Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #141
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
With the Maple Leafs having a Norris contender, let’s be honest, there is a 0% chance Giordano wins this thing. Especially with his history of being criminally underrated by everyone and constantly snubbed throughout his entire career.

Thems the unfair breaks for Giordano, but he just continues to forge ahead all class never complaining and always working his balls off.

This guy is probably my favourite Flame of all time. Sadly I don’t own his jersey yet but that’s because the current set is hideous and I’m waiting (forever....) until they design something worth paying $300 for. But his will be one I purchase.
Maybe if we remind them he was born in Toronto..They can get behind that, right?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Toronto media bias really has only resulted in awards of the touchy feely kind IMO. I mean, Matthews won the Calder, but he deserved it. Aside from that you have to go a long ways back to find a performance award for a Leaf - in 2003 Mogilny won the Byng. Before that, you have to got to 2003 when Gilmour won a Selke and Burns won the Adams.

If Toronto had that much influence I would have thought Sundin would win a Selke or Byng, and he didn't. He got a Messier Leadership award.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #143
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Toronto media bias really has only resulted in awards of the touchy feely kind IMO. I mean, Matthews won the Calder, but he deserved it. Aside from that you have to go a long ways back to find a performance award for a Leaf - in 2003 Mogilny won the Byng. Before that, you have to got to 2003 when Gilmour won a Selke and Burns won the Adams.

If Toronto had that much influence I would have thought Sundin would win a Selke or Byng, and he didn't. He got a Messier Leadership award.
There were many years where MacInnis should have won the Norris while in Calgary but always lost to Bourque who played out east.

Then as soon as Chopper got traded closer out east to St. Louis, he won the Norris and he arguably had it easier out there playing with a prime Pronger.

If Gio and Reilly are anywhere close in points, i'd be shocked if Gio won. They'll point to the great defence partners Gio has and Reilly doesn't have.

Gio's only saving grace will be that he is a Toronto boy. That might help him.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #144
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio is one of the best defensive defensemen since probably 2008.

He's also a point/game player just for fun.

He is such a beast. Here's a guy who should be in the conversation for the Hart as well, but we all know the Hart and Art Ross are one and the same.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #145
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Being legitimately talked about for Norris consideration?

Not invited to the All-Star game?

Sounds like a Flames player to me.

Honestly, the All-star game means sweet #### all. The real recognition will be when he's selected at the end of the season to the 1st or 2nd NHL All-star teams. That's the real All-star selection and I don't doubt he'll be on the 1st team at season's end.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
There were many years where MacInnis should have won the Norris while in Calgary but always lost to Bourque who played out east.

Then as soon as Chopper got traded closer out east to St. Louis, he won the Norris and he arguably had it easier out there playing with a prime Pronger.

If Gio and Reilly are anywhere close in points, i'd be shocked if Gio won. They'll point to the great defence partners Gio has and Reilly doesn't have.

Gio's only saving grace will be that he is a Toronto boy. That might help him.
Oh, there's been some eastern bias. But not Toronto bias per se. Though I'm not sure losing to Ray Bourque is the shocker you do and frankly that was more due to reputation than geography, and maybe a nod to well-roundedness over offence (which makes Reilly the MacInnis and Gio the Bourque in this case).
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #147
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Has this been posted yet?
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/kudo...in/c-303739726

Quote:
"That guy?'' nodded goaltender David Rittich, indicating the thicket of media surrounding Mark Giordano post-game. "I mean, nobody can say enough about him.

"One of the best players I've ever seen. One of the best leaders I've ever met.

"This guy can play in our zone, can play in their zone. He's the guy who can do … everything. Every single game, he's got five blocked shots.

"He's a huge, huge part of this group."
Quote:
In a game like Wednesday's, where the boat's taking on water, threatening to capsize, the first person everyone looks to provide a life preserver is No. 5.

"I do take pride in that," the 35-year-old acknowledged. "Most nights I think Brodes and I are good. We give our team a really good chance to win. When we're not so good we usually don't get victories because we're playing against the other team's top line.

"If the other team's top players are feeling it, you're in trouble. That's our job: Shut them down. I think we had a tough test. Man, those guys (Colorado's top unit of Nathan MacKinnon, Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen) are good."
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #148
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio is now 97th all time in points as an NHL defencemen.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #149
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Win games in the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Norris is strictly a reputation award.

Guys build reps by winning in the playoffs. I'm not trying to diminish how well he's playing, but 8 games over 12 years isn't going to give you a top tier reputation.
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with myself here now.

If Giordano ends up scoring 70+ points he is defacto winner in my mind.

His defensive and minute munching rep is solid, if he's a point per get defender and shatters his career high in points, which he is on pace to do, it will be nearly impossible for him not to ein it. It would take another guy with rep like karlson to put up insane numbers over the final 40 games.

I think after sustaining a ppg pace for 40+ games, it's his to lose at this point.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #150
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Sportsnet’s “What we learned last night” article today

Quote:
To give you further context on how successful the seemingly ageless Giordano has been, consider that no other defenceman who’s at least 35 years old has more than 20 points this season.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #151
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Obsessing over the ‘Toronto media bias’ is more irritating than the Toronto media.

It feels like more people complain about this than Toronto media discusses their teams.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #152
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano was on the NHL Network for an interview. I miss Jackie Redmond.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #153
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't care that Gio didn't make the 'Last man in" that was the fans vote and choice.

I'm just miffed that he didn't make it in as a first ballot all-star. If he was in the East he would have been glorified to hell and back. Just ridiculous this guy doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #154
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great interview with Gio. Just reinforces how lucky the Flames are to have him wear the C.
Also liked how he said Rittich keeps things light in the locker room - said he is a funny guy and sometimes "funny just to look at"! LOL!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #155
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Honestly, the All-star game means sweet #### all. The real recognition will be when he's selected at the end of the season to the 1st or 2nd NHL All-star teams. That's the real All-star selection and I don't doubt he'll be on the 1st team at season's end.
So, do you know if when a player has something like qualifying as an All-Star as a performance bonus in their contract, is it for the game or for the end of season selection thing?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, do you know if when a player has something like qualifying as an All-Star as a performance bonus in their contract, is it for the game or for the end of season selection thing?
First off, only ELCs and +35s can get performance bonuses. I have heard of being named to the ASG as getting an ELC guy a bonus. But I would think both could be in there.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #157
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Hamiltons drop and Brodies rise should support Giordanos case.

There should be no question anymore that it's Gio who makes his partners look like all-stars, not Brodie or Hamilton making him look good.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #158
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I think Hamiltons drop and Brodies rise should support Giordanos case.

There should be no question anymore that it's Gio who makes his partners look like all-stars, not Brodie or Hamilton making him look good.
There is no question that Giordano is a stud - that is not up for debate. But watch Brodie play. If you think he's riding Giordano's coattails, I don't know what to tell you. Brodie has been fantastic all year.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #159
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I almost never see Coaches Corner, but I caught it last night after watching the grease lose and it was awesome to see Cherry giving Gio so much praise.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/videos/show...-corner-video/

Edit: Talks about Gio in last 2 mins of video.

Last edited by GeoRock; 01-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoRock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #160
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that coach's corner will be replaced next year with a segment for Brian Burke.