Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #421
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take it at face value, but the showrunners are promising substantial payoffs and answers with the season finale:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/28...alflow_twitter

Quote:
Next week’s season finale of HBO’s Westworld isn’t going to leave us hanging – at least, not about most of the show’s biggest mysteries.

Showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy assure EW that the final two episodes (including Sunday’s hour and next week’s first season closer) will pay off for fans who have been trying to unravel their tightly plotted storylines.

“We weren’t interested in spinning out mysteries with no answers in sight,” Nolan said. “Our goal is to tell an ambitious story in season-long chapters, each with a distinct feel and theme.”

Added Joy: “Most of the questions viewers have will be resolved in the final episodes, except for the most important one: What happens next.”

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #422
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My bet is Arnold himself told Delores to kill him for some dramatic reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #423
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Take it at face value, but the showrunners are promising substantial payoffs and answers with the season finale:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/28...alflow_twitter
Interesting thing about substantial payoffs and answers: it may substantially reduce my interest in the show (not to say that it would be a bad thing).

To explain... I realized during the last episode that I keep watching solely because I want answers to the mysteries, not because I care about any of the characters. A prime example was the finale to Bernard's faceoff with Ford: Bernard was going through some serious emotional revelations (and some serious acting!) during hes final memories, and in particular coming to grips with the role the memory his son's death played in shaping him, but all I cared about was whether Barnard was Arnold (or his pseudo-reincarnation). And after that revelation, I wasn't really moved by him shooting himself; both because I had nothing emotionally invested in him, and because the show has established that there really is no true death for hosts.

Similarly, I don't really care about William or the MIB, and what happns to their characters per se, I only care if they are one and the same, and what the maze is (if and when the MIB finds it).

If they answer the remaining mysteries, and season 2 just promises more of these characters, none of whom I really care about, I'm not sure I'll be too psyched about season 2.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #424
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm in the same camp I care about the mysteries and secrets not the characters especially as Mike F says the synths can easily be re-spawned. For a show that is doing a deep dive into the essence of what being alive means there is a distinct lack of emotional connections. The most interesting thing to me is how the synths will go about getting their revenge which is sparsely explored.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #425
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #426
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Maybe killin' is the last rite of initiation to seal in the humanity.

I know it worked good for me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #427
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I'm in the same camp I care about the mysteries and secrets not the characters especially as Mike F says the synths can easily be re-spawned. For a show that is doing a deep dive into the essence of what being alive means there is a distinct lack of emotional connections. The most interesting thing to me is how the synths will go about getting their revenge which is sparsely explored.
Im of the view that the mysteries aren't really that mysterious. I would say that most of the significant items in the mystery are resolved. For me it's the characters particular the droids that are compelling.

I didn't find Bernard's death crushing but instead the fact that Ford and Bernard have had this conversation with Bernard gaining self awareness only to have it ripped away by Ford repeatedly. Same with Delores' and the Maze where in yet another loop she makes it to the church only to have the whole thing reset and start over. It's like the end 1984.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #428
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did Delores kill Arnold knowingly, or was she programmed by someone(Ford?) to do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think it will be one of three things...

1. Ford took control of Dolores and had her kill Arnold. The problem with this is that when he was talking to her a few episodes ago, he seemed genuinely curious about what happened when Arnold was killed. Of course, that could have just been a test (like showing Bernard the photo of Arnold) to see if Dolores was properly suppressing her knowledge of Arnold's death.

2. Arnold was distraught after his son's death (I'm assuming that Bernard's backstory was based on Arnold's actual history), was suicidal, and had Dolores kill him. He either couldn't bring himself to do it, or he wanted it to look like an accident either to ensure his wife received an insurance payout, or so that she wouldn't know he had done it.

3. Arnold gave Dolores self-awareness and she realized that the hosts are essentially slaves forced into an unending loop with no chance for escape, so she decided to destroy them all, and herself, as well as their creator/slaver.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #429
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the impression Bernard's backstory was fabricated, because Ford said Arnold had trauma in his past, but didn't mention similarities or a child. I'm guessing Arnold's trauma would have been more complicated or harder to use to form Bernard's personality, so Ford made a more direct one that had the effect he wanted.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM   #430
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think Arnold's mistake will be something small. Like she was set to evil instead of good...

Old 11-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #431
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did Delores kill Arnold knowingly, or was she programmed by someone(Ford?) to do it?
Wasn't Delores on one of the drawings when Bernard kills Teresa?
My thoughts are that she's actually Ford's creation and controlled by him.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #432
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm avoiding spoilers and haven't seen anything since episode three.

Deadwood struck me as a vastly superior show based in the old west - is Westworld worth catching up on, or would I be better off starting The Sopranos? (Which I've never seen either)
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #433
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Deadwood struck me as a vastly superior show based in the old west - is Westworld worth catching up on, or would I be better off starting The Sopranos? (Which I've never seen either)
Westworld isn't actually set in the Old West.....

.....oops should have spoiler tagged that one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #434
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Westworld isn't actually set in the Old West.....

.....oops should have spoiler tagged that one.
I suppose I walked right into that...

Let me rephrase: a show about the actual old West with Ian McShane dropping ten c***suckers an episode in the midst of Shakespearean verse is way more interesting to me than Jurassic Park with sexbots.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #435
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose I walked right into that...

Let me rephrase: a show about the actual old West with Ian McShane dropping ten c***suckers an episode in the midst of Shakespearean verse is way more interesting to me than Jurassic Park with sexbots.
Deadwood is my favorite show of all time, but I am really enjoying Westworld. Mostly because I acknowledge it isn't a Western, and I love identity philosophy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #436
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think it will be one of three things...

1. Ford took control of Dolores and had her kill Arnold. The problem with this is that when he was talking to her a few episodes ago, he seemed genuinely curious about what happened when Arnold was killed. Of course, that could have just been a test (like showing Bernard the photo of Arnold) to see if Dolores was properly suppressing her knowledge of Arnold's death.

2. Arnold was distraught after his son's death (I'm assuming that Bernard's backstory was based on Arnold's actual history), was suicidal, and had Dolores kill him. He either couldn't bring himself to do it, or he wanted it to look like an accident either to ensure his wife received an insurance payout, or so that she wouldn't know he had done it.

3. Arnold gave Dolores self-awareness and she realized that the hosts are essentially slaves forced into an unending loop with no chance for escape, so she decided to destroy them all, and herself, as well as their creator/slaver.
3 is interesting and fits with Delores' line of Our world is beautiful it's you who come in and ruin it.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #437
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you like the Asimov robot stories like I robot and Bicentential man and like pondering the questions of what is consciousness and what differentiates AI from humans it's an excellent show.

Really if you like most sci-fi it is similar in themes
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #438
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FWIW, my wife hate sci fi and westerns, and she loves this show more than i do.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #439
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not so sure Elsie is alive. The look on Bernard's face while he was choking her was the same remorseless yet purposeful look as when he killed Theresa. Wouldn't have taken him long to choke her our or break her neck. Would be sloppy of Ford to not account for her body.

Boy the more this show fills in the blanks the more questions become unanswered. I hope 90 minutes is enough time for proper closure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #440
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I was killing some time and started reading some WW articles. I'll put it in spoiler tags even though I don't think there is anything too wild or spoilery. Most of it is just random observations, not real theories.

Spoiler!