Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #3801
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
It is crazy how much Hamonic turned his game around.

He's been amazing and really helps Hanifin settle in and play a strong puck moving game.

This trade is working out incredibly well.
I don't think it's all that amazing. He got off to a slow start in Calgary, but the whole team was playing under a cloud in the Gulutzan era. He and his partner both struggled.

But he was a very good player before he came to Calgary, this isn't some new revelation. I look at it more as a bad season, which everyone goes through. And even at that, he got better as last season went on. It's more like a really bad half-season.

And now he is back to form. And playing with confidence. This is the Hamonic Treliving traded for.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #3802
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lindholm has been unbelievable this year, both offensively and defensively. He is, without question, playing well enough to be in the Selke conversation. However, there are 2 reasons why I don't believe he has a snowball's chance in hell:

1) he isn't a C.
2) he doesn't have a track record - the Selke, like the Norris, is often a cumulative prize.

And I'll add a 3rd: with Gaudreau, Giordano, and Peters all deserving, and getting consideration (assuming things remain the same, and obviously there is a lot of hockey left), I don't think there would be any appetite to add a 4th Flame to the awards conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt Lindholm gets serious consideration for the Selke this year. It's a reputation award. Players only get nominated once they've been on the radar as an elite defensive forward for a few years. And they rarely win until they've been nominated a couple times first.
Selke doesn’t usually go to wingers, but Lindholm has a bit of an advantage here - he’s playing at the very least pseudo centre here. Takes lots of Faceoffs as a top line winger. He plays centre on the PK.

As far as “adding him to awards conversations”, many of the awards are voted on by different groups of people. There isn’t one group that says, “no we have already awarded the Flames too many awards, we have to overlook Lindholm”

The reputation part of the selke is definitely a factor. It almost certainly robbed Backlund of the Selke a couple years ago, when he was the best defensive forward that season.

Anyway, As of today, Lindholm is first among forwards with a +27. Second Place is Colton Sissons at +21. Third place tie is Crosby and Gaudreau at +20. Lindholm leads by 6.

MicKinnon is the only player in the NHL who has been on the ice for more Goals for this season. McKinnon has 89, Lindholm has 87. (Gaudreau is 4th with 84)

Also, the usual suspects are having somewhat off years (to be fair Bergeron has been injured). People rave about Barkov, but he’s been on the ice for 6 more goals than ANY other forward in the league so far this season.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #3803
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Elias Lindholm is on pace for 93 points this year. That's 4 more points than Micheal Ferland had in his entire 4-year tenure with the Calgary Flames.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 AM   #3804
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

4.85m for 5 1/2 more years!!!! Imagine if his contract was coming up this summer. Incredibly fortunate and one of the great acquisitions for this franchise. Will help allow the window to stay open for a bit longer here, hopefully.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #3805
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Analyzing the effectiveness of trade candidate Dougie Hamilton
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ugie-hamilton/

Perhaps this quote from the article sums it up best:

Quote:
Hamilton hasn’t been quite as strong as he was last season overall, but he’s still performed very well so far. It’s worth noting that while the Hurricanes have a plethora of really good defencemen, none of them are at Mark Giordano’s level. So when you look at Hamilton’s raw differentials from last season they’re a little inflated due to playing with one of the best defencemen in the NHL over the past 10 years or so.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #3806
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Elias Lindholm is on pace for 93 points this year. That's 4 more points than Micheal Ferland had in his entire 4-year tenure with the Calgary Flames.
That is an incredible stat when you put it that way. Just amazing what he has brought to that top line.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #3807
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quite the change of tune from last summer when it was Giordano who was lucky to play with "top defenseman" Hamilton, which helped to extend his effectiveness and would be expected to decline after Dougie's departure......

But again the narrative flips because they got blindsided by a bus full of crow.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #3808
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I watch Hanifin I can’t help but think he’s made a concerted effort to focus on defence since this is his first year being matched against top players.

He may be having a little dip in play the last couple of games (normal fluctuation during a season) but I’d classify his game to date as solid.

I realize he’s on pace for 40+ points which is great for second pair but there is a lot more offense in him. I’m not complaining about his play at all. I just think there is more growth in his offensive game to give this year.

I’d like to see him lead the charge a little more. Just take the puck add that extra layer, carry it in and create. He doesn’t have to lug the puck either he can jump up and be tgat other option on the rush.

In preseason and early in the year I noticed he would freeze guys with a fake shot at the point and then walk around guys and attack. Usually he’ll come down the wall and stay outside, holding the puck, circling behind the net looking for a pass. Sometimes he’d shoot from that bad angle (he might try that short side top corner that Johnny sometimes tries) but I’d like to see him get the middle there. He’s got that shifty quality.

Can he skate like Brodie? Does he have the edge work? Can he makes those Brodie like rushes and get back?

He’s young, his game is developing, he’s still developing chemistry and trust with Hamonic and he’s on a new team but I really want to see him stretch his abilities and test his potential - he just oozes talent.

He’s a guy I could see elevating his play in meaningful games.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #3809
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Quite the change of tune from last summer when it was Giordano who was lucky to play with "top defenseman" Hamilton, which helped to extend his effectiveness and would be expected to decline after Dougie's departure......

But again the narrative flips because they got blindsided by a bus full of crow.
Yea its mind boggling how many Flames fans were saying Hamilton is our best dmen. I mean did any of them watch the games? I guess its just stat watchers with homer glasses.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #3810
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Yea its mind boggling how many Flames fans were saying Hamilton is our best dmen. I mean did any of them watch the games? I guess its just stat watchers with homer glasses.
I don't think there were that many saying it.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #3811
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many first 170 posts in this thread are fairly humourous and ridiculously dramatic. Somewhat like a GT.

"RIP Brad Treliving"
"Fold the team and move to Seattle"
Many posters saying they were physically ill.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #3812
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I don't think there were that many saying it.
I remember calling into overtime last year and just being called ridiculous saying the D man to move will be Hamilton. When that trade happened I was absolutelty flabbergasted after I heard it a half hour late, came here and expected so much praise to see people jumping off cliffs.

One of our best trades in history.

Hanafin on pace to produce more than Hamilton without even playing with Gio, and like Scorp said, Lindholm on pace to produce more this season than Ferland has in 4 seasons. Unreal.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #3813
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Many first 170 posts in this thread are fairly humourous and ridiculously dramatic. Somewhat like a GT.

"RIP Brad Treliving"
I'm reading the reactions after the trade right now and it's pretty funny. Pretty much everyone posting has something negative to say.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #3814
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

"RIP Brad Treliving"
I was just reading the first 10 pages of this thread... And was going to post a similar comment. All doom & gloom getting bent over backwards. While it is half a season later and depending upon how Fox ultimately develops, this trade thus far is truly glorious for the Flames - especially with the contract extensions signed over the summer.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #3815
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I was just reading the first 10 pages of this thread... And was going to post a similar comment. All doom & gloom getting bent over backwards. While it is half a season later and depending upon how Fox ultimately develops, this trade thus far is truly glorious for the Flames - especially with the contract extensions signed over the summer.
Fox would have to turn into the next Phil Housley for it to be an even deal at this point
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #3816
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I thought the idea of turning Hamilton into two lesser assets was so stupid instead of trading him one for one for a star winger.

Turns out Brad turned him 1 for 2 into a star winger and replacement D-man.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #3817
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'm reading the reactions after the trade right now and it's pretty funny. Pretty much everyone posting has something negative to say.

Quote:
Wow.Liking this move big time.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #3818
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly I love those reactions. At the time we thought we were dealing the best player in a 3 for 2 trade. Nothing wrong with being upset at all.

At the time my biggest hope was that it'd be a win-win type of trade. Honestly I don't really think that any of us thought that this would be the kind of move that put us into contention. I'm still amazed at how well Lindholm meshes with Sean and Mr. Hockey. But again, looking back...

Tre did us good this time around. Real good.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #3819
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was apprehensive, but not upset. I warmed up to it after letting it sink in.

I was never a big Hamilton fan, but I thought he had more value. I also thought Ferland was a little overrated, but being shallow on RW, I didn't like giving him up. I also didn't anticipate how well Lindholm and Hanifin would fit it at the time, or that Lindholm would be so effective on the RW. I was under the impression that he was a center.

Fox is still a big wildcard in the equation, but either way, it was a great deal for us. I have to shame in my initial reaction.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #3820
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
What are the odds Elias Lindholm wins the Selke Trophy this season? .

Zero. The Selke is won but shut down centres who face the other teams best offence players

Lindholm likely won’t get a vote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote