Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #421
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome map.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...gious-measles/

But the problem is that it’s not an isolated incident. Although the Texas church is the only current example in the United States, an incredibly similar situation is also unfolding in Europe.

The Netherlands has been struggling with a measles outbreak since May. So far, more than 1,200 people have been sickened, and 82 of them have ended up in the hospital. It’s the first time in the past 13 years that the country has experienced a rash of measles cases. And as the Irish Times reports, the “outbreak is concentrated in the country’s extensive Bible Belt, where the majority of fundamentalist Protestants do not believe in having their children vaccinated.”

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #422
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did not know the netherlands had a "bible belt"
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #423
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everywhere has a bible belt because everywhere has rural areas. Doesn't matter where in the world you go, folks in rural areas are generally more religious and less likely to trust the government or science.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #424
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

More on the various measles outbreaks...on pace to be the worst year in 17 years in the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/health/worst-measles-year/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The Netherlands map diagram is quite simply a fantastic representation.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #425
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #426
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently Jenny McCarthy's kid never even had autism. This woman should be in prison.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2010/02/26/...er-had-autism/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #427
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So apparently Jenny McCarthy's kid never even had autism. This woman should be in prison.

#### I can't stand her, and the large number of quasi-educated people she has created. I have a never ending stream of people I know sayin vaccinations are bad and contain horrible stuff.

#### #### #### #### #### #### #### ####
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #428
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

2010 called, it wants it's article back.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #429
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Here's my question, and I'd like to know if the vaccine proponents can answer it without insulting me; is it true that the preservatives in the vaccines are cumulative within the body and it is the successive injections that cause problems and not each individual injection? I've heard the argument from atleast a moderately reputable source and want to know if you guys that support vaccines understand and agree/disagree with the idea of cumulative effects. (I'm in the I don't know the answer yet and have an open mind to discussion about it group)
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #430
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
2010 called, it wants it's article back.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #431
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Here's my question, and I'd like to know if the vaccine proponents can answer it without insulting me; is it true that the preservatives in the vaccines are cumulative within the body and it is the successive injections that cause problems and not each individual injection? I've heard the argument from atleast a moderately reputable source and want to know if you guys that support vaccines understand and agree/disagree with the idea of cumulative effects. (I'm in the I don't know the answer yet and have an open mind to discussion about it group)
Even if cumulative how much are you really being exposed to with a yearly Flu shot and scheduled vaccines ?? There is such small quantities of all these materials that it would have negligible effects over the long term.

There certain drugs that have cumulative effects on the body (eg. Plaquenil (a anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory), but you usually need about 3-5 years of constant exposure to have any ill effects.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #432
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to defend McCarthy, but Autism is often a diagnosis made by doctors when they have no other explanation for the symptoms. Many kids with "autism" have been misdiagnosed over the years. This is changing of course, but it still happens.

At least that is what I was told by someone who is a care worker for children with behavioral and mental disabilities.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #433
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Even if cumulative how much are you really being exposed to with a yearly Flu shot and scheduled vaccines ?? There is such small quantities of all these materials that it would have negligible effects over the long term.

There certain drugs that have cumulative effects on the body (eg. Plaquenil (a anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory), but you usually need about 3-5 years of constant exposure to have any ill effects.
how do you know that it's negligible? The very idea of something being cumulative is that individual doses are negligible while numerous are dangerous, if someone receives 36 shots as an infant how do you know it's negligible? I'm not saying I know the answer, just wondering.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #434
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Not to defend McCarthy, but Autism is often a diagnosis made by doctors when they have no other explanation for the symptoms. Many kids with "autism" have been misdiagnosed over the years. This is changing of course, but it still happens.

At least that is what I was told by someone who is a care worker for children with behavioral and mental disabilities.
I would take a care worker's opinion with a big pile of salt. They are nowhere near a behavioral psychologist or neurologist, and usually at most have a B.C.Y. for education (and possibly even then just a 2 year diploma, not a full degree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #435
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
how do you know that it's negligible? The very idea of something being cumulative is that individual doses are negligible while numerous are dangerous, if someone receives 36 shots as an infant how do you know it's negligible? I'm not saying I know the answer, just wondering.
Do you mind me asking who you reputable souce was?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #436
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Does this source have a name/link/paper that can be read? The WHO has an information page on Thiomersal which says the main metabolized ingredient, ethylmercury, doesn't stay in the body. I think there may be some flu vaccines that don't have this, specifically for children.

Some light reading:
http://www.who.int/immunization/news...tion_sheet/en/
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac...ines/UCM070430
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerplunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #437
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

yeah I'll find a link
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #438
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I would take a care worker's opinion with a big pile of salt. They are nowhere near a behavioral psychologist or neurologist, and usually at most have a B.C.Y. for education (and possibly even then just a 2 year diploma, not a full degree).
Yeah, I am not saying the person is an expert, but they obviously have more than just a passing knowledge on the subject.

If you search the internet, there is a lot on the subject of how common autism misdiagnoses are.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #439
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Have a read here:
http://antiantivax.flurf.net/#Thimerosal

It does a good job explaining the 2 forms of mercury, Methyl (generally the bad one) and Ethyl (the version found in some vaccines). I'm assuming this is what you are referring to by preservatives. It also talks about the elimination of mercury from the body, with Ethyl mercury being eliminated much faster than the Methyl variety.

Basically, the trace amounts amounts of Ethyl mercury is so small, that you should be more concerned with your child eating a single can of Tuna (methyl mercury) and the cumulative effects of eating tuna regularly using the same reasoning.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #440
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, I am not saying the person is an expert, but they obviously have more than just a passing knowledge on the subject.

If you search the internet, there is a lot on the subject of how common autism misdiagnoses are.
What was typically misdiagnosed, was the degree of autism, which is why the DSMV was revamped to present the "Autism Spectrum Disorder" which has variable ranges depending on symptoms shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote