Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #6081
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's that magical time of year when an Oilers win is as good as a lose, got to keep them in that "Outside of playoffs and top 5 pick" sweet spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #6082
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The "big win" did not move the needle much:

Beat Florida 4-3 (so), playoff odds up 2.2 to 21%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #6083
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Still patiently waiting for the outrage from Edmonton media over the dirty tactics of Connor McDavid

https://twitter.com/user/status/1083553190149218304
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #6084
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

double post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #6085
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Still patiently waiting for the outrage from Edmonton media over the dirty tactics of Connor McDavid

Why is he elbowing a dude in the head who is on his knees?

I imagine that the idea was to get the puck out of the zone?

So he hits the guy, fails to clear the puck and then goes ass over teakettle himself so as to make himself entirely useless?

I know this must be a sensitive subject but......has Connor every...y'know....hit anyone before? Thrown a bodycheck? Anything?

It doesnt look like it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #6086
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Why is SportsNet advertising this as a good hit?
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #6087
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler for size.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1080487405155700736

Spoiler!

edit: realized I botched the context.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 01-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #6088
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
For anyone wondering what this is, it's "goals by forwards who aren't in top four in team goal scoring."

Gee. I wonder why mudcrunch79 selected that fairly arbitrary cut-off point between four and five?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #6089
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
The Oilers remind me of the Calgary Stampeders ...
The Stampeders never had trouble recruiting free agents because players and their families actually want to live here.

The Stampeders were not on every other CFL team's player's no trade list.

The Stampeders were able to hire assistant coaches with skill.

The Stampeders were able to develop their drafted players.

The Stampeders didn't overpay it's overachieving players for 80% of a decade.

That's why the Stampeders eventually got better and why the Oilers will not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #6090
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Ekblad should really be suspended for getting his stick up high on McLightly.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #6091
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The Stampeders never had trouble recruiting free agents because players and their families actually want to live here.

I don't know about all that.... back then, Calgary wasn't the hot attraction for players as it is today, or even was during the Wally era. For example: Dickenson returned to BC and not Calgary from the NFL after Wally went there. Calgary was a hot mess for at least 5 years - not as bad as the Oilers, and certainly the reputation didn't suffer for over a decade like in Edmonton - the longer it goes, the worse it becomes.

The Oilers, just a few years ago, could attract better players and coaches, just for the promise of working with the great Conner, but that to, is fading fast if not already totally gone.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #6092
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about all that.... back then, Calgary wasn't the hot attraction for players as it is today, or even was during the Wally era. For example: Dickenson returned to BC and not Calgary from the NFL after Wally went there. Calgary was a hot mess for at least 5 years - not as bad as the Oilers, and certainly the reputation didn't suffer for over a decade like in Edmonton - the longer it goes, the worse it becomes.

The Oilers, just a few years ago, could attract better players and coaches, just for the promise of working with the great Conner, but that to, is fading fast if not already totally gone.
Reasons why the Stampeders eventually got better and why the Oilers will not. Not reasons the Stampeders were challenged for 5 years.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #6093
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
For anyone wondering what this is, it's "goals by forwards who aren't in top four in team goal scoring."

Gee. I wonder why mudcrunch79 selected that fairly arbitrary cut-off point between four and five?
maybe I'm missing something (context) but actually as interesting as that graphic is its over a week old, I believe since then the Oiler number may have gone down (Caggiula trade- well I guess he still counts but if we are counting Fs in the organization)

I think the numbers are now Oilers 19, Flames 52 if you omit the top 4

they haven't been worldbeaters this year but Backlund and Frolik combined outscore the rest of the Oilers Fs? I think that's true. apologize if I counted wrong on my fingers and toes
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #6094
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No. The stamps got better because Ted Hellerd bought the team from Feterik, the worst owner they've ever had.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #6095
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
No. The stamps got better because Ted Hellerd bought the team from Feterik, the worst owner they've ever had.
So you’re saying if Katz sells the Oilers all of their problems are instantly solved?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #6096
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you’re saying if Katz sells the Oilers all of their problems are instantly solved?
The Stamps' problems were solved "instantly" when they were sold. But the cancer was removed and the recovery was started.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #6097
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uggg
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #6098
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's amazing how bad the media is with #### like this hit.
Because it was McWhiner going elbow first into a guy falling/already on his knees its labeled as "lowering the BOOM"...

Reverse that scenario with Ekblad "laying the boom" on McWhiner and 3/4 of the media is calling for a suspension.

the consistency is just brutal.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6099
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers remind me of the Calgary Stampeders after Wally Buono left and before John Hufnagel took over (2003-2007). The football decisions were horrible and the team wasn't being run like a football team but like a toy for the owner and his family.

The Oiler's owner and his family are running this team like a toy... the owner is not hiring mangers for their management skills, but rather he's hiring his boyhood hockey idols for his own ego and so he can hang out with them and impress them. It's a classical mid-life crisis scenario.

So the Oilers... just like the Stampeders, can be saved... they just need to cure the real cause of their problems and not just go after some fringe symptom and/or scapegoat excuse. In 2005, the Stampeder's owner sold the team to what has now become the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (formerly Calgary Flames Limited Partnership). They quickly cleaned house of all ineffective management and started running the team like an actual football team. In Edmonton.... you need Katz to do the same, he doesn't necessarily have to sell the team, but he needs to purge all (or most) of the management team, and rid the team of all his former idols (and I mean ALL). The problem with having subordinates as idols is that you don't really manage them, you let them convince you that the problems lie elsewhere and they really control you (Katz).

After the purge, Katz needs to step away from all day to day operations and let his new management team run the team like an actaul hockey team. His boy can't greet new draft picks on draft day - that's not stepping away, his entire family needs to step away. Only then... can the Edmonton Oilers begin to recover and win again - just like the Stamps did. It's a hard lesson to learn, but they can be saved, but not until these drastic measures are taken.
I know this isn't a Stampeder thread, but the bad history is driving me nuts.

In 2001, the Stampeders go 8-10 and win the Grey Cup, Feterik buys the team in November, just before the championship, but did not deserve any credit for winning.

In 2002, the Stampeders finish 6-12 and miss the playoffs. Wally leaves because he can't stand the meddling of his owner who wants his son to be the star QB.

Before the 2003 season, Dave Dickenson tries to return to the Stampeders, but is given a low-ball contract offer because Feterik wants his son to be QB and doesn't need the competition. Wally brings Dickenson to BC.

In 2003, the Stampeders finish 5-13 with head coach Jim Barker, who Feterik fires on December 23 in hopes of wrecking his Christmas.

In 2004, the Stampeders finish 4-14 with head coach Matt Dunigan. No one wants to work or play for the Stampeders as it is a total gong show.

In 2005, the Stampeders are rescued by a group which included Ted Hellard, Doug Mitchell John Forzani, Dave Sapunjis, Bob Viccars and others including the Flames with a 5% ownership. They finish 11-7 and Tom Higgins wins coach of the year.

2006-2007, reasonable regular seasons, followed by elimination in the first round of the playoffs.

2008 - Hufnagel is hired and the Stampeders are the class of the CFL ever since.

2012 - The Flames purchase controlling interest (70%) in the Stampeders.

So, the Stamps days of turmoil were only three years, then they were back to respectability.
The Flames did not save the Stampeders. Ted Hellard and others stepped in. The Flames only became major players after the Stampeders had established themselves as a football power in 2012.

The Stampeders were the worst run pro-sports team from 2002-2004, and the Oilers in many resemble the F-Troop years of the Stampeders.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #6100
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hellard doesn't get near enough credit in this town. He had to work hard to make that deal (a buddy of mine helped on the deal). I hope he cashed in via the Flames.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread