Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #161
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich has played 28 games and will hit 30 at the break. My guess is he finishes the season at somewhere around 52-54 games, which is pretty reasonable.

Hopefully the Flames are in a position to rest him down the stretch, which would be even better.

All of this assumes (and hopes for) no injuries of course.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #162
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Man as much of a character Rittich is he's a great guy.
He brought his younger brother Thomas, who has autism, to a Flames practice so that he was able to meet Harvey the Hound.

https://www.nhl.com/app/flames/news/...ve/c-304030802

Great read and it's just a sweet video to watch him meet Harvey.

I'm not crying! You're crying!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #163
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim Thomas played 82 games overall in 2010-2011. He was 36. Quick played 89 games in 2011-2012. Both Thomas and Quick had amazing stats and won cups.

I'm not too worried about resting Rittich. In fact, I think that's pretty ridiculous.
Rittich is 26, not 62.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #164
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Tim Thomas played 82 games overall in 2010-2011. He was 36. Quick played 89 games in 2011-2012. Both Thomas and Quick had amazing stats and won cups.

I'm not too worried about resting Rittich. In fact, I think that's pretty ridiculous.
Rittich is 26, not 62.
Quick hasn't been healthy since.

55 games should be the max.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #165
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ this is an argument which is basically like an old wives’ tale that people embrace with religious fervour.

So many players play all 82 games without getting ‘burnt out’. So many goalies want to play every game.

There are articles where guys have broken down save percentages by blocks of games, for several goalies who played over 70 games, and they don’t get worse over the year when a goalie plays a lot.

The best argument I see that I can agree with is that you basically need a guy who could play at a NHL level if your starter should get hurt, or gets in a funk.

Whatever. 55 is the best.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #166
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Rittich is 26, not 62.
Those are also the only two 'elite' level goalies to have won cups in the last 15 years...

The rest of the winners were good to very good to very very good (Fleury, Holtby, Giguere, Khabi). In most cases, these guys have started 65+ in other seasons, yet their teams didn't achieve the same levels in those years. Of course you can't definitively say it's causation and not just coincidental correlation, but the evidence is growing that it's the former.

So the whole point of my post is that isn't worth investing your teams assets and/or cap space too heavily on a #1 goalie...which tends to result in a cheaper, less capable backup, which forces you to ride your #1 guy too hard (also essentially puts your teams fortunes into one egg basket, where a bad year or injury de-rails everything).

So in answer to the thread question, Rittich is at least 50% of the answer. It's possible he's a good enough goalie to warrant 70 starts a year. But there is zero benefit to moving in that direction, both for performance and contract reasons. The team should continue to try to answer the other 50% of the equation, but without spending (m)any assets to do so.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #167
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Hockey News has Rittich ranked 5th among NHL starters.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...nders-stack-up
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #168
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got a notification on my phone from The Score. It's an article about Vezina Trophy Power Rankings, and it has Rittich in at #5.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #169
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
Just got a notification on my phone from The Score. It's an article about Vezina Trophy Power Rankings, and it has Rittich in at #5.
Just popped in here to post that too

Quote:
In fact, Rittich's .918 save percentage is tied for the fifth-highest mark in a season by a Flames netminder over the past 20 years. The four spots ahead of him are all occupied by Kiprusoff.
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/17...ompelling-case
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #170
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So with Florida clearing cap space for next year with today's trade, there's rumors that they will take a hard run at Bobrovsky (and Panarin) in the off-season. If that were to happen, they would obviously have to move out either Lou or Reimer.

What would anyone think of Reimer for a capable backup for Rittich? Something along a 52/30 game split.

Two more years at $3.4M seems like a reasonable stop gap with a low acquisition cost.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #171
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
So with Florida clearing cap space for next year with today's trade, there's rumors that they will take a hard run at Bobrovsky (and Panarin) in the off-season. If that were to happen, they would obviously have to move out either Lou or Reimer.

What would anyone think of Reimer for a capable backup for Rittich? Something along a 52/30 game split.

Two more years at $3.4M seems like a reasonable stop gap with a low acquisition cost.
Not a bad idea although his numbers have been poor this year.
Cam Talbot may come at a similar cap hit and i feel he would be even better.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big , dave , save