Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2022, 11:33 PM   #1621
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 'Thin Blue Line' mentality is dangerous. Its dangerous because it creates an 'Us vs. Them' mentality which is inherently contradictory to 'Protect and Serve' because in this context 'Them' is....well...Us.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 07:11 AM   #1622
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I've thought of the thin blue line thing as a way of expressing that cops will protect cops, not explicitly saying it but still implying and justice is not equal for officers because the enforcement arm of the law will rally around them. It's kind of like all of those back in blue stickers indicating certain vehicles are exempt from traffic enforcement.

To me it's a shockingly cynical statement, and the last time I was in the southern US is was pretty disturbing to see the shear number of thin blue line / thin red line flags. Telling me the enforcement arm of the state puts a much lower value on those of us who aren't part of their club.
Yeah. I've always heard and felt the thin blue line is the police version of Omertà.
No ratting out your fellow cops no matter what they do.
There are tons of stories of what happens to cops who don't toe the thin blue line.
totally an us vs them thing. protect your own.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:15 AM   #1623
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think the phrase is tainted with the longstanding "code of silence" implication and the flag/pin/patch is further tainted with it's appropriation by people and groups opposed to racial justice.

Honestly, I think they should just ban all pieces of individual flair. They're a police service not a real world Chotchkie's... make your uniforms uniform.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #1624
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think the phrase is tainted with the longstanding "code of silence" implication and the flag/pin/patch is further tainted with it's appropriation by people and groups opposed to racial justice.

Honestly, I think they should just ban all pieces of individual flair. They're a police service not a real world Chotchkie's... make your uniforms uniform.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #1625
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one happened, I see.
Woman was stalked by a guy in a truck, masterbating, she called 911 and the Calgary cops didn't bother to show up.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 04-09-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:20 PM   #1626
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Woman was stalked by a guy in a truck, masterbating, she called 911 and the Calgary cops didn't bother to show up.
Cops say they charged the guy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #1627
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why would you stick around to see if the cops showed up?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:45 PM   #1628
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why would you stick around to see if the cops showed up?
The issue is it seems the cops didn't seemingly want to respond to the call. Wouldn't you like to know why they didn't?

Someone calls 911, the response shouldn't be " do you really need us to show up?"
Old 04-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #1629
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

So did they show or not? Surely they must have if the guy was charged?
How do you know what was in the queue at the time of the call?
Old 04-09-2022, 10:51 PM   #1630
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is it seems the cops didn't seemingly want to respond to the call. Wouldn't you like to know why they didn't?

Someone calls 911, the response shouldn't be " do you really need us to show up?"

I had to look up the incident. If it’s the one with the long wait before police came to get a statement, then yeah that’s pretty messed up. If there were officers nearby and no-one responded until 45 minutes later, especially downtown, then there are either some serious logistics problems or a serious attitude problem with CPS officers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:56 PM   #1631
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ok before we start in with the victim blaming here’s some more detail. It’s not a good look for the CPS. But I guess they’ve got bigger issues on their hands, like coordinating flair. The only reason they found the guy is she took down his license plate.

here’s the actual TikTok she made.

https://www.tiktok.com/@macjeanjorda...ial_sharing=v1

Quote:
She said she heard the dispatcher confirm an officer would be there.

Forty minutes passed.

“Finally a police officer calls her and says, ‘Can we do this over the phone?’ I heard that through the phone myself,” Walsh said.

“We were both shocked because it was very clear from the beginning that we needed a police car on-site and she needed to get home safe. And it was clear to us that this wasn’t a priority.”

Walsh is a bystander who decided to help the woman when the police refused to show up.

Quote:
Walsh said the woman asked if an officer was still coming.

“He said, ‘Well, someone can come. You know, I can come I guess, I just started my shift though. Did the dispatcher say someone was coming?'”

The woman, reeling from what just happened, decided to file a report later.

Walsh, who stayed with the woman until a friend arrived to drive her home, said she has filed a formal complaint against the Calgary police.
https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...3-aa5f2ffd4d95
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 10:57 PM   #1632
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a pretty serious logistical breakdown then, wow
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:11 PM   #1633
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might remind folks to remember that you are getting less than half of the full story, and you are getting the part best designed to appeal to your emotions.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:39 PM   #1634
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’d love to hear how it could be less than half. Seems pretty cut and dry. You have an independent witness saying she heard the police officer say he didn’t want to attend the scene. Doesn’t leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Can this be done over the phone?

No, I’d like an officer to attend the scene.

Ok, I’ll be there in xx minutes.

Done. No news story. No complaint. No women feeling unsafe and unsupported by the police.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 11:41 PM   #1635
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I might remind folks to remember that you are getting less than half of the full story, and you are getting the part best designed to appeal to your emotions.
Yeah? In a situation as detailed like this, why would a car not be sent?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:03 AM   #1636
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I had one of those officers in my shop this week with the Canadian flag and a blue line through it. Fataing pathetic. What an embarrassment. I swear some of these guys think they're Rambo parachuting into a hostile jungle. You're in fataing Calgary. Give me a break. It's a job. Do it and then go home. You're not a fataing super hero standing between Calgarians and our own demise. Like, can you please not deface the Canadian flag with your bloviating stupidity and just wear the uniform sans flair?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 AM   #1637
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have met cool cops, btw. It's just this thin blue line thing was always cringe, but snowflaking around because your governing body wants it gone and you won't comply is literally pathetic.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 AM   #1638
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d love to hear how it could be less than half. Seems pretty cut and dry. You have an independent witness saying she heard the police officer say he didn’t want to attend the scene. Doesn’t leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Can this be done over the phone?

No, I’d like an officer to attend the scene.

Ok, I’ll be there in xx minutes.

Done. No news story. No complaint. No women feeling unsafe and unsupported by the police.
Her problem was the wait time. However, since she was no longer in danger, the offender was gone, all the pertinent info was acquired (through the 911 call), she is considered to be 'safe', so the call goes lower on the triage list. So she's going to end up waiting until an officer is free, which is an unpredictable amount of time.

She can't be given a specific time frame when an officer will be there because that time can't be predicted. Heck, we (911) used to close out our calls with "An officer will be dispatched as soon as possible, one should be in contact with you in anywhere from 5 minutes up to five hours." but we had to stop doing that, because folks would call after 5 hours assuming police forgot about them. Now we just say "an officer will be dispatched as soon as possible."

I don't know the exact conversation between the officer and her, so I can't (and wouldn't anyhow) comment on that. However, I have been on the 'officer side' of the call plenty of times (as C911 often makes these calls for the officer).

I imagine that when an officer was finally freed up to speak to her, he called her to see if A) she was still there, and B) she still wanted to see police in person or was ok with doing a report over the phone/email. Because it is quite common for people who have been waiting for more than 15 minutes to go someplace else (going to sit in a nearby Tims for instance). It's also not uncommon for folks to realize that they don't want to see police, especially if they can provide a statement over the phone or by email.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 04-10-2022 at 12:09 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 12:07 AM   #1639
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Yeah? In a situation as detailed like this, why would a car not be sent?
Because she's safe, the bad guy has left the scene, and all the necessary backend investigative work can be done in the patrol car or district office. The officer can get her statement by phone or email.

If there's one thing that COVID has done, it's made a lot of police services realize that there is a LOT that they can do electronically, and emailing of witness statements is a huge one.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 04-10-2022 at 12:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 01:02 AM   #1640
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I have met cool cops, btw. It's just this thin blue line thing was always cringe, but snowflaking around because your governing body wants it gone and you won't comply is literally pathetic.
I really don't understand the process commencing over this right now. You're a police force and were told you can't put an extra badge on your uniform that isn't part of the standard uniform?

It represents some pretty ****ty things in North America, everyone knows that. So they're told they can't wear them. Awesome, easy peasy, done. Then suddenly I read that the police don't like that and are upset and therefore they have called off the directive to remove the badges?

Like, I really don't understand how this is allowed? Even Mcdonalds employees can't wear a badge that has nothing to do with their standard uniform, and if hundreds of McDonalds employees banded together and said we all like this badge, it means something to us, that would change nothing. The badges would be off or the employees wouldn't be working there. So baffling to me.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-10-2022 at 09:35 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: