Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #1661
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's good whenever Neal gets on the scoresheet. With Bennett and Jankowski finding ways to contribute more consistently now it's on Neal to find his game as well. I really like those three as a line as their skills compliment each other, at least in theory, and I hope they can start to click in the second half of the season.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #1662
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I read the post perfectly fine. It was just a terrible suggestion. No reason to spend valuable assets to trade a player when we don't even need the cap space.
Does Carolina accept this trade?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #1663
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Of course Carolina accepts that trade. Because that trade is so stupidly lopsided that every single team in the league would take it and run.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #1664
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Of course Carolina accepts that trade. Because that trade is so stupidly lopsided that every single team in the league would take it and run.
Oh good to know, thanks.

So what is the minimum it would take to offload Neal. Nobody is taking over this contract for free. Neal + 2nd for a 7th, would that work?

And when you think about that, to help get some objectivity in your analysis...think about What would Edmonton have to package along with Lucic to get that player off the books?

I think you’re drastically underestimating what a horrible contract we have on the books.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #1665
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need to see another season of Neal. Plus, we might even get an injury in the top 6 and are going to need him.

The likelihood of him playing better is smaller than before, but I am also counting the fact that his resume shows that he can score and he should be scoring more here.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #1666
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Oh good to know, thanks.

So what is the minimum it would take to offload Neal. Nobody is taking over this contract for free. Neal + 2nd for a 7th, would that work?

And when you think about that, to help get some objectivity in your analysis...think about What would Edmonton have to package along with Lucic to get that player off the books?

I think you’re drastically underestimating what a horrible contract we have on the books.
The problem is that you are asking a question that doesn't need answering.
Everyone would agree that right now would be the worst time to trade him - he's been playing badly and has the most term remaining.
If we agree with that very basic premise, it is a waste of time to try to answer your question because it would be irrational for the Flames to try and off load him.
There's nothing worse than someone lecturing others on objectivity when they have a clear axe to grind themselves.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #1667
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Everyone would agree that right now would be the worst time to trade him - he's been playing badly and has the most term remaining.
If we agree with that very basic premise, it is a waste of time to try to answer your question because it would be irrational for the Flames to try and off load him.
There's nothing worse than someone lecturing others on objectivity when they have a clear axe to grind themselves.
Yes. Talk about selling low - this is as low as it gets, with decent possibility of improvement, and with no pressing need to do the trade.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #1668
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

When would the Seattle draft be? After next season?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #1669
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
When would the Seattle draft be? After next season?
Summer 2021
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #1670
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I take it from your post that you don’t think any team would take James Neal if we packaged him with a second, yet the poster above thinks adding a prospect to that deal would be a RIDICULOUS OVERPAYMENT and every team makes that trade. So what is a realistic trade that gets this done.

Im concerned that we will be stuck here in 5 years time lamenting the fact that we’ve missed our window. Not in my wildest dreams were the flames a Stanley cup contender this year...and I doubt you would have thought so either. These chances don’t come along every day for teams like ours.

Wouldn’t it be nice to free up some cap space to add a Stone or a Taresenko type player...we can’t do that now because we don’t have cap space, which is why I’m simply posing the question about what it would take to remove James Neal’s cap hit.

Now, if you think that it would take something like my initial scenario then that’s fine, perhaps it’s not worth it. But if Resolute14 thinks it would take significantly less than that to get the cap hit off the books, wouldn’t you want to explore it?

So Resolute 14...if my scenario was a Rudiculous overpayment, what would another team accept that was less of an overpayment?

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 01-10-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #1671
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I take it from your post that you don’t think any team would take James Neal if we packaged him with a second, yet the poster above thinks adding a prospect to that deal would be a RIDICULOUS OVERPAYMENT and every team makes that trade. So what is a realistic trade that gets this done.

Im concerned that we will be stuck here in 5 years time lamenting the fact that we’ve missed our window. Not in my wildest dreams were the flames a Stanley cup contender this year...and I doubt you would have thought so either. These chances don’t come along every day for teams like ours.

Wouldn’t it be nice to free up some cap space to add a Stone or a Taresenko type player...we can’t do that now because we don’t have cap space, which is why I’m simply posing the question about what it would take to remove James Neal’s cap hit.

Now, if you think that it would take something like my initial scenario then that’s fine, perhaps it’s not worth it. But if Resolute14 thinks it would take significantly less than that to get the cap hit off the books, wouldn’t you want to explore it?

So Resolute 14...if my scenario was a Rudiculous overpayment, what would another team accept that was less of an overpayment?

The trade proposals are ridiculous because the notion of the Flames trying to trade him now is ridiculous.
So a ridiculous premise will result in ridiculous answers which is why most people are choosing not to play your game and try to answer.
I'm not too concerned about adding a guy like Stone or Tarasenko as I don't view cap space being the only challenge there. I don't think the Flames have the assets to get such deals done.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #1672
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first half of this season has been very free wheeling. A lot of skill players are going to hit career highs and we have seen a lot of games played at a very fast pace.

I imagine things are going to tighten up a lot in the second half and especially in the playoffs and the game will get a lot heavier and likely slower.

I'm hoping that when the game slows down a bit, Neal will be more effective a player.

I know there is the argument that Neal played on one of the fastest teams last year in Vegas and had success, but the difference is that Vegas was the fast team and everyone else was still playing a slower game. This year, everyone has taken Vegas blueprint and ALL the teams are playing with a quicker pace and you can really notice the players who are not as fleet of foot.

I'm not going to harp on Neal too much, but I expect and am hoping that he will be a significant contributor down the stretch and in the playoffs (if they make it).
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #1673
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
It’ll be a sprint to the fax machine for Lucic and Neal when the compliance buyout window opens for Seattle expansion.
There is no guarantee that there will be a compliance buyout period. They just may extend it and that would mean no compliance buyout period.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #1674
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The trade proposals are ridiculous because the notion of the Flames trying to trade him now is ridiculous.
So a ridiculous premise will result in ridiculous answers which is why most people are choosing not to play your game and try to answer.
I'm not too concerned about adding a guy like Stone or Tarasenko as I don't view cap space being the only challenge there. I don't think the Flames have the assets to get such deals done.
I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all to explore the options to make this team better in the short term to exploit our window.

Now A LOT of people have been defending Neal and saying he will get better, if this is true, surely one of the other 30 GM’s will agree

Resolute 14 seems to think that we can get rid of Neal’s contract for significantly less than a 2nd and a prospect. I’m interested to understand where he/she thinks this trade will get done.

Jiri, If you were BT, would you package Neal with a second to get the cap hit off the books? Yes or no?

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 01-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #1675
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only realistic Neal trade scenarios at this time are for a similar underperforming, overpaid player. And even then, you really only consider it if he is being a problem on the team of which there is no indication.

To offload assets to dump Neal, and then offload further assets to acquire another big salary player is the kind of overpayment that cripples the team going forward.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #1676
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jiri, If you were BT, would you package Neal with a second to get the cap hit off the books? Yes or no?
No I would not. It would be a knee jerk reaction and short-term thinking.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #1677
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, if we had to endure Troy Brouwerplay for two years before they do anything about it, you can rest assured they won't do anything about James Neal for two years.

No one is trading James Neal in year 1 or even 2 of his 5 year deal.
Suck it up, deal with it.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #1678
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames won't be paying any team to take Neal until they're forced to by cap or budget constraints, or another reason we don't know about.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #1679
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
The Flames won't be paying any team to take Neal until they're forced to by cap or budget constraints, or another reason we don't know about.
Which is an entirely plausible scenario starting next year.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #1680
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Lol, if we had to endure Troy Brouwerplay for two years before they do anything about it, you can rest assured they won't do anything about James Neal for two years.

No one is trading James Neal in year 1 or even 2 of his 5 year deal.
Suck it up, deal with it.
Two things I think could happen with Neal for him to be traded this summer.

1) Neal does absolutely nothing rest of the season and playoffs
2) Flames get swept in the first round (This could be many changes just not Neal)
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote