Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #421
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Just saw these posts and can't comment on if they demanded ID.. but can back up the claim Subban and others were there that night. The girlfriend and I walked in sometime around 4:30 (give or take) just as three gang suppression officers were walking out.
I still think if it happened as flaming homer said, a public issue would have been made of it. profiling, and Subban the sole person who got asked for ID and giving him a hard time?

more like someone made an assumption out of nothing. odds are the cops were giving him a hard time about his trade, or something. at worst.

cops do enough stuff on their own. they don't need people making things up.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #422
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Sounds a little condescending in itself. Hysterical woman needs to settle down a bit.
he might as well added "maybe she's having her period"
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #423
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Why? Was she drinking cranberry juice?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 02-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #424
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry folks. I was there...sitting two chairs down from the crying officer as the Chief came over to her. He was oblivious somewhat to the optics but I heard him essentially pleading with her to have some time to help her.

It was a sincere attempt to prevent someone from walking away from a career in policing (note that police officers are public office holders with government appointments...you can't just re-hire someone after their resignation is made formal).

I agree his on camera comments came across as though he disrespected her and her decision to resign but that is not what I saw happening.

This Chief is not nearly as media savvy as his predecessors but so far from what I have seen he makes up for that by being far more honest and sincere in trying to do the right thing.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #425
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Sorry folks. I was there...sitting two chairs down from the crying officer as the Chief came over to her. He was oblivious somewhat to the optics but I heard him essentially pleading with her to have some time to help her.
he's had years to help her and others in the same situation.

in his own words.

“[We are] three years into the work now making sure we understand exactly where the issues lie and how to start fixing them."

so he basically said three years in and the CPS hasn't done anything.

his words now to her are too little, too late.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #426
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't let me quote your post GordonBlue but Chaffin has only been in his position since the end of 2015.

I see nothing wrong with telling her to give him a little more time before he accepts her resignation. Either he makes some headway and things progress for women in the police force, or nothing changes and he looks like a dummy for not doing anything.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #427
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post

It was a sincere attempt to prevent someone from walking away from a career in policing (note that police officers are public office holders with government appointments...you can't just re-hire someone after their resignation is made formal).

I agree his on camera comments came across as though he disrespected her and her decision to resign but that is not what I saw happening.

This Chief is not nearly as media savvy as his predecessors but so far from what I have seen he makes up for that by being far more honest and sincere in trying to do the right thing.
I'm really happy to hear someone like you say that. I hope CPS can earn back a little faith from the public.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #428
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
he's had years to help her and others in the same situation.

in his own words.

“[We are] three years into the work now making sure we understand exactly where the issues lie and how to start fixing them."

so he basically said three years in and the CPS hasn't done anything.

his words now to her are too little, too late.
Personally I agree with you. He was Deputy Chief for years before becoming Chief and all together has been part of the problem for 30 plus years that he has been a CPS officer. (It is noteworthy the Chief himself says this publicly...he takes full responsibility for the current situation because he has been there for his entire career). I think the female officer will not be changing her mind exactly because it is too little to late for her.

But...and this is huge...she posed a question to the Chief and the Commission at the end of her resignation speech...which was to ask what were they going to do to prevent more resignations in the future by sworn and civilian women like her. And she thanked the Chair of the Commission for his responses which included recognizing the Chief for the hard work that has been going into changing the culture of the organization.

Yes it is too little too late for her. But even she sees it is not too late for many who will come after her. Chaffin does not get absolved of his past failings but a different Chief may well have no priority to change things going forward. So far, by my observations, he deserves credit for trying to do the right thing now.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #429
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like a simple mistake being blown out of proportion. Could happen to anyone in any job.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...card-1.3965620

Quote:
A Calgary police officer who has been on the force for 21 years has been charged with fraud.

A fellow officer noticed a suspicious charge on his personal credit card — which was traced back to Const. Chris Sudu, 48, who had once worked with the officer.

After an investigation by the force's internal anti-corruption unit — and consultations with the Edmonton Crown prosecution office — Sudu was charged with fraud under $5,000.

It was determined to be a one-time incident and the officer is co-operating, police say.

Sudu, who was already on an unrelated leave, remains off the job.

The CPS professional standards section will conduct its own probe once the criminal process is finished, police say.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #430
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ not sure if serious.

How can it happen to anyone? Pretty sure I couldn't just magically punch in my buddies credit card number instead of mine when buying something online.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #431
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
^ not sure if serious.

How can it happen to anyone? Pretty sure I couldn't just magically punch in my buddies credit card number instead of mine when buying something online.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #432
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's what I thought initially but taco is pretty pro-police so not exactly sure.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #433
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Sounds like a simple mistake being blown out of proportion. Could happen to anyone in any job.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...card-1.3965620
He was already on 'unrelated leave.'

Man, I need a job where they pay me to stay home. I would love that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #434
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

13 Calgary police employees file bullying, harassment complaints

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...inst-the-force
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #435
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition to,the above, there was also another police officer charged with drug related offences today. The officer claims it is a case of entrapment.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...dercover-sting

When I started this thread I did not think the force was as much of a mess as it seems to be.

I can't help but wonder if the force has been a mess since the days of chief silverberg or if it started after her.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #436
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sexual harassment and bullying a problem in Calgary? Must be all those new refugee police officers. Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed. It even effects the 911 call Center.

They haven't adapted to our culture.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #437
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should the above be in green text, or am I missing something about the hiring process?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #438
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at this from outside through the media;

I see this current Chief's role as short lived. He's allowed an amnesty environment, for complaints to move forward -- something we've never really seen from our CPS, and of great benefit. That said, does he suddenly invoke radical change management? I've yet to see change -- albeit the ability for officers/CPS staff to have a complaint channel, that appears to finally have receptive ears.

His 30 yrs tenure builds a lot of habits, and old process. I think he fosters this new open communication he's built, into a new Chief in ~18 months.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #439
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I may add, "complaints finally have receptive ears", utilized both media & legal pressure.
Not quite the resounding accolade it should be perceived as.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #440
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine that it will take a very long time to change the culture of the police force as whole - it is 2017, men and women should be able to work together without it turning into a hot mess especially for the females