Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Book thread (Free Classic Books for Kindle deal)

Do we have a reading list/book thread?

More importantly, I wanted to link this deal:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/search/ref=...qid=1515380497

Literally hundreds of classics to your Kindle for free. I'm sure everybody can find something in the list for less than a penny.

Anne of Green Gables
Art of War
Hamlet
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
Moby Dick
Odyssey
Othello
Heart of Darkness
Iliad
Paradise Lost
Beowulf
Pride and Prejudice
The Time Machine
Dracula
Crime and Punishment
and a hundred and more . . .
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made a goal of reading 70 books this year (including Fiction and Non-Fiction). I have divided it up to various categories and genres to give myself variety. I have also spread out the reading "difficulty" to help with the pace. Finished Origin by Dan Brown so far. Currently reading Frankenstein and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F##k.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and Sapiens - A brief history of the human kind are on the docket.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be wrong, but I believe many apps typically have a substantial number of classics available for free- text and audio books. I have read Crime and Punishment and attempted to read Pride and Prejudice. Want to try some of the classics as audiobooks now.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I made a goal of reading 70 books this year (including Fiction and Non-Fiction). I have divided it up to various categories and genres to give myself variety. I have also spread out the reading "difficulty" to help with the pace. Finished Origin by Dan Brown so far. Currently reading Frankenstein and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F##k.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and Sapiens - A brief history of the human kind are on the docket.
How was Origin? I have been meaning to pick that up, as that series is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^

Do you have to read the series in order or can you just read one offs? I read one of his a few years ago and loved it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually liked The Origin. Dan Brown generally has become an author that uses the same recipe for most of his novels. This one was definitely an interesting read, departing from his norm. My favorite novel by him though is still Digital Fortress and the least favorite one was Inferno.

Jayswin, his books center around the same character, but you don't really need to follow any order as the stories are not really linked. He might refer things here or there, but each novel is an all encompassing read.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post: