, as might Jagr. And do we really want to play Brouwer with Bennett?

What I'm saying is that the Flames need to try something new, as well as sticking with what works. Brouwer on the powerplay in front of the net works -- it's a situation in which he contributed in multiple occasions last season, even if he didn't show up on the scoreboard. Playing him with Mark Jankowski is new -- it gives Jankowski a chance to play with a guy who has scored 20 goals on multiple occasions recently and gives Brouwer the opportunity to play with two highly-skilled young players instead of plugs.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #114
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #115
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I look at this, and I say -- how on earth are we going to get any production out of him and ergo boost his value while he's getting this icetime?
Well, we are already in a situation where good prospects and more deserving players are bumped from the lineup in favour of Brouwer and his terrible play along with his terrible contract. I'm not sure how that situation is made any better by giving the de facto worst player on the team MORE icetime and trying to artificially inflate his totals by putting him in prime situations with prime linemates. That is the polar opposite of what I think should happen. I dont really mind Brouwer as the 4th line RW, but he sure has not deserved anything more than what he has now. On the contrary he should 100% be in the press box if all other factors were equal. It would be infuriating if Gulutzan were to give him anymore preferential treatment than he already is. Brouwer is already on the PP every now and then, I wish he wasn't.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #116
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Brouwer is awful and should be in a suit for the month of October.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #117
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given how well Lazar played, going to force the coaches to make an interesting decision when jagr is ready.

It's Brouwer or glass and one brings a unique element to the forward group (toughness and willingness to drop the gloves with anyone).....

Brouwer healthy scratch is inevitably on its way.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #118
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see us healthy scratching him for an extended period of time ~ I feel Stajan could get dealt anytime this month personally. Vegas, Pitty being the takers if a trade were to go down.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #119
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although giving a player more ice time and better linemates to increase his value is a common trick that works in general, I am not sure we are fooling anyone with Brouwer.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #120
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I can't see us healthy scratching him for an extended period of time ~ I feel Stajan could get dealt anytime this month personally. Vegas, Pitty being the takers if a trade were to go down.
We'd have to package Stajan with a good pick or prospect if you're going to want to interest Vegas in taking him. They're not trying to win now and they're just collecting picks.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote