Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Cleaning Services...

Has anyone here ever hired a maid service before?

I'm throwing a party at a buddies place on the 25th and I told him I'd hire a maid service to come clean up before and after the party as it's cheaper than renting a hall. The thing is, the place is a mess as it's in the middle of renos. I plan on going and cleaning up the big stuff myself and would just want the maid(s) to clean the washrooms and then vacuum, mop and dust the main floor but that would still be a lot as there is a lot of drywall dust and crap everywhere.

So a couple questions...

A) How much $$$ do you think I'd be looking at?
B) How early do I need to book them?
C) Any Recommendations?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do some consulting for a maid outfit, based on their prices probably $40-50 an hour per maid, for however long it took.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I do some consulting for a maid outfit, based on their prices probably $40-50 an hour per maid, for however long it took.
Awesome. Any ideas if they have a minimum rate?

Honestly I'd be shocked if it took two maids longer than 2 hours. It's only a main floor.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this is helpful, but I'm moving into a new home and booked a maid cleaning for about 2000 sq ft, including 2.5 baths (I assume the bathrooms take longer). The quote was around $500 - $600. So for a main floor and likley 1.5 bathrooms or less, my guess would be $200 or so.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Not sure if this is helpful, but I'm moving into a new home and booked a maid cleaning for about 2000 sq ft, including 2.5 baths (I assume the bathrooms take longer). The quote was around $500 - $600. So for a main floor and likley 1.5 bathrooms or less, my guess would be $200 or so.
Awesome that's good to hear.

Did it sound like you needed a lot of notice?
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Good Lord man, our cleaning lady charges $130 for the exact same thing. Who are you hiring, that maid outfit with the girls in Bikinis?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good Lord man, our cleaning lady charges $130 for the exact same thing. Who are you hiring, that maid outfit with the girls in Bikinis?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Single cleanings (especially move in or move out type) are always more expensive than regular weekly or bi weekly cleanings.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I dont know more. There was a thread about it a few years ago I think.

I think women cleaning your house (read:toilets) in bikinis is kind of gross. And either way, when the cleaning lady shows up its easier for everyone if we're not home.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Awesome. Any ideas if they have a minimum rate?

Honestly I'd be shocked if it took two maids longer than 2 hours. It's only a main floor.
I don't know about a minimum rate but I just talked to them, $110 an hour for a one time clean, for 2 maids.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I don't know about a minimum rate but I just talked to them, $110 an hour for a one time clean, for 2 maids.
That seems to be the going rate. I know a couple people who have cleaners and it's usually 110-140 per cleaning. Not sure how many maids it takes though
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do some kijiji digging mang.

I don't think you should be paying more then $20-30 dollars per maid per hour.

I'd lean towards foreign workers as well. In my experience they do twice the work in the same amount of time.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Ours comes every 2 weeks, cleans for 5 hours, $120.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess I should have been clear that this was a move-in cleaning and we are getting the works including moving appliances, wipe down of all surfaces and walls, etc. I guess I was trying to say there is no way it'd be more than that, and based on his needs $200 should be the cap for cost.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Has anyone here ever hired a maid service before?

I'm throwing a party at a buddies place on the 25th and I told him I'd hire a maid service to come clean up before and after the party as it's cheaper than renting a hall. The thing is, the place is a mess as it's in the middle of renos. I plan on going and cleaning up the big stuff myself and would just want the maid(s) to clean the washrooms and then vacuum, mop and dust the main floor but that would still be a lot as there is a lot of drywall dust and crap everywhere.
If the house is in the middle of reno's and there is alot of drywall dust to clean up, don't be surprised if they want to charge you for some sort of construction clean. That isn't "normal" conditions for a house clean so your price might be more because of it.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got a move-out cleaning (vacuuming, bathrooms, cleaning of appliances etc) from a Philipino girl off of Kijiji and she charged $25 per hour. The place was absolutely spotless, but it took 4 hours as it was just her working. PM me if interested and I can forward her number.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
If the house is in the middle of reno's and there is alot of drywall dust to clean up, don't be surprised if they want to charge you for some sort of construction clean. That isn't "normal" conditions for a house clean so your price might be more because of it.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. Kind of annoying since I don't want them to do anything special. Vacuum, Mop and dust the counters...

But I digress.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are pros and cons in terms of trust level of using a service but I prefer a private person to do it. There are lots of housekeepers who run their own businesses at far lower rates than the agencies and as individuals they make more. If a company is charging fifty their staff is getting $20 or less. Probably less. If you pay a private person $30 per hour you are both ahead.

The problem is finding one you can trust. To do that (without trying to sound racist here) ask people you know who are involved with the Filipino and Asian communities as there are many individuals in these communities who are running their own private cleaning businesses. And getting a recommendation from someone you trust alleviates a lot of the fear of theft issues a random off kijiji entails.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a house cleaner, someone who will come every three weeks to do two and a half bathrooms, the kitchen, vacuum & wash floors, and a few other small things.

Anyone have anyone they would like to share, please PM me. I live in Aspen, in the SW.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #20
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

Looking for a good house cleaner to come every 2 to 3 weeks and clean 2 bathrooms, kitchen, floors, in a 1,500 SF house. Would prefer to work with a private person who ideally is a foreign worker.

I live in Ramsay. Shoot me a PM if you know someone.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote