Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #1321
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy, BC extending the 2nd dose interval to 16 weeks.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #1322
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Crazy, BC extending the 2nd dose interval to 16 weeks.
This is very good news. We could be all vaccinated by June
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #1323
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This is very good news. We could be all vaccinated by June
They're saying they're estimating July for the entire population, but that sounds conservative to me given the long interval (unless they're including U18 people in that too).
Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #1324
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC also saying people will have some vaccine choice. Oxford vaccine will largely be targeted towards younger front-line workers earlier, but they'll have the option to decline and get Pfizer or Moderna when their age cohort opens up.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #1325
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the BC mid July number is based on 100% acceptance and just Moderna/Pfizer. Assuming 80% of pop is eligible you have 30 million people. Q1 is 6M and Q2 is 23. So assuming the 6M end up as 2 dose vaccines before July you have enough vaccine to vacinate 26 million people so Mid-July as a worst case 1 dose for everyone date allows for some supply disruption and a week or two from delivery to injection.

So while slightly conservative I think is a good talking point for their approach. I hope Alberta adopts the one dose model as well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #1326
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, just looking at the numbers, with a 16-week interval starting now, BC would have enough doses of Pfizer + Moderna by the end of June to administer 3.5M 1st doses. That would cover 100% of the population over 30 years old, so in that sense the July timeline makes sense. But with 85% uptake, it'd do everyone who wanted it over 20, and with any AstraZeneca (or J&J) doses it'd be even faster.

Also of note, the 16-week interval wouldn't need to remain in place through the summer (at least for the mRNA vaccine where there's no demonstrated advantage to waiting). It's quite possible that someone getting their 1st dose in May or June could be getting their 2nd dose a couple of months after that as supply increases through Q3.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #1327
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the BC mid July number is based on 100% acceptance and just Moderna/Pfizer. Assuming 80% of pop is eligible you have 30 million people. Q1 is 6M and Q2 is 23. So assuming the 6M end up as 2 dose vaccines before July you have enough vaccine to vacinate 26 million people so Mid-July as a worst case 1 dose for everyone date allows for some supply disruption and a week or two from delivery to injection.

So while slightly conservative I think is a good talking point for their approach. I hope Alberta adopts the one dose model as well.
They're expecting to have received 3,800,000 doses of Pfizer and Moderna by end of June. There's 4,300,000 or so residents over 18. So if you assume 80% acceptance, that's only 3,440,000. So Just with Pfizer and Moderna you could almost get there by end of June. Granted some will have had or will be getting their second dose which would use some of that up
Old 03-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #1328
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're expecting to have received 3,800,000 doses of Pfizer and Moderna by end of June. There's 4,300,000 or so residents over 18. So if you assume 80% acceptance, that's only 3,440,000. So Just with Pfizer and Moderna you could almost get there by end of June. Granted some will have had or will be getting their second dose which would use some of that up
This give me hope that my daughter might get a high school grad assuming numbers are the same in AB

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #1329
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, some people done from Dec-Feb will have gotten 2 doses and anyone getting their 1st dose in the first 2 weeks of March would need their 2nd dose to come out of the final 2 weeks of June's shipments.

So based on some rough math, there were enough doses (320K) from Dec-Feb to give 160K people 2 doses, and about 200K doses from the end of June would be needed to cover 2nd doses for people getting their 1st dose in the next couple of weeks. So that leaves about 3.3M 1st doses available by the end of June, which after deducting the 160K people from Dec-Feb is everyone over 30 or a little over 80% of the over 18 population.

But of course, that doesn't include any AstraZeneca of J&J doses. Even just the 2M Serum Institute of India doses (all of which are expected by May) would cover an additional 250-300K people.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #1330
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very happy to hear this. I’ve been really hoping for this, and expect that likely Alberta will follow suit (they were an early adopter of the 42 day interval).

This has the potential to get back to near normal by July.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #1331
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, even if Alberta sticks with a 6-week interval for Pfizer and Moderna and adds a fairly modest number of Oxford doses on a 12-week interval, there would probably be enough doses by the end of June to get 80-85% of the 18+ population.

A 16-week interval is pretty extreme, but reading between the lines I think BC is hoping to get as much coverage with Pfizer and Moderna as possible. I imagine they feel the risks of extending the interval are smaller than the risks of a) delaying 1st doses for anyone, and b) broadly covering the population with a less effective vaccine that has proven to be less adept at handling some variants.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #1332
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization came out with their recommendations for the Oxford vaccine:

-12-week interval recommended
-not recommended for use in 65+ year olds due to lack of efficacy data in that age group.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #1333
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

The one article I read insinuated that the national advisory committee will be coming out with the 16 week interval recommendation shortly (for the mRNA product). They must be getting good supporting data on that I would think.

To me this is huge news.

The way BC is trying to deal with the less effective vaccine is interesting as well. While more vaccine is better, it is naive to think anyone would prefer a less effective vaccine over a more effective one, if there is any reasonable choice involved.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #1334
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bid...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
The White House spokesperson today ruled out sending vaccines to continental partners like Canada and Mexico, saying U.S. President Joe Biden is committed to getting every American vaccinated before sharing doses with other countries.
During a White House press briefing today, Jen Psaki was asked if Biden was considering sharing part of the U.S. COVID-19 vaccine supply with allies. "No," she replied.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #1335
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What a shocker.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #1336
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization came out with their recommendations for the Oxford vaccine:

-12-week interval recommended
-not recommended for use in 65+ year olds due to lack of efficacy data in that age group.
I'm healthy and in my 30s. Put Astra Zeneca in my body please.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #1337
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm healthy and in my 30s. Put Astra Zeneca in my body please.
I'll be lining up. I'd wager a moderate amount that the AZ will be in pharmacies for general population outside the rollout. If so, I'll get mine as soon as I can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: